Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

My 6.0 4L80E Build, So far...

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2009, 09:13 PM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Received 786 Likes on 652 Posts

Damn... I new I was forgetting something today... My crankshaft was supposed to be done finally...

Looks like your still making good progress though. definitally better then me
Old 02-24-2009, 09:15 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How about painting the blower copper, and doing the ribs in black
Old 02-24-2009, 10:06 PM
11 Second Truck Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

that would be nice imo.^^^^
Old 02-25-2009, 12:19 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

so did Mesa do the machine work? if so make sure you check/clean out the coolant passages. my last motor from them came back packed full with hot tank crud and rust in the passageways because they never popped the freeze plugs out.

otherwise the machine work was perfect although i have seen some shitty stuff come from there over the years
Old 02-25-2009, 07:52 PM
On The Tree

Thanks all for the comments....
I was thinking about painting the blower copper but I think it would be a little too much, I might change my mind and go for it though, I might shoot a test shot of the colors and change my whole plan. If the copper is nice enough, I might just say screw the black...Maybe an all copper engine & supercharger w/ aluminum heads would look bad ***?

Yes Mesa did the work, and at first glance it looks to be well done. I will be fully inspecting every square inch of everything before assembly. I plan on flushing and hitting some of the coolant passages with a stainless brush to get rid of some of the rust. I have all the micrometers, bore gauges, etc to check everything out.

Hey FastBrick any of those tranny shops near you have a good used 4wd output shaft for the 80e, and a 4wd to transfer case adapter? I need to start messing with that, and overhaul my transfer case. I'll gladly shoot you some bucks for helping me out...
Old 02-25-2009, 07:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

subscribed..

awesome build
Old 02-25-2009, 10:04 PM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Originally Posted by Copper&Black
Thanks all for the comments....
I was thinking about painting the blower copper but I think it would be a little too much, I might change my mind and go for it though, I might shoot a test shot of the colors and change my whole plan. If the copper is nice enough, I might just say screw the black...Maybe an all copper engine & supercharger w/ aluminum heads would look bad ***?

Yes Mesa did the work, and at first glance it looks to be well done. I will be fully inspecting every square inch of everything before assembly. I plan on flushing and hitting some of the coolant passages with a stainless brush to get rid of some of the rust. I have all the micrometers, bore gauges, etc to check everything out.

Hey FastBrick any of those tranny shops near you have a good used 4wd output shaft for the 80e, and a 4wd to transfer case adapter? I need to start messing with that, and overhaul my transfer case. I'll gladly shoot you some bucks for helping me out...
Oh it was You I was talking to about that... I could not remember for the life of me. I was even trying to search for it just yesterday. I was Just at the shop last week asking them about those type of parts. I was qouted $65 for a nice Quality used 2wd Shaft for a 4L80E They said they could get the end housing also.

I will need to call them and ask about the 4x4 shaft and adapter for you. I need to know which transfer case You have. I am not familiar with your particular vehical... all the newer Tahoe's I have worked on were 2WD.

Man I wish I would have known that 2 weeks ago... I was gonna pick up a used 4L80E But it was a 4x4 and I didn't wanna mess with it. I Figured I would just wait and just get a 2WD model... I will go look and see if it's still at the wrecking yard. If it is, I can pick it up and just swap you parts out right. Either way I need to know what case you have so I can get the right adapter. I wana say it will most likely be an NP241. Look on the round tag on the transfer case and let me know.
Old 03-01-2009, 08:16 AM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Going shoping... Never heard back from you. I Need to know which T-Case.... I cant believe what people want for those stupid adapters...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Chevy...spagenameZWDVW
Old 03-01-2009, 03:16 PM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

No luck this week... They crushed it...

But, I did run into a Gm Dealership Transmission guy at the local car swapmeet and he really knows his stuff...

241 Is a manual T case and the 246 is the same Basic set up but electronic...

He said yours should be the 246. Bolt pattern is the same between the two but one has studs and the other uses long bolts. Other thing that maybe different is the spline count. He wasn't 100% positive on that detail... but says he thinks there maybe a difference between a 1/2 ton and the 3/4 ton 246 as far as the input goes on the case.

He said The factory adapter plate is around $150-$200 from GM

If your dead set on doing it yourself I will see what I can find. Other wise you might look into saleing that one and getting one thats already out of a 4x4....
Old 03-02-2009, 04:41 PM

I love engine build threads....

so jealous!

Quick Reply: My 6.0 4L80E Build, So far...