Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

MPG drop after cold air intake install

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2006, 06:14 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i am not sure of the set up in your truck but i have heard that if the cone filter is not blocked off from the engine compartment that the fan can screw with the air flow to the maf . plus that air is comeing from the radiator. not really a COLD air kit ha ha.
Old 01-05-2006, 06:39 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by JodyB67
Too all that don't believe me when I say I lost mpg when I switched....
There are probably more than you think who DO believe you. I've heard about this happening before, for no apparent reason (other than the filter oil on the MAF thing).
Sorry it happened to you!
Old 01-05-2006, 09:02 PM
v8
17,16,15,14,13,12,11 Drvr

the spark plug wire is ahhaahaaaahaa you must have had alot of miles on your old set or a bad one or two, cold air intakes make you loose mpg hrmm, i hooked up my auto tap on the suburban with stock air box and inlet air temps were 100 degrees going from home to orange and the temps outside were 90 degrees, left orange with K/N intake system on it and inlet air temps were 90 degrees temps outside 90 degrees so loosing mpg don't see how well i can if your foot is in it enough, I can see loosing hp and mpg if the filter is oiled to much, I lost 3/10's of a second from to much oil on filter just another thought.
Old 01-05-2006, 11:51 PM
Teching In

The wires were not bad. I changed them after reading an article in one of the performance mags. I guess you area nother one that don't believe what happened in this application. Oh well....And as far as how many miles I have on my truck... 36,600 as of this week.
Old 01-06-2006, 08:35 AM
TECH Senior Member

Im still about the wires??? Im with everybody else, I cant see that much of an improvement unless your other ones were bad???
Old 01-06-2006, 12:39 PM
Teching In

Okay, let's get back to what I originally was asking about. I bolted on 2 different cold air kits. Both times I lost mpg. Each time I put the stock intake box back on, the mpg went back to normal. Does anyone have an idea as to why? What me and a few good friends are thinking is that the computer can't recognize the added air or it is freaking it out. I do have a Hypertech programmer installed. It is set to the 87 octane performance setting. I did have the higher octane setting on it but since my mileage stayed low, I went back to the lower setting. Oh yeah, I run unleaded plus. Things that I plan on doing in the very near future...getting a Wait4Me tune and trying that out with all the after market bolt ons. If that don't work, then I will put the stock box back on and have it retuned if need be. It's getting very frustrating not having the money to just drop it off at a tuners place and letting them put a dyno tune on it!
Old 01-06-2006, 12:42 PM
Teching In

Oh yeah, one more thing. What's this I have read a few times about having to get the crank sensor recalibrated or something to that effect after getting a outside tune?
Old 01-06-2006, 12:52 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JodyB67
Oh yeah, one more thing. What's this I have read a few times about having to get the crank sensor recalibrated or something to that effect after getting a outside tune?
you should get a code after the new pcm.. its the crank relearn code... any place with the correct scanner tools (ie, dealership) can do the crank relearn for like $50 or so.

about your intake thing... i went with an AEM Brute Force with the Dry element filter, this filter you actually use this soap they give you and some water and clean it up real good.. and you dont have to oil it. I didnt see any better gas mileage but the throttle response was awesome and it felt a little more peppy.

Sorry the intake thing didnt work out for you tho, that sucks. What some guys are doing is drilling a few large holes in the bottom of the stock air box to pull a little more air since the stock opening is so small... ppl seem to like it. Also with that wait4me tune.. you will see 3-4mpg better, i did when i used to have a wait4me tune, i switched bc i had some problems at the time and just wanted to try nelson out.. but jesse will be personally tuning for me sometime soon when i actually get to meet him.. so you'll really like that wait4me im sure. good luck.
Old 01-06-2006, 07:46 PM
Teching In

SSlow, thanks for the info! And the good words about Jesse. I'm getting more and more confidence in his product the more I here about him.

One more thing about the crank relearn..... Will I need to tow my truck to the dealer or will it "limp" there?
Old 01-06-2006, 08:00 PM
v8
17,16,15,14,13,12,11 Drvr

well if you read the rest of my post about the filter being over oiled that would cause the mpg to drop.

About the wires, well ya know the weather just changed in texas again its alot drier and cooler so that will help the truck perform alot better as well, but each his own, see ya around groves.

Quick Reply: MPG drop after cold air intake install