Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

MPG drop after cold air intake install

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2006, 09:22 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all your replys! I'm now thinking of putting the stock intake system back on and just put a K&N element in it and call it done! The place I bought all my stuff from has told me they will let me return it. About the only thing I really felt any gains from were the MSD wires. Wait4Me will be getting some business from me from what all the things I have read. The price he is asking beats all others bya land slide! Thanks again!

JODY
Old 01-04-2006, 09:48 AM
Cuz I AM a BADMOFO

I run the AEM cold air intake and didn't notice any mpg difference either way....and I've checked my mileage on every tank since I bought the truck in 2002! I chose the AEM because of the article in Truckin' magazine where they picked up 13rwhp on an independent dyno. I noticed a gain of about .3 tenths in the quarter mile from this intake and my Magnaflow catback combined. I never ran it with just the intake to compare.
Old 01-04-2006, 10:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by JodyB67
Thanks for all your replys! I'm now thinking of putting the stock intake system back on and just put a K&N element in it and call it done! The place I bought all my stuff from has told me they will let me return it. About the only thing I really felt any gains from were the MSD wires. Wait4Me will be getting some business from me from what all the things I have read. The price he is asking beats all others bya land slide! Thanks again!

JODY
thats very hard to believe you lost mpg with a intake. oh and msd wires should not give any sotp gains, were the stock ones bad??

i have a cam, stall and all the other bolt ons and have not lost anything when going on long trips, its right where it was at mpg wise in stock form.
Old 01-04-2006, 10:17 AM
TECH Veteran

I had a K+N drop in air filter for about 2 years before doing the turbo install and never got any better or worse mileage with it.
IMO all the claims are BS. I even left the battery unhooked overnight with no better results.
Some people swear better mileage, I just did not see it.
The only good things about them is they flow better when a little dirtier than a stock paper, and are cleanable.
Old 01-04-2006, 01:34 PM
TECH Veteran

I just bought a S&B Intake off a member in here brand new in the box. Its the same design it looks as the volant but the lid on the box that the filter sits in is transparent so you can see the filter through it. Looks like a pretty good intake but i have yet to try it. Its still in the mail. lol. Anyone got any ifo on this S&B intake? I wanted the Volant but figured id give this one a shot since the price was right and they both had similar designs and i got a great deal on this one.

I had the K&N FIPK on my 01 5.3 and didnt notice and gains in performance or gas mileage. It just looks pretty and sounds better but thats it. Its also a shitty design because they have the filter open to all the engine bay heat unlike the S&B or the Volant that keep the filter sealed with just one large opening that sucks the cold air out of your fenderwell. Id put your stock one back on if your mileage did go down or id try another aftermarket intake.
Old 01-04-2006, 02:03 PM
TECH Regular

4mpg???? Thats a big loss. Its not realistic to attribute that to your air intake. How are you measuring your cruising mpg? MSD wires won't give you any noticable gain, more likely to just give you problems over stock wires.
Old 01-04-2006, 03:13 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by shadowamker
Disconnect the negative battery cable for a hour and then see if it ll help. I know some of you will think I m crazy but on my z28 and GTP everytime you do a power mod, you needed to disconnect the battery.

Brad
hey man....it don't take an hour.....I work for a Pontiac Dealership and know that this is an old wives tale. Disconnect the 2 cables, touch them together and then hook em' back up......the ECM will reset in 10 sec.
Old 01-04-2006, 04:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

My mpg didn't change...performance seems better...(no numbers).
Old 01-05-2006, 12:50 PM
Teching In

Too all that don't believe me when I say I lost mpg when I switched. I wish I could tell you all I was just playing a game but I am not. I could drive to Houston and back on less than half a tank of gas before doing anything. Now I am using almost 3/4 of a tank. Yes, using cruise control each time set at 70 mpg. And from my house to where I go to in Houston is just over 95 miles each way. I guess I am the only one that this has happened to. Call me crazy if yall want! hahaha
Now about the wires not helping any... After the swap I can light the tires up pretty good if I stab the throttle hard from a deadstop. I couldn't do that before changing the wires. Heck, I could barely powerbrake the truck before! hahaha So I have to disagree that the wires won't make a difference. More voltage to the spark plugs mean more power! I'm gonna get the mileage back to where it was and then try a few other things to improve the all around performance and mileage of this ole truck of mine. I'm not looking to break any records with it, just want to enjoy it a little more.
Old 01-05-2006, 01:02 PM
Teching In

Oh yeah, I am gonna try the battery cable thing again. I tried a few times before with no changes but I might as well try that one again.

Quick Reply: MPG drop after cold air intake install