Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Is my exhaust system too restrictive for my 6.0L? :TECH ONLY:

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2008, 07:43 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

2.5" collectors on the LT's
Old 10-27-2008, 07:50 PM
How do I change this text

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by hirdlej
The last note I would like to add is that if you look at my AFR, it starts to richen as the RPM's climb. This is telling me that it's not getting enough air (and I know it's not the intake tubing itself). So is this a result of a poor camshaft or poor exhaust? I tuned the truck personally and I can tell you my power enrichment past 4K is perfectly LINEAR so there's no reason for it to start falling like that.
I think the reason your a/f ratio richen as the rpm climbs is due to your v.e table... I think it needs some more work on top, but that doesn't tell you where your power is going up top,,,err well how rich does it get? Also a 4.0 enrichment rate seams pretty aggressive for a n/a engine to me....
Old 10-27-2008, 08:36 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

I don't feel that the exhaust is the problem, LT's, no cats, and 3" pipe should be good for your set up. As mentioned, I'd look towards something in the tuning to correct the rich a/f condition. Just curious, is there any advance ground into the cam?
Old 10-27-2008, 09:26 PM
TECH Junkie

Ok guys, regardless if some of you may not agree with my tune, the fact of the matter is the AFR never gets any richer than 12.5:1 AFR. This isn't going to be the reason the HP falls off so dramatically. Also my total spark advance is 28 degrees with premium fuel. In the end, we can argue 'til the cows come home but the fact of the matter is the AFR is perfect 13.1:1 all the way up until the power starts to drop off at 5300-5400RPM where is very slowly dips to 12.5:1 AFR. I don't think this is enough to warrant a 30 RWHP loss. The fact is, it doesn't matter how I'm getting the AFR there, it's there. Also, spark advance is spark advance, 28 degrees wrung out the most power out of this combo we could. If you want to call the tuning "flawed", that's fine. In the end, the AFR being good and the spark advance being spot on, what's causing the quick declination of HP? The AFR dipping towards the top is telling me it seems as though there's a restriction somewhere with inhaling or exhaling.
Old 10-27-2008, 09:39 PM
How do I change this text

Originally Posted by Wilde Racing
but that doesn't tell you where your power is going up top,,,err well how rich does it get?
Ok guys, regardless if some of you may not agree with my tune, the fact of the matter is the AFR never gets any richer than 12.5:1 AFR. This isn't going to be the reason the HP falls off so dramatically. Also my total spark advance is 28 degrees with premium fuel. In the end, we can argue 'til the cows come home but the fact of the matter is the AFR is perfect 13.1:1 all the way up until the power starts to drop off at 5300-5400RPM where is very slowly dips to 12.5:1 AFR. I don't think this is enough to warrant a 30 RWHP loss. The fact is, it doesn't matter how I'm getting the AFR there, it's there. Also, spark advance is spark advance, 28 degrees wrung out the most power out of this combo we could. If you want to call the tuning "flawed", that's fine. In the end, the AFR being good and the spark advance being spot on, what's causing the quick declination of HP? The AFR dipping towards the top is telling me it seems as though there's a restriction somewhere with inhaling or exhaling.
I'm not calling out your tuning, god knows mine is not spot on ether, just trying to give ideas why the a/f starts going south. As you mentioned a drop to 12.5 isn't going to cost you that much power, I was thinking a larger drop than that....
I'd like to see a log of the tune posted to see what cells you are in when it starts going rich...
Old 10-27-2008, 10:09 PM

Received 226 Likes on 150 Posts

Are there any other guys knocking on the door of 400RWHP with the pacesetters and their supplied ORY?
409 hp with the old style pacesetter ory thats crushed down. pulled power to 6500 rpm
Old 10-27-2008, 10:57 PM
TECH Junkie

Well, here's another log I did while doing a dyno pull (see attached) . I hit 95KPA and maintain that manifold pressure. I also was under the impression that when in PE, your computer automatically goes to 105KPA regardless what your real reading is and your PE miltiplier is based off that.
Attached Files
File Type: hpl
1.hpl (34.4 KB, 67 views)
Old 10-27-2008, 11:21 PM
Resident Retard

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

In that last log it looks like Bank2 sensor 1 O2 sensor is toast.... If you used it to tune with, that might account for some off readings....
Old 10-28-2008, 01:55 AM
hog
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Should tune to get the highest power, not tune to get the "so-called" best a/f ratio.
Hard to do on an intertia only dyno. On a loaded dyno hold the rpms and tune at varying rpms until best power is made in each rpm cell. Roadrunner helps immensely in this area.

You want more fuel at peak torque rpm, then lean it out at peak hp rpm.
It cant be coincidence that your fattening a/f ratio happens at the same rpm as your power dropoff.

If you suspect an exhaust issue, try an open header pass.(if thats easily done)

Goodluck man, I hope it all works out.

peace
Hog

Last edited by hog; 10-28-2008 at 02:05 AM.
Old 10-28-2008, 08:37 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by BlackGMC
In that last log it looks like Bank2 sensor 1 O2 sensor is toast.... If you used it to tune with, that might account for some off readings....

What indication do you see that it's "toast"? It's still switching however I see it's reading 150mv less than the one on the odd cyl bank. Could this possibly be an indication of a bad ground instead? Maybe I should try switching them side to side. The 02's were fine before the 6L swap I'm almost positive of it. Also on about 5 separate occasions since the swap, after startup I've been having what I would consider a soft miss like the truck isn't hitting on all 8 cylinders. A hard miss I would consider ignition related where it causes the engine to jerk, this definatly seems fuel related where it doesn't jerk but the engine just isn't quite firing like it should. I've checked all the injector connections and coil pack connections so I don't think that's it. Also mind you, when this occurs I AM NOT setting a cyl misfire DTC. Usually a mile or so of driving clears this up. It's similar to starting a twin cylinder engine when it's cold and it'll only hit on one cylinder until warmed up. At any rate, can someone tell me every point on the engine harness where the grounds connect? I should clean them and reattach them before I store the truck for the winter. I wonder if a bad ground is causing the bad 02 readings. Also the wideband is stuck up the tailpipe AFTER both pipes merge. Meaning if I had bad fueling on one side, I wouldn't know it since the reading is a combination of both pipes merging. Hmmm interesting point. Let's say on bank 1 I have a 13.1:1 AFR and on bank 2 I have a 12.1:1 AFR. Would this cause the CURVE of my graph to fall off like it is or just make my HP numbers higher? I'm not concerned about numbers at this point. Just confused when the curve drops off so dramatically. I hope this post makes sense.

Quick Reply: Is my exhaust system too restrictive for my 6.0L? :TECH ONLY: