Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

My 5.3 to 6.0 swap

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2010, 02:22 PM
Truck Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why not replace them while you are in there!!
If it were mine I would looking like that.
Old 12-26-2010, 02:01 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Wheatley
Why not replace them while you are in there!!
If it were mine I would looking like that.
Looks like main bearings would run about $70 or so on rockauto.com so I might just do them while im in there. but do they look bad at all? If I do the main bearings I might as well do the rod bearings too, right? are the rod bearings any different to replace or does it just involve using a mic to make sure everything is round and within spec like the main bearings? I will replace the rod bolts too with some arp's while im in there since it's been recommended so much.

Also, I have heard people talking about using Federal-mogul main bearings because they provide better oiling. Any input on that? and if I do use them would I need a hi flow oil pump or would the stock oil pump still be adequate?

-Another question, should I replace the knock sensors while its apart? they are about $40 each from pace performance but I would need to buy a special socket to remove them too, right?

Last edited by brandon_6667; 12-26-2010 at 03:31 PM.
Old 12-26-2010, 03:35 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by brandon_6667

-Another question, should I replace the knock sensors while its apart? they are about $40 each from pace performance but I would need to buy a special socket to remove them too, right?
I would go ahead and replace them I have changed knock sensors in 3 trucks already u wont need a special tool and I would seal them in there with RTV because water is what makes them go bad.
Old 12-29-2010, 12:03 PM
Launching!

So I ordered the rest of needed seals and gaskets including the MLS head gaskets, Factory replacement TTY head bolts, rear main cover and crank seal, etc. Im going to order the bearings in a week or two when I have the money and have the time to check all the bearing surfaces with a micrometer to make sure I order the right size bearings.

Now theres the last bit of 'optional' upgrades i'm considering, any input on the necessity of these upgrades would be appretiated!

LS2 timing chain
- Definatley going to buy but should i upgrade the gears too or just the chain?

CompCams rocker arm trunion upgrade
-Really just not sure if I should worry about them?

ARP Rod bolts
- Been told to do these while I'm in there, cheap insurance?

LS7 lifters
-With only around 50k on the current lifters should I worry about replacing? I've heard these are alot better than the previously used LS lifters but I think they are a little taller which would mean I would need different pushrods than the ones I currently have for it.

Melling high pressure oil pump
-I am considering it since I will have to remove the current oil pump for the crank inspection anyway, but I have also heard that you can swap a bypass spring or something in the factory pump to get that extra 10psi that the high pressure pump offers. any info on this?
Old 01-03-2011, 01:38 AM
Launching!

Im also having a hard time finding the replacement bolts that go into the sides of the main bearing caps from outside the block. anyone have a link or part # ??
Old 01-04-2011, 09:12 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Figured that I'd copy and paste my reply to you from your PM, just to keep things up to date This is just my .02, and not the gospel by any means...

Originally Posted by budhayes3
I like everything except the high pressure oil pump...IMO, oil pressure is not a problem with the LS engines, if anything I'd just do a factory replacement pump, or a high volume pump (if there is such a thing available).

No need to replace the timing gears, the LS2 chain will work fine with what you have. If your new block doesn't have a crank gear on it, you might want to spring for one of them as I've heard of guys having problems getting their old crank gear off when trying to swap it on to another crank.

Rod bolts are cheap insurance and now's the time to do them...I like the trunion upgrade too, but like you mentioned, if cash is tight, you could always do that later. Lifters for sure, just like with the rod bolts, now's the time to do them while everything's apart (even if you're not having any problems with your current lifters). A set of LS7 lifters are cheap, but having to replace them in the truck is labor intensive, and will cost the price of head gaskets, bolts (if using the TTY stockers), fluids, etc. I'd replace them now while everything's apart (especially since the newer LS7 lifters are supposed to be better as you mentioned)

Sounds like you're on the right track man...
Old 01-21-2011, 03:19 AM
Launching!

I've got it all torn down to the block now. I will probably take the block, pistons, and rods to a machine shop to get everything cleaned up and probably cam bearings installed in the block as well as have them check to make sure the crank and rods aren't out of round or anything. once i have them take a look at it I will be able to order the rod and crank bearings alond with cam bearings and piston rings. Any recommendations on piston rings? anything else I should consider while having it at the machine shop?

Name:  DSC01875.jpg
Views: 1550
Size:  146.3 KB

Name:  DSC01877.jpg
Views: 1567
Size:  101.2 KB

Name:  DSC01878.jpg
Views: 1546
Size:  81.6 KB

Name:  DSC01858.jpg
Views: 1533
Size:  97.9 KB
Old 01-24-2011, 02:32 PM
Launching!

how about piston rings, any recommendations? should I consider new pistons or are the factory ones from 2002 good?
Old 01-24-2011, 04:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by brandon_6667
how about piston rings, any recommendations? should I consider new pistons or are the factory ones from 2002 good?
If you have removed the pistons from the cylinders and disturbed the rings, you will have to have the cylinders honed and new rings installed. They develop a specific wear patteren to them. I pulled a motor apart once and tried to put everything back exactly as it came out and I ended up with 40% leakdown across all the cylinders.
Old 01-24-2011, 05:05 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Country Boy
If you have removed the pistons from the cylinders and disturbed the rings, you will have to have the cylinders honed and new rings installed. They develop a specific wear patteren to them. I pulled a motor apart once and tried to put everything back exactly as it came out and I ended up with 40% leakdown across all the cylinders.
Yeah i'm already planning on honing it and installing new rings. am just looking for some recommendations on good piston ring sets and if I should replace the pistons as well or just a hone and rings.

Quick Reply: My 5.3 to 6.0 swap