Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Moving to Cali, have ???s

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2005, 12:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Moving to Cali, have ???s

I'll be moving to Cali in November and I was wondering what I could and couldn't do to improve performance, both legally and what I can get around (like a cam).

Exhaust: I know I have to use CARB approved headers and cats but are there any other restrictions I should know about? Can I dump after the mufflers?

Cam: I did a search and found that for a 4.8, they said not to go over 224. Is it the same for a 5.3? I still want some bottom end grunt. I'm thinking about the GM Performance Hot Cam kit. Any thoughts?

Heads: I don't know jack about the laws on them. Would I be better off just getting the stock ones ported,polished and milled?

Thanks,
J.R.

Last edited by JRsilverado; 07-12-2005 at 12:35 PM.
Old 07-12-2005, 03:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I forgot to mention, I do have a Fuddle 2800 stall on the way.
Old 07-12-2005, 06:20 PM
Launching!

What part of Cali you moving too? You know I would like to know some of these "guidelines" also. I have not had a highly modded vehicle yet so Im in the same boat you are in. You should post this in the western section, might find better info there.
Old 07-12-2005, 07:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'll be in San Diego.
Old 07-12-2005, 07:09 PM
14 Second Truck Club

R U in the Military?
Old 07-12-2005, 07:17 PM
Staging Lane

Exhaust: The only thing you need to worry about is a carb E.O # for headers and dumps are legal. AS&M and TOG's work well.

Cam: I've been researching this for months and know the comp cams 216/220 .525/.532 114 will pass smog in a 4.8, so a 5.3 should pass with flying colors. Others may too, but I know this one will.

Heads: Milling,porting and polishing the heads won't effect emissions.
Old 07-12-2005, 07:24 PM
14 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by 1slow4.8
Exhaust: The only thing you need to worry about is a carb E.O # for headers and dumps are legal. AS&M and TOG's work well.

Cam: I've been researching this for months and know the comp cams 216/220 .525/.532 114 will pass smog in a 4.8, so a 5.3 should pass with flying colors. Others may too, but I know this one will.

Heads: Milling,porting and polishing the heads won't effect emissions.

I used to get modified exhaust tickets all the time in the WS6 in San Diego. I had Texas plates as well. They are also strict about tint.
Old 07-12-2005, 07:27 PM
TECH Regular

AS&M's are not smog legal. Not that it really matters. Most people around here who get headers get long tubes without cats and just swap them out every 2 yeas for inspection. Its worth it, thats next on my list. As far as headwork or interna engine mods, they have no way of know so you are all good.
Old 07-13-2005, 07:43 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 1FUNZ71
I used to get modified exhaust tickets all the time in the WS6 in San Diego. I had Texas plates as well. They are also strict about tint.

What did you have done to the exhaust? I have Florida plates. Can they give you tickets for tint with out of state plates?

I'm in the Navy.
Old 07-13-2005, 09:05 AM
14 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by JRsilverado
What did you have done to the exhaust? I have Florida plates. Can they give you tickets for tint with out of state plates?

I'm in the Navy.

I had the Adj Borla Cat back with the removable plates, LT's and no Cats. The Cop told me that it was illegal to have an exhaust louder than stock. When you get out here and try to get base stickers you will have to get a smog check(even if you have out of state plates). My suggestion is find a MA to hook you up. Or keep getting temp passes. With the tint I was never pulled over for it. I just got tickets when I was pulled over for having a loud car. Both exhaust and tint are fix a tickets. So if you keep out of state plates, get hooked up with a base sticker without having to smog it you will be good to go. Just dont draw to much attention to yourself. I hope this helps. I have 20% on the sides and 5% on the rear.

Quick Reply: Moving to Cali, have ???s