Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Which muffler out of these do ya'll like the most?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2005, 11:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have installed two Corsa system and its the sport series by the way and it is a straight through pipe all the way through the muffler so I don't know where you get the chamber from. But once again...they don't make a corsa for the 1990 truck. Yes...I know its MY decision but the reason I start this thread is to know what everyone like and what the sound was on each muffler. From this, I have gathered that Magnaflow and Hooker are really used.....but I have a question for the Hooker users....why not use the Maxflow...it flows more and put out more power and if you are....how do they compare to the aerochamber. Keep the comments coming guys...this is good info for choosing the right muffler the first time.
Old 10-01-2005, 01:06 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by YenkoST
I have installed two Corsa system and its the sport series by the way and it is a straight through pipe all the way through the muffler so I don't know where you get the chamber from. But once again...they don't make a corsa for the 1990 truck. Yes...I know its MY decision but the reason I start this thread is to know what everyone like and what the sound was on each muffler. From this, I have gathered that Magnaflow and Hooker are really used.....but I have a question for the Hooker users....why not use the Maxflow...it flows more and put out more power and if you are....how do they compare to the aerochamber. Keep the comments coming guys...this is good info for choosing the right muffler the first time.
You havent seen a cut away of a Corsa muffler then have ya!! Not trying to **** you off man. Just posting info I have gained on Tech, thats it. To try and aid you. Guess I didnt help much.

Chambers/baffles/deflectors. Whatever you want to call them. They are breaking loose in the mufflers and rattling.

Again, as stated in my first post... Hooker AeroChamber.

Last edited by 99Silver5.3; 10-01-2005 at 01:13 AM.
Old 10-01-2005, 01:43 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

by looking at that picture, its not at all surprising that they`re coming apart.
Old 10-01-2005, 01:57 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by slow.8
by looking at that picture, its not at all surprising that they`re coming apart.
The mufflers they brought in had 5 times more baffles than in that picture.
Old 10-01-2005, 08:22 AM
Admin

Received 217 Likes on 173 Posts

A buddy of mine used to have a corsa for his Yukon, You couldnt even roll a golf ball through the damn thing. Now how is that suppose to flow enough air for a 6.0? I am not sure how all these guys are running superchargers with the corsa systems, maybe on a 4.8 but anything bigger and to me It seems like it would be suffocating the engine. ??
Old 10-01-2005, 12:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

I had a custom Dynomax setup on my '91 4x4 Silverado, and I must say it was much better than I was expecting, especially for the price I paid. I was trading the truck straight across for my '94 Z28, but the guy wanted me to replace the exhaust before we did the exchange (it was stock and rusted out). So I took it to a local muffler shop and had them bang something up cheap. They replaced the entire exhaust from the cat back and routed the pipes the same as stock, dual exit on the passenger side, all for a little over $200. I was hard pressed to find an aftermarket catback for that price, not to mention installation would have been a fair amount as well (I only had one day to change the exhaust, otherwise I would have done the install myself had I ordered something). The Dynomax had a nice tone to it, deep with almost no rasp unless someone revved the **** out of it in neutral, thousands of times better than Flowmaster (I love that oxymoron, "Flow-master"). It was plenty loud when I would get on it, loud enough for my father to hear me floor it on a crowded highway at 75mph while he was 10 carlengths in front of me in a turbo-diesel Mercedes. But despite the volume when you got on it, it was relatively quiet (you could still tell it wasn't stock) and had almost no drone (less than stock actually, though the stock muffler was rusted out).

So I guess the moral of my story is this: If you want something cheap with a good, loud sound, especially on a non-LSx SBC, but still flows better than a "choke"master, check out Dynomax (I think I had their turbo muffler). Now if you want something in stainless that sounds good, though maybe not as loud as some other mufflers, while still being fairly cheap, check out Magnaflow as others have said, and make sure to find out about making a custom setup, it very well may be worth you time to get something designed for your specific vehicle and made the way you want it.

Tom

- And for those that don't think Flowmasters suck, my '94 Trans Am had a Flowmaster 40's series on it when I bought it, and it had such an idiotic amount of drone between 1000-5800rpm, so much so that a couple of times I thought my ears had started bleeding as everything sounded muffled for a good half hour or so after I got out of my car. I was dumb and waited about 6 months before replacing it, but when I did I was greeted with an improvement of 3mpg in city simply by switching to a stock '01 SS muffler (for you F-body boys, it was one of the SLP Dual/Duals with the "cone of silence"- a metal plate with a 1/2" hole cut in it - still welded in on the driver's side).
Old 10-01-2005, 12:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yea, your not pissing me off, I was just making a comment that they are good systems but some are better....but once again....I won't be running a Corsa b/c its a 1990 Truck....they don't make them for my truck nor would I buy one off of ebay for it. But regarding my other post, I have gathered that Magnaflow and Hooker are really used.....but I have a question for the Hooker users....why not use the Maxflow...it flows more and put out more power and if you are....how do they compare to the aerochamber. If I was going Magnaflow....which would be the best muffler choice for the hearty/growling/throaty sound that I wont without scarificing performance...I read where the aerochamber flows 441 but in that article you posted was 3** cfm. It that a straight through muffler?
Old 10-01-2005, 03:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Flyer
Back to the subject on hand ..... I like the Hookers a LOT. I got a pair of them on a dual 2 1/2 setup with no cats and I love the sound of it. I wouldn't trade it for any other I've heard.
I can vouch for Flyers setup. It is one of the best sounding trucks I have heard and it sounds its best going down the 1/4 . I had Flowmaster single muffler(single/dual) before so obviously my new muffler Maganaflow dual in/dual out is alot better. I was set on the Magnaflow untill I heard Flyers truck and then I gave it a second thought.
Old 10-01-2005, 09:11 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by YenkoST
Yea, your not pissing me off, I was just making a comment that they are good systems but some are better....but once again....I won't be running a Corsa b/c its a 1990 Truck....they don't make them for my truck nor would I buy one off of ebay for it. But regarding my other post, I have gathered that Magnaflow and Hooker are really used.....but I have a question for the Hooker users....why not use the Maxflow...it flows more and put out more power and if you are....how do they compare to the aerochamber. If I was going Magnaflow....which would be the best muffler choice for the hearty/growling/throaty sound that I wont without scarificing performance...I read where the aerochamber flows 441 but in that article you posted was 3** cfm. It that a straight through muffler?
Ok. I just didnt want you to think I was out to get you all riled up.
Old 10-01-2005, 11:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

No problem man....so, are these Aerochambers straight through or what....what's the deal with them?

Quick Reply: Which muffler out of these do ya'll like the most?