Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

MPG drop after cold air intake install

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2006, 08:58 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MPG drop after cold air intake install

I changed to an AirRaid cold air intake not long ago and noticed a drop in mpg. I then put the factory stuff back on and it went back up. I changed it again and rechecked to make sure there were no leaks in the system and the mpg dropped again. So I went back to the shop I bought it from and changed it out to a K&N kit. Same thing as before. I lose about 3 to 4 MPG with the cold air kit. Has anyone else had this problem. I'm beginning to think that the mass air flow sensor is messed up but not throwing a code. I must mention that I ran atleast 1 tank of gas through between swaps so the computer could "learn" the new set up. Still ain't right. Does anybody have any ideas? I'm starting to think I should just put it back to stock and buy just a K&N element and see how that does. And just incase you were wondering...I was getting 20 to 21 MPG before I started the changes and now I am getting 17 to 18 MPG at the same highway cruising speeds. Oh yeah, I do have a programmer that I have installed now. But that hasn't helped either. So if you have any ideas, please help!!

JODY
Old 01-02-2006, 09:14 AM
Staging Lane

Disconnect the negative battery cable for a hour and then see if it ll help. I know some of you will think I m crazy but on my z28 and GTP everytime you do a power mod, you needed to disconnect the battery.

Brad
Old 01-02-2006, 09:16 AM
TECH Addict

you have in in backwards
no really I put an OutLaw cold air intake and gained 1.6 mpg
Mark
Old 01-02-2006, 09:23 AM
Teching In

I did try the disconnect.. no help.... and I wish it was as simple as me putting it in backwards.... I beginning to think I'll be getting a new MAF to see if that will help.
Old 01-02-2006, 09:28 AM
11 Second Club

throw away the programmer and keep your foot out of the gas..LOL
Old 01-02-2006, 09:55 AM
Teching In

Nope, that ain't it... as I said... cruising MPG has dropped. But thanks for playing.

JODY
Old 01-04-2006, 06:32 AM
Teching In

Well, I read a few other posts talking about the oil from the K&N filter getting on the MAF. So I cleaned mine by spraying it with contact cleaner. It didn't work. I'm still getting 17 to 18 mpg cruising at 70mph. I have switched back to the factory stuff before just to see what would happen and the mpg goes back to almost normal. Could the oil on the filter still be causing the problem?
Old 01-04-2006, 06:51 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jody,

My experience with the cold air intakes hasn't been a good one. I've never had one on my silverado, however I had a 2003 GMC Sonoma 4 cyl truck that lost 2 MPG when I put a K&N FIPK cold air intake kit on. I noticed no difference in actual performance other than the engine made more noise under accelleration. I can't speak for experience on my silvy but on the Sonoma this was definatly a waste of money. I put my stock airbox back on and noticed a tad better low end throttle response and it was a lot less quieter. ::Zipping flame suit up:: I think cold air intakes are a waste of money unless you have forced induction of some sort or you're running a large cubic inch motor that may require 800 CFM or more to pump through it. The factory unit is built better than most aftermarket ones, in a sense it is a cold air intake because it draws its air from the front wheel well and is made of thick plastic which doesn't soak up heat. I say keep the stock unit and sell the aftermarket one you have.
Old 01-04-2006, 07:56 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by hirdlej
Jody,

My experience with the cold air intakes hasn't been a good one. I've never had one on my silverado, however I had a 2003 GMC Sonoma 4 cyl truck that lost 2 MPG when I put a K&N FIPK cold air intake kit on. I noticed no difference in actual performance other than the engine made more noise under accelleration. I can't speak for experience on my silvy but on the Sonoma this was definatly a waste of money. I put my stock airbox back on and noticed a tad better low end throttle response and it was a lot less quieter. ::Zipping flame suit up:: I think cold air intakes are a waste of money unless you have forced induction of some sort or you're running a large cubic inch motor that may require 800 CFM or more to pump through it. The factory unit is built better than most aftermarket ones, in a sense it is a cold air intake because it draws its air from the front wheel well and is made of thick plastic which doesn't soak up heat. I say keep the stock unit and sell the aftermarket one you have.
I do agree in part. IMHO K&N is the poorest design "cold air" kit. It sits open at the top of the engine bay where all the heat goes. My IAT's went up nearly 50* around town from stock box. I do have uncoated headers which made the under hood hotter, but 50* is nuts. The only reason I kept it on is because of the amount of air it flowed with ease when I hammered it. I havent noticed much difference on the Yukon with the K&N FIPK, but it does seem to have a little better throttle responce. I'm still looking into MPG gains/losses. My first tank was stock filter and I got 400 miles. Last tank was with K&N and I ran 450+ miles. Both were not the same town/highway though. I may just buy a UDP intake and call it good. Its like stock design, pulls from the fender, but flows much better and uses a K&N flat filter.
Old 01-04-2006, 09:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

i bought a volant and havent noticed any mpg gains..i am in the gas a little to much though so i wouldnt notice anyway lol

Quick Reply: MPG drop after cold air intake install