Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Which muffler out of these do ya'll like the most?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2005, 10:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by white1
I love my magnaflow. I have the 3" si/so 4x9x11 case. The smallest 3" they make. Its nice and throaty at idle, and screams at WOT. On the highway, it tones down and is very plesant, not too loud, in fact you can barley hear it with the windows up. BTW thats a nice truck you have. Also, I think your exhaust plan sounds great. Thats what I plan to do once Pasesetter starts making LT's for 4wd's. LT's ORy 3" pipe, si/so 3" Magnaflow, and turn down in the stock location instead of out the side.
Thanks for the compliment man...its taken a lot of work that's for sure with the help of friends and mainly my dad for building my engine. That's good to know about your magnaflow setup....do you still have your cats on? I ain't completely decided to get rid of them yet or not. But I do want a straight through muffler like Magnaflow or someone like that. Read an article says you need to flow 2.2cfm/hp to have a free flowing exhaust.
Old 09-30-2005, 11:01 AM
12 Second Truck Club

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Cats?? What are cats? No, the dog chased them off. When the cats moved out, I got a little rasp at about 2200 RPM, but it went away with this motor
Old 09-30-2005, 11:38 AM
Moderator / Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Torque_Wrench
Well persoanlly I don't use a muffler, I made my own custom exhaust.
But I've owned, every type of muffler on the market! Keep in mind, this is my own personal opinion, and I don't want to offend anyone......but......a Magnaflow is a Overpriced piece of Sh*t.......and so is a Borla....you just pay for the name. Although the Borla has a much better sound than the Fagnaflow! Flowmasters are Pricey$$$...and not a great sound unless you get a Super 40 Series. I just plain out don't like the Edelbrock muffler...it is not loud enough. Gibson mufflers are just too high in price...and who wants a pretty polished muffler....for God's sake..it's under your truck.

In my opinion...a good value on a muffler, that sounds good, loud and has a great performance boost is a Ravin' muffler. Cost about $60 to $80. Dynomax Bullet mufflers are great also. But the hands down winner with the best sound and price and performance...is......Hooker Aero Chamber!

Thanx...and goodbye
Fire up the haterade and lay down a whole lot of opinions with no facts to back 'em up ... GOOD JOB BUDDY :
Old 09-30-2005, 03:56 PM
TECH Addict

Default Mod This!

Originally Posted by oxidizr
Fire up the haterade and lay down a whole lot of opinions with no facts to back 'em up ... GOOD JOB BUDDY :
Moderator, I told you it was my own opinion and I didn't mean to offend Magnaflow lovers , so why do you chill? Where I live, Magnaflows are too pricey....as in $120 for a single in/single out. So is Corsa.....not to mention I've had a magnaflow....and I didn't like the sound.....because that's my opinion...I like loud, real loud.

EDIT by Grippy: no need for that last part, please be respectful when you post on this forum, thanks.

Last edited by moregrip; 09-30-2005 at 04:15 PM.
Old 09-30-2005, 04:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Moderator, I told you it was my own opinion and I didn't mean to offend Magnaflow lovers , so why do you chill? Where I live, Magnaflows are too pricey....as in $120 for a single in/single out. So is Corsa.....not to mention I've had a magnaflow....and I didn't like the sound.....because that's my opinion...I like loud, real loud.

EDIT by Grippy: no need for that last part, please be respectful when you post on this forum, thanks.

Yeah but you cant call a muffler a piece of **** becuase you dont like the way it sounds. Call it piece of **** if it is put together shitty or if it doesnt flow worth a crap.
Old 09-30-2005, 05:26 PM
TECH Junkie

I dont know about you guys but I would trade good sounding exhaust for good HP results.
Old 09-30-2005, 05:53 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenVelvet
I dont know about you guys but I would trade good sounding exhaust for good HP results.
Well, the point I was trying to make above is it's not necessary to trade one for the other. You can have both.

With Magnaflow you can have:

- Silent with performance (like mine)
- Quiet with performance
- Growly with performance
- Healthy with performance
- Loud with performance
- Really loud with performance
- Stupid loud with performance
- Obnoxiously loud (setting-off-car-alarm-loud) with performance

No need to give up sound for performance.
Old 09-30-2005, 06:21 PM
Moderator / Sponsor

No problem with you opinion of sound, "to each his own." I do have a problem with your labeling a product as a .. how did you put it, "...piece of sh*t..." I don't mind reading about personal preference ... ignorant generalizations are just that ignorant.

As far as pricing goes ... look @ any outlet ... FULLY POLISHED PARTS start at 75.95 and satin finished at 59.95. I spent a whoping thrity seconds to find over 85 parts to match MagnaFlow mufflers between $50-100 on summitracing.com. These are stainless steel mufflers ... comparative muffler from such manufacturers are almost 20-25% higher in price. No one can help it if your muffler shop wants to charge you an assh*le tax and sell it to you for mor than market value.
Old 09-30-2005, 06:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Back to the subject on hand ..... I like the Hookers a LOT. I got a pair of them on a dual 2 1/2 setup with no cats and I love the sound of it. I wouldn't trade it for any other I've heard.
Old 09-30-2005, 07:00 PM
TECH Junkie

Sound is subjective to say.. But I have Hooker Areochambers on my car. And if I ever put a muffler on my truck it would be an Areochamber.

Quick Reply: Which muffler out of these do ya'll like the most?