Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

MIT/Drop-in Filter vs. Full Intake kit

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2012, 12:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by WhiteChevy3
I just used some 4in drain pipe, a 900 degree elbow I got off the net 20$ and the transition for the MAF got it at lowes. It works good and cost me less than 50$. I wrapped the tube with header wrap to try to keep heat out.
This works, I just did the 4" drain pipe with some silicone parts from the net and I could tell an immediate difference in throttle response. I was suprised that I could actually feel it. Total cost me $65, still using stock box and filter.
Old 10-08-2012, 12:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AutoAnything
We appreciate it! And now that we are a new site sponsor, I have a coupon code in my siggy that you can use anytime! Also, for the items that are on our exclusion list (meaning no online discounts), just call/chat with us for the best possible deal.

We also price match and offer a 1-year low price guarantee!!
Just ordered an Airraid jr kit from you.... Awesome price W/free shipping.

Thanks!

Eric
Old 10-09-2012, 05:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I just cut the baffles off my stock tube, cut the stock box and the metal plate below to allow the air to go straight in the bottom, and dropped a K & N filter in the stock box....noticed immediate throttle response and so far I have gained .5 mpg in the past 2 weeks normal driving. Here is the kicker....I was getting 8-9 mpg pulling my 21' Sea Hunt and that jumped to 11 mpg so THAT I am the most thrilled with. I spent $55 on the filter and some epoxy to plug the baffle holes on the stock intake tube. Those are real results and definitely worth my $55.
Old 10-26-2012, 08:47 AM
Teching In

From my experience the full cai helps. about 1 mpg or better (if i can keep my foot out of it) with my 04 z71 5.3. seems to help as far a performance goes, little more responsive. but i did also pick it up for 40$
Old 10-26-2012, 10:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 103 Likes on 74 Posts

If you have a GMT800 get the fender mount airbox from a GMT900 if you want to do the MIT. They clip right into place and have the full side of the box open towards the fender ( mostly). There was one cross bar I cut out on both of my GMT900 boxes to open it up completely. See about it here:

https://www.performancetrucks.net/fo...arison-494962/

Then just mark your inner fender and trim it to match the inlet of the airbox. You don't need the whole thing either. I like having my correct lid and you can use the lid from your GMT800 box as they are identical that way. Once you get beyond 09 you have to anyhow as the newer trucks are setup for a card MAF.... unless you want to swap that over too, lol.

You could cut the stock box the same way but most of this kind of stuff can be had for nothing and the GMT900 box has a nice foam seal already on it lol.

One thing I noticed after this mod on my 05 is now my MIT equipped intake is much louder than stock. Before with the stock GMT800 box in place with the MIT tube the intake noise sounded no different than with the factory tube. It may have helped for power up top but my butt dyno is pretty unresponsive so no comment there. Mileage is moot with me, I don't drive in a manner to see any kind of difference.
Old 10-26-2012, 12:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

And now going to track down a new air box and intake tube...
Old 10-26-2012, 10:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 103 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by Slammed96
And now going to track down a new air box and intake tube...
The intake tube off the GMT900 is more of a snake than the one off a GMT800. A chunk of PVC would be a better choice than that thing. Not to mention it has the 2 big long silencers that go over the intake manifold on the right side of the throttle body. If you really wanted the tube you could have mine ( from an 08) before I trash can it but you are a little far away lol.
Old 02-28-2013, 08:51 AM
Teching In

Just did this to my wife's truck. Under normal driving it's hardly noticable sound wise. Full throttle in the upper revs is where you'll hear it. The truck seems to have a little bit quicker throttle response. Where it really shines is WOT 1-2 shift. This truck still has factory tune and lags big time on the 1-2 shift. This air intake setup helps out with the "lag". It doesn't fall on it's face quite as bad as before. I guess getting the air in quicker allows the engine to recover faster from the torque management?? If that even makes sense.

All in all it's money well spent.
Old 02-28-2013, 03:43 PM
Staging Lane

I just cut the front of the factory box open a few days ago with the same results ^^

Just yesterday I scored a Spectre intake for free but retained my OEM (modified) airbox & filter, just used the 4" tube

LOVE IT
Old 02-28-2013, 04:07 PM
On The Tree

I have a slp black wing box, it's similar to a volant hopefully that works out a little better than the oem, I have a 2000 scsb 5.3 so we will see when I get it on here

Quick Reply: MIT/Drop-in Filter vs. Full Intake kit