Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

My 6.0 4L80E Build, So far...

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2009, 10:36 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The last of the goodies, now I'm ready for the machine shop. Should be droping it off today or mon.

Old 01-16-2009, 11:01 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

So do those rods get cracked at the machine shop?
Old 01-16-2009, 11:16 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by GMCtrk
So do those rods get cracked at the machine shop?
Scats are not cracked rods, there machined and use cap screw instead of bolts
Old 01-22-2009, 03:41 PM
On The Tree

The Block, Pistons, Rods, Bearings, Cranks, Main Caps are all the engine shop. However I am still searching for a overdriven crank pulley (Harmonic Damper). Anyone know where I might be able to get one. I've done a little searching online with no results. What material should be used to pin the pulley to the crank shaft? I have an array of material in my shop from Stainless to Hastalloy X. I might be able to get a hold of a long inconnel aircraft rivit....could work nicely!
Also thinking about selling off the cam I bought and going with the GT2-3, but the max lift on the springs in the heads now is .570, you guys think it's worth the effort for the added performance? (remember it's not a track truck)
I decided I won't be using the truck for towing anything heavy. I have a shop truck, 09 F350 I can use if I need to tow anything big.
Old 01-22-2009, 08:55 PM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Received 786 Likes on 652 Posts

Originally Posted by Copper&Black
The Block, Pistons, Rods, Bearings, Cranks, Main Caps are all the engine shop. However I am still searching for a overdriven crank pulley (Harmonic Damper). Anyone know where I might be able to get one. I've done a little searching online with no results. What material should be used to pin the pulley to the crank shaft? I have an array of material in my shop from Stainless to Hastalloy X. I might be able to get a hold of a long inconnel aircraft rivit....could work nicely!
Also thinking about selling off the cam I bought and going with the GT2-3, but the max lift on the springs in the heads now is .570, you guys think it's worth the effort for the added performance? (remember it's not a track truck)
I decided I won't be using the truck for towing anything heavy. I have a shop truck, 09 F350 I can use if I need to tow anything big.
I think you should just stick with the first cam you already got. Aren't you using a Radix or something with this new engine??? I forgot what the final descions were... LOL
I was wondering what you were up to... I just got my second block back from the machine shop. My first block had 1 cylinder that had minor pitting. I think it will need to go .030 over. New one will go .010 with no problems...
Old 01-22-2009, 09:43 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 1FastBrick
I think you should just stick with the first cam you already got. Aren't you using a Radix or something with this new engine??? I forgot what the final descions were... LOL
I was wondering what you were up to... I just got my second block back from the machine shop. My first block had 1 cylinder that had minor pitting. I think it will need to go .030 over. New one will go .010 with no problems...
Yeah I'm going with the radix. That was my thinking that I was goin to be producing plenty of power anyway. Sucks about the first block, good to hear you got it taken care of.
Old 01-22-2009, 10:09 PM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Received 786 Likes on 652 Posts

Just one more for my collection... .030 on the first block just means I will have to buy those stroker pistons that guy has on sale... But since I got the .010 stock stroke pistons, I would like to build one of those for my dd
Old 01-23-2009, 04:45 PM
On The Tree

nice build so far! subscribed
Old 02-24-2009, 07:19 PM
On The Tree

Sorry for the long delay....But we have bought a new building for the machine shop and we have been going crazy prepping to move.

Here is what has gone on so far...I got my block back from the machine shop. Decked, Machined to 4.010, Cam Bearings, Balanced Crank, Weight Matched pistons & rods, and file fitted rings.

I am prepping to begin assembly, just as soon as I pick up the Clevite main bearings tomorrow, and Hit the block with a little Gloss black engine enamel this weekend.

Contemplating hitting the blower with some gloss black as well, what do you guys think?....Plan on going with copper valve covers

Old 02-24-2009, 07:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I say go for it,, it would match the scheme you have goin.. and i like the build you have goin man, lookin good!

Quick Reply: My 6.0 4L80E Build, So far...