Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Which muffler out of these do ya'll like the most?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2005, 09:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Which muffler out of these do ya'll like the most?

Just wondering if anyone has used these mufflers on a dual 3" or 2.5" system.....Edelbrock 304, Hooker Aerchamber or Maxflow, or Magnaflow. I am looking for a nice deep tone and sounds like all engine at WOT without the raspy and popping in the exhaust...I hate that. I don't want a lot of drone too esp on the highway. I can handle a little bit for it is a truck but I like a throaty deep sound. So, just wondering what ya'll like the most. Thanks.
Old 09-29-2005, 10:03 PM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't think that you could go wrong with Magnaflow, has a nice deep tone without much drone. I have always liked the sound of Magnaflow on about any vehicle, my buddy has a magnaflow muffler on his 01 Camaro SS and it sounds pretty mean, not raspy at all either.
Old 09-29-2005, 10:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

CORSA! I like mine, It sounds great
Old 09-29-2005, 10:38 PM
TECH Resident

I wish I got Magnaflows instead of Flowmasters.
Old 09-29-2005, 10:41 PM
TECH Resident

A cheap and nasty 'ole Hooker
Old 09-29-2005, 10:54 PM
TECH Veteran

I've had Gibson, Flowmaster, and now Magnaflow. I think you can get whatever you want sound-wise from a Magnaflow setup, and always get the benefit of a straight-through design. For example, I now have two Magnaflow mufflers in series on my Avalanche and it is quieter than stock (which is what I want). I have two of the biggest mufflers they offer crammed under my truck, with zero sound, but optimal performance - no impediments to flow. It is what I wanted from the beginning, but didn't understand enough to design it myself.

If you want something louder, it gets a little trickier. I've heard that Magnaflow's louder systems with smaller mufflers can resonate in the cabin, which may people do not like. If I wanted a loud(er) system with straight-through performance, I would be tempted to use two smaller Magnaflow mufflers in series....one as a resonator in front, and one to give you the sound you want, in the back, closest to the tailpipe.

At this point I would probably never order another catback simply because I know the only way to get exactly what I want is to design it myself. After a very poor experience with Gibson (product and company) then another with Flowmaster (product only), I set out to learn exhaust principles and concepts and spent a lot of time doing it. Then I was able to design my system with confidence. It became apparent that Magnaflow had all the components I needed to construct my ideal system.

The end result of all of that effort is something I smile about every time I get in my truck...it is exactly what I wanted, but I had to work to get it.
Old 09-29-2005, 11:10 PM
blownerator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

To answer your questionquick, plain, and simple....Magnaflow
Old 09-29-2005, 11:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yea, I have an Edelbrock RPM on my truck but they stop making those and this is for a Pre-LS1 truck by the way so Corsa ain't an option eventhough my brother and father have them on their LS1 trucks. Magnaflow sounds nice and deep. So, I am going to give you a example of what I am thinking about. long tube headers going into 2.5" or 3" pipe into either high flow cats or no cats at all into 14" case Magnaflows center/center inlet/outlet and turndown tips at the bumper.....would this give me the sound that I am after which is throaty/deep/and to let my cam talk at idle!! What do ya'll think about this? How much would it change the sound going from 2.5" to 3"? Thanks.
Old 09-30-2005, 12:59 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the cats hold alot of power and noise back, get rid of em and even with stock manifolds you'll have the sound you want. Ive got lt's ofr y pipe and a 40 blowmaster I swear this setup has cost me hearing at first I had it dumped but it was just too much so I moved the dump after the rear axle and that helped The most aggressive sounding is gonna be the flowmaster but it will resonate you brain to mush and even though everyone says man I wish mine sounded like that they dont drive it everyday after a while it gets old.

So from my experience dont go with the blowmaster
Old 09-30-2005, 01:38 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From what I've heard, I'll vote for Magnaflows with no cats. Should give you a good, deep rumble. I haven't heard the Hookers but I've heard they sound good too.

Quick Reply: Which muffler out of these do ya'll like the most?