Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

More electric cooling fan questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2003, 09:25 PM
Tech Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default More electric cooling fan questions

Well it looks like my only option for an electric fan is either an LS1 twin fan or Flex a lite 295 fan.

I am planning to go with the 295 BUT I have a few questions.

The Flex a lite page says this fan comes with an adjustable switch from 180 degrees and up. If I have a 160 degree thermostat what would I do?

Is there ANY way to control the fan with my Predator or is this unnecessary?

Last question is, does any one have pics of this 295 fan after it's installed?

Thanks for any info
Old 05-30-2003, 09:41 PM
TECH Junkie

Default Re: More electric cooling fan questions

I bought 2-14" Hayden fans at Autozone for less than $150. At Pep Boys they have an adjustable thermostat that comes with all wire and connectors. It adjusts from 32-245 degrees, so you can set it to come on anywhere in between.
Old 05-30-2003, 09:43 PM
TECH Junkie

O-yea, the thermostat costs $29.
Old 05-30-2003, 09:50 PM
Tech Fanatic

Hey thanks for the info!

I actually just found ANOTHER fan kit that will work from Summit. Its a Perma Cool dual fan setup. I have seen pics of this fan and it looks really nice.
Up until now it looked like Flex a lite was the only manufacturer of fan setups for smaller radiator trucks.
The perma cool fan is $200 MORE than the Flex a lite though. The perma cool does have a slick looking aluminum shroud and fans that supposedly bolt right into stock mounting holes, no cutting or anything.

I just wonder about the heat absorbtion of the Perma cool's aluminum shroud and fan blades. I know the Flex a lite fans have plastic blades and shrouds though.

To be honest money isn't really a problem. I dont care how much I spend I just want the best fan that will install with the least modifications under my hood.

Heres the link from summit with info on the Perma cool fan: http://store.summitracing.com/partde...rt=PRM%2D19517
Old 05-30-2003, 10:47 PM
Adkoonerstrator

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The controller that comes with the 295's is the VSC. It came with the 282's that I have also. I'm pretty sure that it can be set lower than 180 degrees. I'll check sometime this weekend but, right now the truck is jacked up, tore down, and exhaustless. I don't want to start it in that condition, it might be a little loud with NO headers.

BTW, I have a 160degree thermo and 34" radiator also. When driving on the highway the temperature stays around 165. My fans don't come on until like 180-190(not sure) so they don't run at all on the highway. When I come to a stop they come on for about 20-30 seconds and then shut off for almost a minute. If you set the on temp. too low they'll run all the time which will kill your battery if you stay still long enough.

I imagine the 295's and smaller radiator would still be similiar.

Hope that helps some.

John
Old 06-01-2003, 06:27 PM
Teching In

Is there ANY way to control the fan with my Predator or is this unnecessary?

Last question is, does any one have pics of this 295 fan after it's installed?

Thanks for any info
No way to control the fans with the Predator. I have some pics of my 295's that I'll try to get uploaded. Real easy install and fit like a glove. Cover all the wires with loom and it looks OEM. I have had my fans on since Jan., and they have only kicked on once, for about 30 secs, without the AC being on. I have the stock t-stat, but I want to switch to a 180.
Old 06-01-2003, 10:52 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey man I'm not trying to start anything, but I have my LS1 fans wired to run all the time when the truck is on. I also have both underdrive pulleys. I have let the truck idle for over 30 minutes, and it never kills my battery. Just thought I would let you know my experience in case you want to try setting the fan thermostat lower.
Old 06-01-2003, 11:41 PM
Teching In

OOPS! Just realized I have the 282's with the 34" radiator and not the 295's
Old 06-01-2003, 11:41 PM
blownerator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

sstein77 post those pics!!!! I am very interested to see how they look before I buy them.....e-mail them to me if you can!!

Thanks!
Old 06-02-2003, 07:35 AM
Launching!

marine I am working with one of the techs at diablo to see if they can turn on the fans through the pcm. I wired everything this weekend I just need the pcm to do it's thing. I'll let you know what comes of this.
Lar

Quick Reply: More electric cooling fan questions