Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Which muffler out of these do ya'll like the most?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2005, 08:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Am I the only one that thinks Flowmasters sound like crap at high RPMs? I'll agree the Flows sound mean as hell off idle and up to like 3500 but after that total noisy, squeeky crap. And I've owned some and heard them on all kinds of vehicles, same nasty sound. Sorry it's kind of off topic.
Old 10-04-2005, 09:22 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jmproductions
Am I the only one that thinks Flowmasters sound like crap at high RPMs? I'll agree the Flows sound mean as hell off idle and up to like 3500 but after that total noisy, squeeky crap. And I've owned some and heard them on all kinds of vehicles, same nasty sound. Sorry it's kind of off topic.
Your not alone buddy!!!!
Old 10-04-2005, 09:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 99Silver5.3
Your not alone buddy!!!!

i'll second that!!!
Old 10-04-2005, 11:43 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nope, you're not alone, my 70 series big block Flowmaster sucked a$$ at high RPM....kind of a whooshy, whistly, diarrhea-type sound.
Old 10-05-2005, 08:36 AM
TECH Addict

Default Flowmaster Disaster

You are not alone at all dude.....

I have a Flowmaster Super 40 on my truck a year ago....and when I would go to W.O.T., it sounded like a vaccum cleaner...just like a rush of air...no tone whatsoever......junk......that's why I don't even have a muffler now!
Old 10-05-2005, 12:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

the flowmaster-hemi parrellel, everybody on this board hates them
Old 10-06-2005, 11:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yea, I definately don't want a slowmaster....they do sound good at idle but its not for me. Its still a toss up between the hookers aerochambers and magnaflows. I've asked this but I will again....what size magnaflow....14" case or what.....and have ya'll tried the hooker maxflow yet?
Old 10-14-2005, 05:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Still trying to see if anyone tried the maxflow or any suggestions on what size magnaflow to go with?
Old 10-14-2005, 06:32 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by YenkoST
Still trying to see if anyone tried the maxflow or any suggestions on what size magnaflow to go with?
Go with whatever Magnaflow you want. There are a few rules to follow:

Bigger = Quieter
One-in, Two-out = Even Quieter Still
Two Mufflers in Series = Less Chance of Resonance

So, for example, if you wanted loud and didn't care about a little resonance, I'd buy a single small-to-medium Magnaflow muffler. If you wanted semi-loud, but no resonance, I'd be tempted to put two of the smaller Magnaflow mufflers in series. For absolute quiet, with absolutely no resonance, and absolutely the best performance, put two huge mufflers in series (see attached pic).

It sounds like you want the answer without doing any experimentation. My experience is that you have to make your own mistakes. Even though my system is perfect for me, no one could tell me how to design it. I had to buy a piece of crap Gibson system, then weld in a low-flowing Flowmaster muffler, to show me what I didn't want, before I had enough experience to do the right research and design what I really wanted.

You should count on it taking at least a couple of iterations in order for you to get exactly what you want, and you have to do that work, no one else can do it for you.
Attached Thumbnails Which muffler out of these do ya'll like the most?-exhaust-1.jpg  
Old 10-14-2005, 10:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yea....one muffler is fine with me....I'll take a little loud with single in/out muffers but its more of the case...I'm trying to do true duals with an x-pipe so...its either aerochambers or magnaflows