Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Muffler Ideas

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2008, 04:23 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just outta curiousity, you still have the Active fuel Management engaged??? If so, that exhaust might sound like ****. My buddy has an 08 Dodge Ram, I can't remember what exhaust, but everytime the DOD kicks in, its sounds just like a fart can rice burner. Just a heads up anyways. I know a lot of the catback systems, kinda tune around that.....
Old 08-01-2008, 02:55 PM
Teching In

I just went through this with my 08 Silverado CC 5.3 AFM. I took it to a shop, had them install a magnaflow and split it into duals out the back. I have done this on numerous otherr trucks.

It sounded OK, but the drone at 55-65 mph was unbearable. I had them add a bullet muffler in front of the magnaflow, it helped, but still droned. I had them try a dynamas super turbo instead of the magnaflow...NO better. Then as a last resort, I had them add a flowaster in series with the dynamax...NO better.

At this point I am getting rather upset with myself for ever messing with it, so I had them put back on the stock muffler, and had them split right after the muffler for the duals out the back...

Finally I got the looks I wanted with the duals, It actually sounds aggresive, and best of all...NO DRONE, and I think it even runs better!!!.

I couldn't be happier if I was twins...

My advise, just get the duals added behind the stock muffler...
Old 08-07-2008, 02:31 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by kevinmach1
I just went through this with my 08 Silverado CC 5.3 AFM. I took it to a shop, had them install a magnaflow and split it into duals out the back. I have done this on numerous otherr trucks.

It sounded OK, but the drone at 55-65 mph was unbearable. I had them add a bullet muffler in front of the magnaflow, it helped, but still droned. I had them try a dynamas super turbo instead of the magnaflow...NO better. Then as a last resort, I had them add a flowaster in series with the dynamax...NO better.

At this point I am getting rather upset with myself for ever messing with it, so I had them put back on the stock muffler, and had them split right after the muffler for the duals out the back...

Finally I got the looks I wanted with the duals, It actually sounds aggresive, and best of all...NO DRONE, and I think it even runs better!!!.

I couldn't be happier if I was twins...

My advise, just get the duals added behind the stock muffler...
I agree. I have a FM super 44 on my truck (08 sierra with AFM) and the drone is pretty bad when teh AFM is on around 55-60. I could put a resonater on but the muffler shop said the drone will still be there but about 10% less noise. I'll just deal with it. One thing though, it does help put the baby to sleep on trips!!!!
Old 08-08-2008, 08:00 AM
Launching!

have 08 6.0 I have corsa sport. Sounds good but a little quiet for me, but their is 0% drone. If you dare to be different try a custom built bassani muffler, I ran them on my supercharged 07, 04 vho, 04 5.3 trucks and loved them. Different kind of sound with a nice deep mellow tone and a race truck sound when you get into it. I've had everything from 1 and 2 chamber flowmster, bassani, corsa, 14-18 inch magnaflow, magnaflow resonator tubes, some with no cats, some with long tubes and no cats, and still my favorite sound was dual bassani with custom hand built 4x8x12 with x pipe and long tubes and no cats with it running straight out of the muffler with no pipe. it was the SH*T but loud. Had that setup on my 04 vho and 07 supercharged z71 reg. cab