Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Is my exhaust system too restrictive for my 6.0L? :TECH ONLY:

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2008, 11:55 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by SynergyV8
Finish that statement of yours....after the dual 2.5's what does it combine into under the bed?
after the muffler it ys into either 3 or 3.25 pipe, but thats on a stock 6.0 with around 5500 rev limit
Old 11-09-2008, 11:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by straightaxle
Your exhaust is fine. your intake should be fine, as the only thing that would cause the intake to be a restriction would be some sort of reverb. or ressonance effect in the intake at that rpm range. however, others do not seem to have that problem with the same size engine and intake. Remember, the engine is nothing more than an air pump. The intake has already proven to flow enough air for your peak power, the only thing that you wuld see on the dyno if the intake was maxed out was a flattening of the power, not a drop (all assuming that the remainder of the combo dictates higher rpm power). Same as above for the exhaust, untill you reach very high rpms, say over 7k. The ONLY thing that dictates power RANGE are the valve events. I would suspect too low of an actual LSA for the small duration of the cam, or excessive advance, either ground or installed. These things will cause very quick torque production, with poor over rev.

Also, the accepted differance w/ auto vs. manual is only max 5% (15% man. 20% auto) and it is usally closer to 2.5% unless we are talking about an old granny box and an 80e, as these are power saps.

Borrow a degree wheel and a piston stop, if you have e-fans, it should be easy and take less than an hour. Then you will KNOW what your valve timing events are.

I don't think the OS has anything to do with it, but it's a thought. The actual cam specs and installed advance would be the best insight to your problem.