Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

More 8.1 info needed ...

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2003, 10:53 PM
7 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

7 flat in the 1/8th is a very high 10,11 flat 1/4 mile time.That is a very big goal for either engine.Personally if my main goal was to run those times I would build a 422 solid-roller,put it in a RCSB and spray a 400 shot.
Old 12-28-2003, 11:22 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Jorday
7.49 is hauling ***, but the D-Max can do it. A guy on the thedieselpage.com ran 7.6x 1/8 mile in his CCSB 2500HD 4x4 Duramax/Allison. This was still with 100% stock engine. Stock turbo, stock injectors, etc. He was running nitrous, though. I think the truck ran 7.99 on diesel only. I wonder what his times would have been if his truck was a RCLB 2wd.

Yeah 7.49 is really gettin it, and I'd be happy even with a high 7 sec run. I know that guy you are talking about Tomac or something right? I read there, just don't post as I don't own a DMax.

Hell there is a place here locally that ports turbo exhuast housings for $95. I also thought about getting the manifolds ported to more flow too.

Know of anyone with electric fans on a DMax? 180* thermostats? I know they take a while to heat up as is, but would lower temp thermos help out at all?

Also since a diesel is an open manifold (no TB) being based on total airflow then fuel input I think a set of ported heads (well polished too) would make a mad difference in HP and TQ potential...along with a ported intake manifold. Then I don't think that stock turbo could support that 30PSI w/ like that.

Thoughts?
Old 12-28-2003, 11:36 PM
10 Second Club

Yup, the truck that I was talking about belongs to Michael Tomac. The videos of his truck running are at a track right near me, but he's never there when I am.

As far as the ported intake, TB, aftermarket turbo...I don't know too much because I haven't read about too many guys tearing into the engine yet.
Old 12-28-2003, 11:59 PM
TECH Veteran

Yup, the truck that I was talking about belongs to Michael Tomac. The videos of his truck running are at a track right near me, but he's never there when I am.

As far as the ported intake, TB, aftermarket turbo...I don't know too much because I haven't read about too many guys tearing into the engine yet.
Yeah that guy busted an 11.9X here recently! I'd like to see what more injector will do for him.

From my memory a larger turbo will lower EGTs so maybe a year or so from now a few upgrades will be available like for the Cummins and Powerstroke.

Hell even a 7.9 1/8mi run would pretty much tear up anything in this area that is streetable and legal. A 7.9 is faster than a 12.4 1/4 mi run right?
Old 12-29-2003, 12:49 AM
10 Second Club

Here is a breakdown of a couple of his runs that he posted on thedieselpage.com a little while ago. I think he posts on here sometimes, too.

diesel & nitrous
60' 1.73
1/8 7.68@93.14mph
1/4 11.95@111.46

diesel only
60' 1.72
1/8 7.99@89.02
1/4 12.49@105.37
Old 12-29-2003, 01:10 AM
TECH Veteran

Okay so what I want speed wise isn't too far off base by any means at all. Supposedly those injectors are good for another 80-100hp also. Well I just need to wait a few more months to get back on top payment on this Z71 and should be well standing then.
Old 12-29-2003, 01:21 AM
10 Second Club

The suncoast allison is supposed to be great, too. It seems like the guys that have them have had good luck with them so far, even with insane levels of torque.

Only drawback is that they are 5k. I wish I had some spare cash, I'd get one myself. Then the extreme D-Max mods would be on the truck. I guess you would probably need some transmission upgrades regardless of which engine you use.
Old 12-29-2003, 01:38 AM
TECH Veteran

The suncoast allison is supposed to be great, too. It seems like the guys that have them have had good luck with them so far, even with insane levels of torque.

Only drawback is that they are 5k. I wish I had some spare cash, I'd get one myself. Then the extreme D-Max mods would be on the truck. I guess you would probably need some transmission upgrades regardless of which engine you use.

Yeah they have some crazy guts for those now...double sided clutches or something I was reading. That tranny has only clutch packs too so it just slips instead of breaking. Oh yeah...it also has a 2 year warranty and no HP/TQ limits. "Stage V: Complete transmission assembly, includes Transgo, Triple disc torque converter, controlled pressure cutback valve, C-2,C-3,C-4 custom Hi-energy clutch paks with kolene steels, 16 C-1 single side frictions with triple billet pistons for high boost launches, cast aluminum deep sump pan. $5195"

A Suncoast converter, TransGo, and C2 pack make that tranny hold a lot more power for $1500 or $1800 (I forget which ). Around 450rwhp I think.

I already had a tranny build up planned too. Since this thread pretty much made me just stick with the Dmax I will go back to my original plans for that. I plan to wait until 6-8K mi for the Edge Hot OJ box. FIPK will go on almost as soon as I get home and the 4" exhaust shortly after. That's after I get all the fluids changed: motor oil, diff oils, fuel filter, and transfer case.
Old 12-29-2003, 02:56 AM
TECH Resident

the last k5 blazer was made in 1991 actually. And im not gonna be happy with a small block in that truck, I want some serious torque, and a stroked 454 is the best choice for me in that truck.

Like I said before, Id rather have the 8.1. Nobody is building these motors up, and you definately would be different. I would like to see a built H/C 8.1 truck. Maybe with a little bit of nitrous. Like what was said before, they seem to not hold up to boost very well. So unless you go internal on it, you may not want to boost it. But if you put a strong rotating assembly in there, then youd have a huge HP turbo motor.

There are a lot of cams out there and im sure there are good heads as well. Thats what id really like to see. Diesels are popular right now, but Big Blocks are still badass
Old 12-29-2003, 09:54 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Hit Man X
I plan to wait until 6-8K mi for the Edge Hot OJ box.
I but some good break in miles on my truck before installing the juice, only like 1700 though. Seems like this engine takes a good while to fully break in because many people report fuel economy improving all the way up to 10k miles. I'm still waiting for my first 20+ mpg average for a tank, my best so far is only 18.

Quick Reply: More 8.1 info needed ...