Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

My 5.3 to 6.0 swap

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2011, 12:58 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah it definatley runs alot better all-around now, seems a little better on gas too probably because the whole setup is running more efficient now. It took me a while to notice the fuel starvation because I just now started really romping on the gas since my change from the break in oil to the synthetic. It's definatley a blast to drive, I know its not a super fast truck compared to alot on this forum but it amazes my buddies how fast it is for a lifted truck with 35" tires. When I punch the gas at 55+mph it still chirps those 35"s pretty good! with the old 5.3 I had good low end with my gear setup but lost it up top, this 6.0 has more torque right off the line and just keeps pulling all the way to 100+mph.

Next I need to install my HD2 shiftkit/servos/etc. (already have the bigger cooler installed). I had justin tune the tranny back to stock so I wouldn't need a retune after the Transgo kit install but I forgot how crappy these things shift stock! If I'm not on the gas all the way it falls on its face in between shifts. So I figure if I can chirp these big *** tires with my stock shifting then I will have alot more traction issues once I install the transgo. Im also going to do the compcam trunion kit for the rocker arms because the factory trunions seem real sloppy/loose and every now and then I hear a little more valvetrain noise than usual (not lifter tap but just kinda "Clacky" sounding, and my buddy had the same noises on his camaro years ago and the trunion upgrade quieted it down.

Then after the transgo install I will be getting the bigger injectors, Try-y's (only CARB legal headers I can find), and look into re-doing my cat-back exhaust. Running 40series flowmaster right now but leaning towards magnaflow's. LOL, it never ends. Im still trying to start work on my 67 camaro and need to get my jeep ready for winter, but thats how it goes!

Last edited by brandon_6667; 11-08-2011 at 01:11 PM.
Old 01-12-2012, 02:29 PM
Launching!

Well it's been a while since my last update. Truck is still running good! Just got the Transgo HD2 shiftkit installed over the weekend along with a vette servo, aluminum accumulators and foward piston, and a transgo hardened seperator plate.

I didn't use any washers on the accumulator and only 1 gold spacer for the vette servo. I couldn't be happier with it! I had the trans settings all put back to stock when Blackbear tuned the ECU for the 6.0 cause I was already plannin on doing the shiftkit but I ended up driving it around for a month or so with the stock shifting/pressures and WOW what a difference now I got the kit in! I can literally feel more power getting to the tires now (no more slippage) and it shifts quick and firm through all the gears, and since I didn't use any spacers in the 1-2 accumulator the 1-2 shift under light throttle feels firm but not too hard or neck snapping.

I also got a good deal on some 8.1 marine injectors since I am 99% sure I am still lacking fuel past 5000rpm and after I get my long tube headers (saving up $ for CARB legal ones, damnit!) I will get the retune for the headers and injectors and post some new speedo vids. Truck should be about done for a while after that, but you know how it goes i'm already considering different wheels and tires now and it never ends!
Old 01-12-2012, 07:25 PM
Man Motor club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad to hear it man
Old 01-12-2012, 08:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

keep the mods coming and keep us updated on how it goes.. You gotta love those strict california laws.. Good thing im in north carolina!!
Old 01-12-2012, 09:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What are you running for a fuel pump? My pump runs out of umph at 5300 RPM on my 5.3... :-/
Old 01-13-2012, 10:32 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by dmelvin
What are you running for a fuel pump? My pump runs out of umph at 5300 RPM on my 5.3... :-/
It's a newer stock pump. Replaced it a couple years ago, but I'm for sure planning on either a high performance in-tank pump or at least adding a walbro gss340m inline. Any recommendations?
Old 11-21-2012, 10:15 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Brandon,

This is a great thread. Thanks for the writeup.

I'm just doing an LS1 swap into a 1986 Porsche 911. As soon as I'm done with that, I'm planning on swapping the 5.3 out of my '02 Suburban for a 6.0.

Having done the LS1 into the Porsche, there's a lot of interface tweaks - VDO oil sender, special fittings for the fuel lines, you know. Since it was a Euro car nothing matches. So, I'm still a little shellshocked by all this.

Because of that, I just wanted to be clear. You used the intake manifold off the LM7 on the LQ9 - so all that bolted right up, obviously. All the sending units were a match as well, right?

Also, did you use the accessory drive from the LQ9 (6.0) or the LM7 (5.3)?

Thanks,

Hal
Old 11-21-2012, 12:10 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Motor_Mouth
Brandon,

This is a great thread. Thanks for the writeup.

I'm just doing an LS1 swap into a 1986 Porsche 911. As soon as I'm done with that, I'm planning on swapping the 5.3 out of my '02 Suburban for a 6.0.

Having done the LS1 into the Porsche, there's a lot of interface tweaks - VDO oil sender, special fittings for the fuel lines, you know. Since it was a Euro car nothing matches. So, I'm still a little shellshocked by all this.

Because of that, I just wanted to be clear. You used the intake manifold off the LM7 on the LQ9 - so all that bolted right up, obviously. All the sending units were a match as well, right?

Also, did you use the accessory drive from the LQ9 (6.0) or the LM7 (5.3)?

Thanks,

Hal
I used my intake manifold from my 5.3 on my LQ9. Everything bolts right up. Out do have to change the starter though to the beefier one that goes with the LQ9 though. The stock one fits but it will burn out pretty quick especially if you have 180k on the old one like I did lol.
Old 11-21-2012, 12:54 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 04Burban
I used my intake manifold from my 5.3 on my LQ9. Everything bolts right up. Out do have to change the starter though to the beefier one that goes with the LQ9 though. The stock one fits but it will burn out pretty quick especially if you have 180k on the old one like I did lol.
Thanks. Sounds great.
Old 11-23-2012, 03:19 AM
Launching!

I used the intake from the lm7, was identical. Accesories were all the same but I didnt get a new starter so at 155K im sure the stock 5.3 starter will be wearing out soon either way.

I recently got the 42LB injectors in and they made a big difference. the truck sounds a little beefier even just at idle and has ALOT more power now on the top end, runs a little smoother all around as well as a little more responsive.

The truck is running great but with the old pro comp AT's i'm running I get no traction under 50mph so I havent really raced anyone from a stop but from a rolling start the truck can move pretty damn good!

After wheels and tires the last mod for a while will be headers with true dual 2.5 inch exhaust with an X pipe and a di/do magnaflow. should sound a little cleaner than the current Flowmaster and should get a good power increase, the stock manifolds and Y pipe are definatley robbing some power from this 6.0!