Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

The most bang for the buck in a PROGRAMMER for a 5.3L

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2010, 06:26 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

since no one here can answer the question you asked, I will tell you of my experience. I bought a hypertech for my firebird. It was not worth the money by any means. the only feature that I liked was being able to adjust for custom tire settings. the tune was a joke. I later did a mail order tune theough pcm 4 less for $250 (less than the price of the tuner) which helped my cam/heads firebird run much much better. it wasnt a dyno tune, but the nearest dyno is 150 miles from here and they charge nearly the same price as the mail order tune.

I know a local guy with an 02 WS6, he has a Diablo Sport and says that he is impressed with it. Im planning on doing business with pcm 4 less when I actually get some worthwile mods done to my silverado.
Old 03-16-2010, 06:30 PM
TECH Addict

Received 57 Likes on 35 Posts

I will say that i like my predator for what its worth, i didnt pay very much and with some fine tuning ive gotten pretty good gains.
Now with that said, ive got a blackbear tune sitting here waiting on me to install my LTs, with everybody yelling buy a tune around here you almost have to buy into it. im hoping it lives up to it when i finally get both in and im not let down..
just my 2cents
Old 03-16-2010, 07:14 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by skolman91
I will say that i like my predator for what its worth, i didnt pay very much and with some fine tuning ive gotten pretty good gains.
Now with that said, ive got a blackbear tune sitting here waiting on me to install my LTs, with everybody yelling buy a tune around here you almost have to buy into it. im hoping it lives up to it when i finally get both in and im not let down..
just my 2cents
I am sure it will live up to it. I know dyno numbers dont mean **** but i gained 25rwhp with a tune only before LTs. I doubt there is any programmer out there that will give you anymore than 10-15rwhp..
Old 03-16-2010, 07:54 PM
TECH Addict

Received 57 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by D_reks{5.3}
I am sure it will live up to it. I know dyno numbers dont mean **** but i gained 25rwhp with a tune only before LTs. I doubt there is any programmer out there that will give you anymore than 10-15rwhp..
I have no doubt a in person dyno or street tune is worth it, i was just saying i hope that a mail order is that much more noticeable then what i have now. and i would agree with the 10-15rwhp range for a handheld, feels about like what i have gotten out of it. but anything after that you need a custom tune, so in the end if you cant get a diablo(dont even mess with the other ones) for really cheap, it probably makes sense to go with the custom tune off the bat for cheaper easier future retunes..

Last edited by skolman91; 03-16-2010 at 08:07 PM.
Old 03-16-2010, 09:44 PM
Wearin' da big hat

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Why is Diablosport even a sponsor here anymore lol
Old 03-16-2010, 09:49 PM
Where's the Beef?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 00ChevyScott
lol... No ****.. As I read this thread, there is a Superchips ad at the top of the page.
Old 03-17-2010, 01:35 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 00ChevyScott
Originally Posted by viciousknid
lol... No ****.. As I read this thread, there is a Superchips ad at the top of the page.
for the few dodge and fords guys we have i would guess.
Old 03-17-2010, 02:09 PM
Wearin' da big hat

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Most of them run SCT now anyways.
Old 03-17-2010, 04:25 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

its not just the power from a real tune but its the driveability. i borrowed my buddys superchips he was selling just to see how i liked it. i felt a little bit of gain but the shifts were so sloppy like it was riding a lutch in a manual car lol.

also my converter wouldnt lock till 55mph crusing. which killed my mpg in one day it dropped over 2mpg. there improved response comes from the truck not being locked up and laying in the throttle a little bit just makes it seem more responsive.

i had other bolt ons before my tune, but my blackbear tune was the ****. the way it shifts, the throttle response, the power, just all around.

i got lucky and didnt need a crank relearn for some reason but the security relearn took 45 mins and was killing me just sitting there waiting to drive it lol.
Old 03-19-2010, 02:19 PM

Thank you all...so i should research a tune shop such as dyno-comp or someone of the sort that i can go to and they can directly play with my computer with their software and tune my truck to its maximum capabilities? Is this still possible to do on pretty much stock 5.3 besides having a full exhaust and intake?

Quick Reply: The most bang for the buck in a PROGRAMMER for a 5.3L