Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Muffler options for 2005 5.3L?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2005, 12:31 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lol, I guess the Aero - Chambers really need to be heard in person because I've found quite a few videos/sounds of them on the forums and it didn't spark my fancy.

I'm leaning more and more towards the 5 x 8 x 14, or even the 4 x 9 x 14 Magnaflows. I hear on other forums that people consider the 5 x 8 x 18 to be pretty loud so you guys may be more used to the loud exhausts

Would there be any real performance disadvantages with using my stock tailpipe instead of getting a new 3in pipe with the muffler, or would the effects be neglible for my still stock motor? What about going with one tailpipe pipe over two? Or is the amount of pipes leaving the muffler mostly superficial and for personal preference?
Old 06-21-2005, 04:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Corsa?

Love Mine.
Go to a dealership. Lots of them are putting Corsa's on trucks. Joe Gibbs trucks are on several showroom floors also.
Nice at cruise but loud hammered.
Old 06-21-2005, 06:50 AM
12 Second Truck Club

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I like my 4x9 Magnaflow. I was trying to stay away from loud exhaust on this truck. I think it does great. There is no problem using your factory pipe. I was going to do that, just couldn't resist doing something different.
I agree with The Rock, I would love to have a Corsa. But I have $160 total in my exhaust. Stainless muffler, and full 3" pipe from the collector back. I just couldnt spend $700 on a Corsa.
Old 06-21-2005, 08:11 AM
Teching In

I have been thinking about this too. How long is the body of the stock muffler? I want something that I can slip right in over the factory pipes. I know people said 3" will slip over the stock pipes.
Old 06-21-2005, 08:23 AM
10 Second Club

I'm running a small muffler. It's a flopro twister. Essentially a race muffler. 5 inch outer case, 14 inches long, w/ 3inch i.d. It's loud w/ higher rpms (on the highway), but sounds really good. You can't really even notice it on the street once you maintain speed though. One of these days I'll get a sound clip ~ since I don't think anyone is running this setup yet.
Old 06-21-2005, 08:41 AM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Look up flyer in the member list he has a link to a sound clip of his aerochambers. I like magnaflow just my .02
Old 06-21-2005, 09:18 AM
14 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by h20junkie
Lol, I guess the Aero - Chambers really need to be heard in person because I've found quite a few videos/sounds of them on the forums and it didn't spark my fancy.

I'm leaning more and more towards the 5 x 8 x 14, or even the 4 x 9 x 14 Magnaflows. I hear on other forums that people consider the 5 x 8 x 18 to be pretty loud so you guys may be more used to the loud exhausts

Would there be any real performance disadvantages with using my stock tailpipe instead of getting a new 3in pipe with the muffler, or would the effects be neglible for my still stock motor? What about going with one tailpipe pipe over two? Or is the amount of pipes leaving the muffler mostly superficial and for personal preference?

The only thing I dont like about the hooker is that it doesnt have that sound like the Corsa had( the raspy f-body sound). It has a really deep melow note to it. I had a magna flow on my 96' dodge and it had a real loud drone to it. With the hooker, I can hear it in the cab (its not that loud inside) but there isnt any drone. I think for 59.00 bucks you just cannot go wrong here. The way I see it buy one, try it out, if you dont like it sell for 40 bucks and try something else.

If I could find another deal like I did before on a Corsa sport system I would be all over it.

I will try to post a clip and pics of my setup tonight.

Erick
Old 06-22-2005, 03:19 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 5.3WT
I have been thinking about this too. How long is the body of the stock muffler? I want something that I can slip right in over the factory pipes. I know people said 3" will slip over the stock pipes.
The stock muffler is about 25 inches long and that's excluding the inlets and outlets.

White1, how does your truck sound compared to the magnaflow clips on ls1sounds.com? Does it have any of the crackle when you get off the gas significantly? Overall, I really liked the tone of the magnaflows alot better than the hookers so I'm heavily leaning in that direction.

For simplicity sakes, should I go with a centre/offset muffler or centre/centre? And has anyone else done this with a extremely new vehicle (1700 km) and had any warranty problems? Is there any chance my dealership could tell me to get bent if there are any non-exhaust related problems with the truck?
Old 06-22-2005, 06:48 PM
14 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by h20junkie
The stock muffler is about 25 inches long and that's excluding the inlets and outlets.

White1, how does your truck sound compared to the magnaflow clips on ls1sounds.com? Does it have any of the crackle when you get off the gas significantly? Overall, I really liked the tone of the magnaflows alot better than the hookers so I'm heavily leaning in that direction.

For simplicity sakes, should I go with a centre/offset muffler or centre/centre? And has anyone else done this with a extremely new vehicle (1700 km) and had any warranty problems? Is there any chance my dealership could tell me to get bent if there are any non-exhaust related problems with the truck?
I havent ever heard of warranty issues due to exhaust. I would say no. The only thing they would not warranty is the hangers and pipe, that would be my guess.
Old 06-22-2005, 11:26 PM
Staging Lane

What about inlet/outlet layout? Would it be easier to go with centre/offset or centre/centre?

Quick Reply: Muffler options for 2005 5.3L?