Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Mods

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2010, 03:43 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is this ride a daily driver, or is going to hit the track more than once a month?
Better yet, has the smack talk gotten so bad that your desparate for fast for little or no money? Guess what, it ain't happening.

So figure out whats going to get you the win on the track, or win with a female and let us know.
Old 07-16-2010, 04:02 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by lady3bglover
is this ride a daily driver, or is going to hit the track more than once a month?
Better yet, has the smack talk gotten so bad that your desparate for fast for little or no money? Guess what, it ain't happening.

So figure out whats going to get you the win on the track, or win with a female and let us know.
well i daily drive it but it sees...not really track time, more just like street racing...but i was talking cheap as in like 2 grand cheap, i just dont wanna go any further than maybe a cam...so no bottom end work no nitrous no boost...any ideas for heads cam intake transmission, stuff like that...
Old 07-16-2010, 05:15 PM
TECH Addict

If i were you id get a good pair of longtubes(pacesetter's), a stall torque converter (circle d) and a vette servo for the 2nd gear, plus a good tune. If your still not happy a tsp or tr 220 grind cam with the supporting mods and a retune should hit your target.
Old 07-16-2010, 08:23 PM
TECH Addict

I like that idea Chevy5.3 .. though before we dropped the cam in my truck, the rear end was built up ... ie 4.10's and Eaton

I didn't see what rear end he was running or size of wheels. If he's still stock... 18's and 3.42's?
Old 07-16-2010, 10:08 PM
TECH Resident

i like that idea chevy5.3 .. Though before we dropped the cam in my truck, the rear end was built up ... Ie 4.10's and eaton

i didn't see what rear end he was running or size of wheels. If he's still stock... 18's and 3.42's?
yes its still stock... And how hard and how much would it cost to put an eaton in one?? And the only thing i didnt like about the idea was the vette servo...doesnt that make for harder shifts, i like that but not for driving around stoplight to stoplight...thats why on my tune nelson is going to make it where its only firm at wot...what other tranny upgrades would i need to make
Old 07-17-2010, 02:46 AM
TECH Addict

The Servos would be the lesser of any trans mod, and yes the shifts will be more firm but not hard, and the tune will help with that.

As far as the trans itself ... you'd have to ask yourself. How much longer is your stock trans going to last with the type of driving that you're doing now, are you sticking with the 5.3l or going up?

For the rear, the 3.73's and Eaton should run you under $1k.

The easier of everything is to take baby steps, UDP, CAI, Wires, Tr55's, and a good tune. It's inevitable that parts are going to start to crap out b/c of the age of the truck, so be prepared. There are plenty of post on this site that will help you make your decisions.
Old 07-17-2010, 06:12 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by bmd_CL
yes its still stock... And how hard and how much would it cost to put an eaton in one?? And the only thing i didnt like about the idea was the vette servo...doesnt that make for harder shifts, i like that but not for driving around stoplight to stoplight...thats why on my tune nelson is going to make it where its only firm at wot...what other tranny upgrades would i need to make
The corvette servo just applys more holding pressure to the 2nd gear band to keep it from slipping, not necessarly causing a harsh 1-2 shift. I installed a servo in both my truck and a friends bone stock 4.8 extended cab and the most noticable gain was a better shift time between gears and a almost un-noticable firmer shift. If you mess with tranny line pressure then theres where you can make the shifts harder.
Old 07-17-2010, 01:01 PM
TECH Resident

The Servos would be the lesser of any trans mod, and yes the shifts will be more firm but not hard, and the tune will help with that.

As far as the trans itself ... you'd have to ask yourself. How much longer is your stock trans going to last with the type of driving that you're doing now, are you sticking with the 5.3l or going up?

For the rear, the 3.73's and Eaton should run you under $1k.

The easier of everything is to take baby steps, UDP, CAI, Wires, Tr55's, and a good tune. It's inevitable that parts are going to start to crap out b/c of the age of the truck, so be prepared. There are plenty of post on this site that will help you make your decisions.
i think im gonna try to stay with the 5.3 for now...til it blows or i find a good deal on either a 6.0 or an ls1...and the next thing i was gonna buy was gonna be a cai then asp udps and then probably a nelson tune...what kind of wires would you suggest?? and what exactly are tr55s?
Old 07-17-2010, 01:06 PM
The House is Rockin'

Originally Posted by bmd_CL
and what exactly are tr55s?

they are ngk spark plugs, part# (3951)