Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

The most bang for the buck in a PROGRAMMER for a 5.3L

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2010, 02:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Evil Eric
since no one here can answer the question you asked, I will tell you of my experience. I bought a hypertech for my firebird. It was not worth the money by any means. the only feature that I liked was being able to adjust for custom tire settings. the tune was a joke. I later did a mail order tune theough pcm 4 less for $250 (less than the price of the tuner) which helped my cam/heads firebird run much much better. it wasnt a dyno tune, but the nearest dyno is 150 miles from here and they charge nearly the same price as the mail order tune.

I know a local guy with an 02 WS6, he has a Diablo Sport and says that he is impressed with it. Im planning on doing business with pcm 4 less when I actually get some worthwile mods done to my silverado.
hey whats up man, thanks for the information and sorry for the ignorance towards the subject, im trying to gather as much info and read up on this as much as possible. What do you mean by mail order custom tune? And i hear what your saying about the dyno...so if i go to a local dyno around where i live they can tune my silverado the best of its abilities?
Old 03-19-2010, 02:52 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the best for you would be a street tune. the tuner will plug into your pcm and drive around with you for a few minutes with his laptop and make adjustments. this will be the best for driveability. since your truck is near stock, a mailorder tune will be the second best choice.
check into the sponsors to the right>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
wheatley or blackbear are both good tuners. they will send you a new pcm in the mail. you just replace your stock one and ship it back to them as a core. hope this helps
Old 03-19-2010, 06:07 PM
On The Tree

I have heard good things about Black Bear tune, and I use PCM for Less. There are other mail order tuners out there too. I have talked with Bryan at pcm for less several times an have bought a few tunes from them for LT1's and LSx vehicles.
Old 03-20-2010, 04:16 PM
The House is Rockin'

efi alchemy, who tuned my truck also does mail order tuning. heres there website if your interested http://www.efialchemy.com/