Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Motor/Tranny Swap Under Way!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2006, 07:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Hemi Killer
Few quick questions:
-When disconnecting the fuel lines, the tool says to relieve pressure first. Can this be done by disconnecting the fuel filter?
-The SA design book says to use a radiator hook tool for the radiator hose, wiring clips and connectors. What do ya'll use? Part #?

Thanks Guys!
1- remove fuel cap, relieve pressure at the fuel rail, i believe theres a port on the passanger side, its like a tire valve, you push the pin in, and fuel comes out (use a rag under it)

2- my hands? lol
Old 12-14-2006, 07:59 AM
14 Second Truck Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks!
Old 12-14-2006, 03:46 PM
14 Second Truck Club

Made some more progress. I removed the water pump and all the hoses. I moved the whole bracket (alternator, power steering) out of the way. Ya'll were right, the power steering pulley puller and all that crap is a waste of time.

It took me a few minutes to figure out how to disconnect the injectors. Once I realized it was very easy, I labeled and disconnected all the hoses, wires to the intake manifold.

My motor is filthy! Moregrip got my hopes up with his spotless 6.0! I've got a thin layer of oil around almost all the intake ports. I'm really considering doing the LS6 intake conversion now, because I don't feel like doing all this **** again in a month or two!

Question about the AC. I removed the two bolts on the bottom. Then the two clips that I found. When I started undoing the bolts on the top, they won't come out all the way. I tried pulling it and it's still on there pretty good. Do I unbolt the thing that I'm pointing at in the picture? It looks like something I shouldn't mess with, will it screw up the AC?
Old 12-14-2006, 04:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

thanks for the pics, keep us posted.
Old 12-14-2006, 04:27 PM
High on diesel fumes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you unbolt the a/c compressor from the bracket first you can pull it out of the way, and that thing you are pointing at will move with it. Then unbolt the bracket separately (or leave it on there, I don't think it will get in the way).

And for the oil issue around your intake ports - a new set of intake gaskets should fix that. I don't think it's a problem with your manifold.
Old 12-15-2006, 11:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by thunder550
...And for the oil issue around your intake ports - a new set of intake gaskets should fix that. I don't think it's a problem with your manifold.
i agree. also, a catch can will help keep the oil out of the intake and ports.
Old 12-15-2006, 12:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

as Thunder550 pointed out, you are pointing at one of the bolts that secures the bracket for the compressor, you have to remove the compressor first. There's more bolts under the compressor
Old 12-15-2006, 04:17 PM
14 Second Truck Club

Any tips on getting the tq converter bolts out?
Old 12-15-2006, 04:20 PM
High on diesel fumes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Pull the starter, rotate the crank till you can see a bolt in the starter hole, remove it, rotate till you see the next bolt, repeat.....

I have a big open-ended wrench that I put around the converter feet to keep the thing from spinning while I break the bolts loose.
Old 12-15-2006, 04:39 PM
14 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by thunder550
Pull the starter, rotate the crank till you can see a bolt in the starter hole, remove it, rotate till you see the next bolt, repeat.....

I have a big open-ended wrench that I put around the converter feet to keep the thing from spinning while I break the bolts loose.
I had a breaker bar that I was gonna have somebody hold the crank bolt with to stop it from spinning. Is this a bad idea?

Are you supposed to heat the converter bolts or anything? I'm scared to death that I'm gonna screw them up with that damn hex-bit.

Quick Reply: Motor/Tranny Swap Under Way!!!