Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Mufflers, I'm at it again!

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2005, 09:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mufflers, I'm at it again!

For those of you who know me and how many mufflers I had on my 00 Silverado, I thought I would share this. I've gone through four mufflers on my Hemi Ram and decided enough was enough, I went back to stock. The stock muffler actually has a decent sound to it and is the only muffler that doesn't resonate in the cab even with me using the stock 3" tailpipe and factory resonator. My truck is dead stock now except for the ram-air system I made for it, no tune, no intake and now no muffler.
When I decided to go back to stock I was wondering how much performance I would actually give up so I did several G-tech runs when I still had the Magnaflow 12589 muffler on my Hemi Ram. Since putting the stock muffler back on, I've done several more G-tech runs and compared the results. I got in five runs with the Magnaflow and have done seven with the stock muffler on. I did 0-60 and 1/4 times, mph and even recorded the temp each evening. I averaged out the numbers and here's what I got.

Magnaflow: 0-60 in 7.09, 1/4 in 15.45 @ 91.0 mph, ave temp 53*
Stock: 0-60 in 7.18, 1/4 in 15.51 @ 90.5, ave temp 55*

So, you can see that the Magnaflow did make a difference but not really that much. I'll give up the small power gain (butt meter couldn't tell the difference) of .09 0-60 and .06 1/4 mile not to have the muffler resonation inside the truck. Now, alot of people think the Magnaflow is one of the best mufflers to swap out if you want to use the stock tailpipe (for the Hemi Ram's), this shows me it changes the noise level more than it changes performance. I just bought an Airaid Jr. intake kit (MIT tube and drop in filter), that be be my next G-tech test. Just thought I would share this!
Jim
Old 04-12-2005, 09:25 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Thanks for the update Jim!

It helps me when i adivse customers on what works and what doesn't for their Hemi trucks.
Old 04-12-2005, 09:28 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thats good to know. Intresting... thats a very little again.

Are you changing them again? Or no. I was looking at a single chamber muffler.. idk how that would fair with performance.. but ive heard they are pretty loud, i need a sound clip of one and maybe some numbers.
Old 04-12-2005, 09:36 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

had to give up performance? those are words you dont hear from a Gm loyalist. Just had to flick it jim, only because i know you can take it.
Old 04-12-2005, 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by F8L Z71
Thanks for the update Jim!

It helps me when i adivse customers on what works and what doesn't for their Hemi trucks.
Yep Justin, I gained more noise than anything, some guys want to hear the exhaust, I really don't anymore. My muffler guy kept saying to me the factory exhaust systems now are pretty darn good now, alot of R&D goes into them. The truck seems to drive better now, better low end and I bet where I lose the little bit of time is above 5K, but I'm almost never there in my day to day driving.
Jim
Old 04-12-2005, 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by gonzo 6.0
had to give up performance? those are words you dont hear from a Gm loyalist. Just had to flick it jim, only because i know you can take it.
It's cool Gonzo! If GM would put the LQ9 6.0L in the 1500 Crew Cabs, I would get one. The wife would kill me though! She was pissed when I bought the Ram (and no, not because it's a Dodge) because it was almost paid off. She would REALLY BE PISSED if I went out and bought another truck now.
Jim
Old 04-12-2005, 09:48 PM
13 Second Truck Club

Yeah I used to be all about loud, now it just anoys the **** out of me. Especially on trucks, all it is is making them loud, in most cases they arent fast (except obviously for the people posting in here ) Now a choppy big block chevy, or something running 10s, that sounds great to me.
Old 04-12-2005, 09:48 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

GMC Denali crew,they are cool,guess it would be AWD which you dont need and it maybe LQ4.There is hope for you yet amigo.
Old 04-12-2005, 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by lotsofhp
Yeah I used to be all about loud, now it just anoys the **** out of me. Especially on trucks, all it is is making them loud, in most cases they arent fast (except obviously for the people posting in here ) Now a choppy big block chevy, or something running 10s, that sounds great to me.
Yep, I used to have my exhaust LOUD, turn down duals under the axle of my 77 T/A. I still love the sound of an OLD muscle car exhaust, you can't beat it. Todays cars and trucks just don't sound the same to me and I definitly don't want to hear it in my daily driver. One day, if I get an older car with a lumpy cam, I will want to hear it because it'll be my play car that I drive only once in a while.
Jim
Old 04-12-2005, 09:59 PM
Formerly one92rs

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

this is the very thing that has me thinking about a stock hd muffler for mine. no noise anymore.

Quick Reply: Mufflers, I'm at it again!