Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Metal plate under air intake box?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2003, 05:47 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Metal plate under air intake box?

Well I have my big ol' cone filter over there and if I took this plate out would I gain more airflow to my filter?

Would an assload of water get up in my filter if I did this?

Thanks!
Old 06-21-2003, 07:08 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Metal plate under air intake box?

I cut a 4" hole in the plate and piped air from a scoop under the bumper.If I were running a cone filter I would consider removing the plate if I was'nt planning any offroading.You should get cool air from that area.I have'nt had a problem with water but I have a 90 and 2-45 degree bends in my piping.
Old 06-23-2003, 05:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

For the Volant ram air, you completely remove the metal panel, and it bolts up to the 4 holes that the panel bolts onto. Then the hose goes straight down, then bends 90 degrees, then bends to the right 45 degrees and comes out by the tow hook opening. I drilled a hole into the frame and mounted the tubing there. Now I drove in the rain one time, and out of curiousity checked the box, and could see no water in the airbox, and only a little water at the bottom of the hose. The tubing has a huge drain hole anyway. The only thing though that scares me, is that only after 800 miles of driving with this ram air, The filter is filthy. I found tons of little rocks in the airfilter, and some not so little, and some huge bugs. I have never seen this much crap in the airbox of any vehicle that I have ever owned. It's like a vacuum for the street! If you remove the panel or drill a hole, I think for sure you will get better cooler air, and as long as you do not run any tubing down there, I don't see you getting anything up in the airfilter. I will definately have to clean my airfilter about every 3000 miles or so, instead of the recommended 15,000 that Volant says to.
Old 06-23-2003, 01:38 PM
TECH Veteran

"It's like a vacuum for the street!" bwhahahaa That is priceless.

I may just pop out that plate and give it a shot.

Cooler air sure, but will there be any potential power gains by removing this plate?
Old 06-23-2003, 03:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

probably when running at speed. I only noticed that the ram air in my truck feels fantastic when I get it up to 80 or higher. Barely gotta give it any gas when it is running up high. Down low, I don't feel a thing!
Old 06-23-2003, 03:30 PM
TECH Veteran

May have to give that a shot tonight, don't really have much else planned after work! Worse case senario I will just reinstall it.

BTW, how do you like your IAS shocks? I want some for my other truck and no one seems to have them over there...

Thanks!
Old 06-23-2003, 03:31 PM
13 Second Truck Club

Location: Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de la Porciúncula
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I took off that metal plate in my truck. No problems, but I do all street driving with rain once a year here in so. cal.
Old 06-23-2003, 04:47 PM
Teching In

I took my plate out and have had no problems either, and I get rain all of the time in Tn.
Old 06-23-2003, 06:11 PM
TECH Addict

i took mine out too. been driving it for months now like that. no problems. i did some hard core offroading with it like that and still no problems. i drove my truck into the ground that day, ran into some serious mud puddles. the engine bay was douched with mud. my filter had mud on it to. i removed the cone filter and tubing to the TB. i inspected the inside of the tubing and it did not have any water spots or mud anywhere. so the filter did its job pretty well. as for performance, not sure if i noticed a difference or not
Old 06-23-2003, 06:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

HitManX: Loved the Edelbrocks, but they ride real hard for the first month, then they seem to loosen up, and the ride got much smoother. I throw it into corners all the time still, and it does tighten down real nice for handling.

Quick Reply: Metal plate under air intake box?