Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Is my exhaust system too restrictive for my 6.0L? :TECH ONLY:

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2008, 01:41 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by S/C Z71
The tune needs tuning.
Please don't make any nonsense posts if you have no reason or logic to back it up.
Old 10-28-2008, 01:48 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by BlackGMC
Ok, no more tune talk, sorry if I whored up your thread just trying to help...If you notice your Manifold pressure, starts out solid then it slowly decreases over the run... All the logs I have seen, none of them do that, the manifold pressure usually peaks around peak tq... So that could indicate something is restricting the airflow and the load increases.... Look at some of your pre-6.0 logs and see if it is the same...
Is 3 or 4 KPA drop or fluctuation really considered an intake or exhaust restriction? I'm not arguing, I'm asking "is it?" If it is, which is it? What's it worth power wise? Could this be happening because the valve events are incorrect or what? Anyone have a '04 DBW 6L intake they want to donate as a test? Is there a part number on the intake manifold somewhere that would prove or disprove if the intakes are different or the same?
Old 10-28-2008, 05:17 PM
How do I change this text

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by hirdlej
I think the power falling off has nothing to do with the tune. AFR is AFR - matter how you get it (right or wrong) in the end if the AFR is on it's on. We can have this discussion another time about part throttle tuning with bad 02's and improper grounds, etc but I'm still not convinced the falling off power is in the tune. I've confirmed the TB was opening all the way, no air intake tube and the exhaust sounds like it's well up to the task. Unless a 4.8L intake manifold is different which I'm told it's not, it has to be in the cam timing or valve events, right?
Intakes are all the same...

Originally Posted by BlackGMC
Ok, no more tune talk, sorry if I whored up your thread just trying to help...

Edit: I was wrong, grams/cyl should peak at peak TQ, then slowly drop down... Not Manifold pressure.... Yours keep climbing...
grams/cylinder is calculated based off the v.e table......

Originally Posted by S/C Z71
The tune needs tuning.
LMFAO, thats nice.....

I didnt relize you have ran this without an intake, I find it interesting that it made less power without the intake tube... Also the fact the the map drops up top make me wonder about the throttle body?? 98 to 92 kpa is about the difference of 0 feet above sea level to 2000 feet....

How about this? Just lowwer your shift points?
Old 10-28-2008, 05:30 PM
High on diesel fumes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If the intake manifold pressure drops some at higher RPM I'd think that it's because it doesn't flow enough air to feed the engine. Have you considered swapping over to something like a Fast or an LS6 intake manifold?

It does sound like your VE table is off a bit at higher RPM as well. If it was dialed in perfectly you would be able to hit your commanded AFR in the PE table instead of it going rich up top. I don't think it's the sole cause of the power dropping off though.

You cam is advanced 2 degrees. This lends itself well to making more torque down low, but your power will fall off sooner as well.

I think you are fighting against top end power with all three of these.
Old 10-28-2008, 07:40 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Wilde Racing

How about this? Just lowwer your shift points?

No way With the horrible gear spacing of the 5 speed you have to keep the revs up to keep it from bogging between gears.
Old 10-28-2008, 08:16 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by thunder550
If the intake manifold pressure drops some at higher RPM I'd think that it's because it doesn't flow enough air to feed the engine. Have you considered swapping over to something like a Fast or an LS6 intake manifold?

It does sound like your VE table is off a bit at higher RPM as well. If it was dialed in perfectly you would be able to hit your commanded AFR in the PE table instead of it going rich up top. I don't think it's the sole cause of the power dropping off though.

You cam is advanced 2 degrees. This lends itself well to making more torque down low, but your power will fall off sooner as well.

I think you are fighting against top end power with all three of these.
I think I'm going to upgrade to the SSR 90mm TB and intake. I found a new take off for $200 then add a dr x on top and should have a nice setup for $400 or so. Although I could upgrade to the Weiand Street warrior setup. After all the screwing around though with relocation brackets, water pumps and hoses and wires for new injectors I'll have a headache and $800 out of my wallet. I have a new cam in mind along with the intake swap that I'd like to try. I'm thinking of a 224/224 .56x/.56x 110 LSA +4 degrees advance. This should keep a similar curve that I have now but carry on higher as well. Peak HP should be around 5800 or so and I should still retain my lowend torque. I think realistically a SSR 90mm intake is in order. It's the cheapest 90mm upgrade I'm going to be able to do, I'll put a SS engine cover on it and it should hide the junk underneath. What do you guys think?
Old 10-28-2008, 08:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

110 lsa This coming from the guy that originally said he should have gone with a 116? lol.

Is that a custom comp grind you're gonna do or will it be on thunder racing's lobes?
Old 10-28-2008, 08:34 PM
TECH Junkie

I'll choose the lobes I want when I'm ready to pull the trigger. One thing at a time though, I think I'm going to try the intake first.
Old 10-29-2008, 11:06 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Please don't make any nonsense posts if you have no reason or logic to back it up.
Dont listen to S/C Z71, he is a trouble maker. He is on another site and does nothing but make stupid comments and use a bunch of smilies. He has very few post that actually have anything to them besides nonsense and smartass comments.
edit: what happened to his post right above mine?

Last edited by outlawz2004; 10-29-2008 at 11:24 AM.
Old 10-29-2008, 01:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

in case you are interested. with a 6 inch piece of flat iron you can make the stock truck engine cover fit.

I think I'm going to upgrade to the SSR 90mm TB and intake. I found a new take off for $200 then add a dr x on top and should have a nice setup for $400 or so. Although I could upgrade to the Weiand Street warrior setup. After all the screwing around though with relocation brackets, water pumps and hoses and wires for new injectors I'll have a headache and $800 out of my wallet. I have a new cam in mind along with the intake swap that I'd like to try. I'm thinking of a 224/224 .56x/.56x 110 LSA +4 degrees advance. This should keep a similar curve that I have now but carry on higher as well. Peak HP should be around 5800 or so and I should still retain my lowend torque. I think realistically a SSR 90mm intake is in order. It's the cheapest 90mm upgrade I'm going to be able to do, I'll put a SS engine cover on it and it should hide the junk underneath. What do you guys think?

Quick Reply: Is my exhaust system too restrictive for my 6.0L? :TECH ONLY: