Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Modified Truck intake

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2008, 12:00 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Modified Truck intake

Has anyone done this modification?

I ran across some postings on some Cobalt, and some other sites where they talked about modifing the stock intake box. Either by filling in the "cubes" in the box lid or by actually cutting and sanding them out.

I personally used Bondo with fiberglass.

Then proceeded to fill in the cube areas of the lid of my box, and sanding them smooth after the hardening process finished. I only played around for about an hour, but still need to finish smoothing the sides plus a couple of blemishes on the top. I am about 80% done, and on my way home it seemed to help with torque quite abit.

I was driving 70 mph south on the 57 freeway here in LA area where we have a 5% hill, and it stayed right at 1700 rpm. Usually when I hit this hill my rpm goes to 1900 rpm to maintain speed.

My next step is to figure a way to get a ram air effect too.
Old 08-01-2008, 12:10 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by L7 Sierra
Has anyone done this modification?

I ran across some postings on some Cobalt, and some other sites where they talked about modifing the stock intake box. Either by filling in the "cubes" in the box lid or by actually cutting and sanding them out.

I personally used Bondo with fiberglass.

Then proceeded to fill in the cube areas of the lid of my box, and sanding them smooth after the hardening process finished. I only played around for about an hour, but still need to finish smoothing the sides plus a couple of blemishes on the top. I am about 80% done, and on my way home it seemed to help with torque quite abit.

I was driving 70 mph south on the 57 freeway here in LA area where we have a 5% hill, and it stayed right at 1700 rpm. Usually when I hit this hill my rpm goes to 1900 rpm to maintain speed.

My next step is to figure a way to get a ram air effect too.
LOL at this entire post. Thanks for making my night.
Old 08-01-2008, 12:15 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

i would invest in an electric supercharger helps decrease gas mileage by 40%
Old 08-01-2008, 12:33 AM
TECH Resident

i would invest in an electric supercharger helps decrease gas mileage by 40%
That's hilarious, my roomate sold those on Ebay all through college and made good money off morons They are just electric pumps off of big boats...

oh btw good luck with the intake project
Old 08-01-2008, 01:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

ive been thinking of moving the maf to the throttle body and fabbing up some sort of functional intake , with an aftermarket hood. i guess this may be a bad idea
Old 08-01-2008, 01:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

i had to edit that like 6 times, jesus
Old 08-01-2008, 02:08 AM
Staging Lane

Have you seen the metric crescent wrench aswell? It will help tighten those loose bolts up.
Old 08-01-2008, 08:38 AM
Staging Lane

seriously?
Old 08-01-2008, 10:52 AM
TECH Regular

Slow8

The Dodge boys have something like that for there 5.7 Hemi Ram.

But it doesn't hook to the hood but rather makes it look like the 6 pack air cleaner with a ram air from the grille. http://www.vararam.com/hemi.html
Old 08-01-2008, 11:01 AM
TECH Regular

If you think about it every cold air intake system uses a smooth pipe, and a conical filter to smooth out airflow.

Even the Volant system is exactly the same as the K+N, but with a lid and sometimes a ram air tube.

I am just being cheap, and decided to smooth the lid area of the factory box to ease air flow into my smooth tube to give me more HP. Smoothing the lower section would do nothing.

Aerodynamics matter and thats all I tried to do. Otherwise none of you would ever replace your air intake system. Your truck does not move enough air to need anything more then the factory panel.

Quick Reply: Modified Truck intake