Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

MIT/Drop-in Filter vs. Full Intake kit

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2012, 12:07 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MIT/Drop-in Filter vs. Full Intake kit

Seeing that everyone has there own jist of an intake, Everyone gets the same gains out of an MIT compared to a full cold air kit, just around $150-$200 cheaper, Correct?
Dont wanna spend anymore money than I have too
Old 05-22-2012, 12:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I actually like the MIT/factory box setup alot more than the "cold air kits" that suck all the hot air from the engine bay with a open element filter.

Ive put a home made 4" intake on my truck that 90s down between the bumper and inner fender and it doesnt get near as cool air as the stock box did.
Old 05-22-2012, 12:23 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by nonnieselman
I actually like the MIT/factory box setup alot more than the "cold air kits" that suck all the hot air from the engine bay with a open element filter.

Ive put a home made 4" intake on my truck that 90s down between the bumper and inner fender and it doesnt get near as cool air as the stock box did.
Koo, yea thinkin of just buying the K&N Drop-in withe the airraid tube, just dont get the whole cutting out the bottom that everyones talking about
Old 05-22-2012, 12:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yea, pulling air from the fender well works great. Pulling from the hot engine bay, not so much
Old 05-22-2012, 01:14 PM
Man Motor club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just got the whole Airaid Jr setup and I couldn't be more happy with it. I've been driving with it for over 15000 miles. Synthetic dry filter element so cleaning is a breeze and you never have to worry about oil getting to the throttle body, even if you throw on a blower down the line, and the MIT is much more cost-effective than a CAI.
Old 05-22-2012, 01:59 PM
On The Tree

Default After the fact but

I've got 120k/10 years from my krap/nasty CAI. I use the leg of pantyhose as a prefilter. It keeps the bugs out!
Old 05-22-2012, 02:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have the MIT and the drop in filter and love it. Growels like a *****.... Now I just want to figure out how to get a ls7 maf in there.... i bought my stuff at autoanything and got a good discount. there are plenty of online coupons out there for that site.
Old 05-22-2012, 03:28 PM
Teching In

Good **** Peeps thinking I might go that rout, but really like the Volant and AFE intakes
Old 05-22-2012, 09:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

the goal is more cooler air, i dont see that happening pulling air from the engine bay. Talk to some tuners, they can tell you what has cooler air from logs.
Old 05-22-2012, 09:20 PM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

A lot of people complain about an open element sucking air from the engine bay but I dont think a lot of people fully think it through. I had a volant intake that sucked from below and from the fender. In theory it sounds great. What Corey and I noticed while logging was that it heat soaked BAD and caused the computer to pull timing due to high IATs. Id have to get atleast half a mile down the road before IATs would drop enough to get my timing back whereas his was instant almost running an open element filter. I havent had the time to expirement and see just how much timing and heat you can get away with before getting knock but I think people make too big of a deal out of the open vs closed debate. Especially if you dont have tuning software to tinker with.

If youre going to close off the box and run a ram air tube from the grill or bumper then I can see it helping due to the ram air effect but otherwise I think youre wasting your money on a high dollar intake.

You can get an ebay heatshield with filter for 40 bucks, mandrel bent 4" tube and some couplers for under 100 bucks. Spend the money saved on other more worthwhile goodies, just my opinion/experience.

Quick Reply: MIT/Drop-in Filter vs. Full Intake kit