Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

My exhaust sounds horrible.

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2006, 10:03 PM
Fast lane preferred

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by AGAMBILL
qwick is so right. Ihave used nothing but flos an my 5.3s and It sounds alot bettre than a magnaflow glasspack<thats all a magnaflow is. I do think that JBA makes some awesome stuff too though log on and hear that beast of a LS1

its all in opinion. Corsa has a good sound but that doesn't help Billbob.

I haven't had flows so I don't know about the breakin period, but I wouldn't think they would change as drastically as you describe since they don't have any packing to be burned away.

I don't think you are crazy, but maybe you are getting accustomed to the sound.
Old 04-28-2006, 10:17 PM
5 year bitches!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

no flows are like women they change alot without you realizing it. but after awhile they will pick how they want to sound, kinda like women and how they want to treat you
Old 04-29-2006, 01:38 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Try hitting on the muffler with your hand or a dead blow to see if you hear if any of the directors have come loose. If one come loose it could be blocking the flow.
Old 04-29-2006, 03:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Quik
STFU already about flowmasters, untill anyone on any site can prove them wrong then ppl shouldnt open their mouth about them. ppl love the bandwagon and why you get ppl like yourself. this isnt a personal attack its a statment to everyone who down grades these setups untill they can prove it, they shouldnt speak
It's not just the tone at high RPM I don't like but one muffler on the last set I had broke a baffle (or director) inside the muffler and started squeeking like crazy. It took me a while to figure out what it was, a real PITA. It is unacceptable for a muffler to fail in this way and after asking around it happens more than you think. Flos may have been the **** in the early 90's but I think their quality is lacking now. That's proof enough for me!
Old 04-29-2006, 03:50 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by erronisme
sounds like the flomaster is breaking in
Can anyone explain how a chambered muffler "Breaks in" I dont understand what you think happens????
Old 04-29-2006, 06:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by SweetS10V8
Can anyone explain how a chambered muffler "Breaks in" I dont understand what you think happens????
I agree, I don't think Flomaster uses sound deadening material in their chambered mufflers, so it would seem unlikely that the sound would change significantly over time. Mufflers will break-in louder not softer when they do. I think if his system has actually quieted down it's probably due to what blue_01 said could be happening.
Old 04-29-2006, 08:30 PM
5 year bitches!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

then you obvisously dont know flows. ill let you hear my stang no cats and just dumps with the american thunder catback with 50s on it. its the quietest thing ever at idle and even cruising, hell even at wot its tame. when i first put it on the car it was loud now its quiet
Old 04-29-2006, 10:54 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by SweetS10V8

I don't get this either. There is NO packing to blow out. It is just baffles. WTF??? I had a Flow diasaster that came apart on the inside and was blocking flow. Changed to a Magnaflow. Better sound and cut down on the drone big time.
Old 04-30-2006, 02:13 AM
TECH Addict

A set of Pace Setter long tubes and Off Road Y pipe with a big cam on a 110 LSA will make ANY catback sound good, even Flowmaster. Don't blame your Flowmaster. If the sound you're looking for isn't there at the inlet to your catback the Flowmaster isn't going magically create it for you. That has to be done with your cam and headers.
Old 04-30-2006, 03:12 AM
Launching!

back to the dudes issue. i personely think that you (he) just got used to the sound. at the begining it was new and loud and now that you have used it for awhile it just doesnt seem the same. hey thats funny i think that i just referenced all my previous girlfriends. lol anyway. i think that it would be real hard for there to be somthing physically wrong after just a week of having it. i have had my flowy set up for a year and no problems. i have yet to jump the band wagon and im glad. i love flowmaster. they have to be doing somthing right they have been around a long time with pretty much the same design. as for the sound changing on a chambered muffler all i can say is metal does crazzy things after it heats and cool rapidly a few dozen times. imo

Quick Reply: My exhaust sounds horrible.