Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Motor won't idle down

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2010, 09:38 PM
Where's the Beef?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe it's all hopped up on Mt. Dew!!!
Old 11-04-2010, 09:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by BBC+T56
I'm assuming this motor is in your circle track car? I had the exact thing happening to my circle track car years ago (when I used to race). Ended up being the distributor in my case. What kind of distributor are you using?
its an msd pro billet distributor. I've played with the timing clear from 22 degrees to 40 and no effect. When I get it running tomorrow and it still acts the same I'll borrow a distributor and see if that helps at all.
Old 11-07-2010, 10:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My distributor was a HEI unit made by DUI. I'm prety sure it was the module. If you are runing a seperate ignition box like a 6AL the problem could be in the ignition box instead of the distributor. I remember my motor would get around 2000 rmp, die, then the motor would roll backwards a little. Timing always checked out good.
Old 11-10-2010, 12:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

sounds like a vacum issue to me. With a big cam like that you'll lose you vacum pressure. You may want to add a vacum can or a pump to get the vacum pressure back up. I know a guy here locally that put a big cam in a SBC motor and he thought that the carb was f-ed up with A/F ratio. but when he did a vacum test he notice below normal pressure readings.

Some other things that rob vacum pressure are power brakes! I know on my truck when I step on the brake the vacum pressure gets low and the motor wants to idle high in order to compensate for the low pressure that is being used for the brake system. Once I let off the brake it idles fine. I know I have some timing issues also, but the major factor is vacum.

I dont know what your setup is so I can only offer those idears!
Old 11-10-2010, 12:12 PM
11 Second Club

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

i still think its his torque converter
Old 11-12-2010, 07:47 PM

The transmission he has doesn't require a torque converter. It is made specificaly for circle track racing. The only thing there is in the bellhousing is a flex plate used to start the motor. The transmission is a manual with an small internal clutch. It reduces rotating mass and gets the car out of the corners quicker. They are prety cool trannys, but not that cheap.
Old 11-12-2010, 11:54 PM
Where's the Beef?

Originally Posted by BBC+T56
The transmission he has doesn't require a torque converter. It is made specificaly for circle track racing. The only thing there is in the bellhousing is a flex plate used to start the motor. The transmission is a manual with an small internal clutch. It reduces rotating mass and gets the car out of the corners quicker. They are prety cool trannys, but not that cheap.

a tq converter also has no effect on a cars idle in park/neutral so since you don't know, he was joking. But yes, those are some cool transmissions. Would be nice to have something that small in a truck and still hold up to the power.

He drained all the mountain dew out of it today and now it's running.

Last edited by viciousknid; 11-13-2010 at 12:00 AM.
Old 11-13-2010, 10:53 AM
11 Second Club

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

Yeah I helped install and pull that piece of **** trans about 19 times. I know it doesn't have a converter. Its Just an ongoing joke around here
Old 11-14-2010, 02:21 PM
Where's the Beef?

His luck with that car at the track is an ongoing joke. he needs to trade it for one that isn't cursed
Old 11-14-2010, 09:31 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Do you have all the lines capped off? Brake booster, PCV, etc. I would cap everything off and see if that changes it. Are the butterflys closing all the way? Maybe a bent Linkage. If it is reviving that high you have to be getting air in somewhere.

Quick Reply: Motor won't idle down