Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

My exhaust is too quiet... Help!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2004, 05:47 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default My exhaust is too quiet... Help!!

My cat-back is way to quiet. I want it louder but do not want to buy a new exhaust setup or muffler. Should I yank the muffler off or get rid of the cats? I dont know what to do!!
Old 04-09-2004, 06:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yank the cats, i just did today and

i went from a very comfortable sound, and when they took them off, it got a little louder than i anticipated, loud enough to raddle the back piece behind the seats, especially under hard exceleration.. but oh well..
Old 04-09-2004, 06:44 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by rgvsierra
yank the cats, i just did today and

i went from a very comfortable sound, and when they took them off, it got a little louder than i anticipated, loud enough to raddle the back piece behind the seats, especially under hard exceleration.. but oh well..
Did you take them off and put sleeves in place? Or did you hollow the cats out? I was wondering if things would get much louder after I took them off. Guess your reply answers my quesiton. I think after I get the cats off the exhaust wont be too terribly loud. The Borla muffler on my truck is huge.
Old 04-09-2004, 07:35 PM
Moderator / Sponsor

By removing the contents of a cat and replacing the hollow body back in the exhaust system you are in fact creating a "tuning chamber." From a performance and acoustic point of view this can net undesirable results. Usually this will equate to a loud and boomy start-up and low rpm drone. In the Gen III motors you will find that it creates a 2700-3000 rpm drone while crusing or a peak resonace note @ 1800-2000 rpm. As far as the muffler is from the cab it has little chance of removing these harmonics. I have found the addition of short resonators with a .25" less diameter internal tube (as compared to the ptubing size of the y-pipe or head pipe) will provide a good balance in power and deliver a good exhaust note. This is not necessarily the case with the 6.0L .. that animal is a different beast to tune.
Old 04-09-2004, 07:47 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by oxidizr
By removing the contents of a cat and replacing the hollow body back in the exhaust system you are in fact creating a "tuning chamber." From a performance and acoustic point of view this can net undesirable results. Usually this will equate to a loud and boomy start-up and low rpm drone. In the Gen III motors you will find that it creates a 2700-3000 rpm drone while crusing or a peak resonace note @ 1800-2000 rpm. As far as the muffler is from the cab it has little chance of removing these harmonics. I have found the addition of short resonators with a .25" less diameter internal tube (as compared to the ptubing size of the y-pipe or head pipe) will provide a good balance in power and deliver a good exhaust note. This is not necessarily the case with the 6.0L .. that animal is a different beast to tune.
Thats some good info! I did read about turbulence created in an empty cat chamber, which was indeed a bad effect. I was actually going to just remove the cat intact so they can be used at a later time if I need them. I got some sleeves made, so my chore tomorrow is cutting the cats off and welding the sleeves in. I hope this will give me what Im wanting. Is this gonna do away with my low-end now? Cam is going in soon anyways.
Old 04-09-2004, 11:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

99silver

i had them weld in a 2.5 inch section in place of the cats, i did a search on here and gutting the cats wasent to recomended by various posts i read..

i only did this mod cause a cam will be going in soon and figured it would compliment it..
Old 04-10-2004, 12:06 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by rgvsierra
i only did this mod cause a cam will be going in soon and figured it would compliment it..
That was another reason I am getting rid of the cats. Im waiting on my oil pump to come in then Im gonna tackle my cam. Im gonna take the cats off tomorrow after lunch.

RGV,

You have any clips of your exhaust I could listen too? Does anybody have a clip of their catl-ess exhaust I could check out?
Old 04-10-2004, 12:45 AM
TECH Junkie

If you build a good custom wye-pipe to go in place of the cats you won't be louder,but you will make more power,then if you want loud substitute a 3"Dynomax race muffler for your current muffler.That setup will make big power and wakeup the entire naborhood at the same time.
Old 04-10-2004, 11:58 AM
TECH Veteran

Guess im gonna give a 12" Borla XR1 Sportsman a shot and see what happens. The XR1 has to be a bit louder than the 3 foot long thing that is on my truck now.. At least I hope it will be louder!!
Old 04-10-2004, 12:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

i dont have any sound clips, but i'll see if tiburon will help me there, he has a vid camera, i'll see what i can do..

i cant wait to see how it sounds with the 216/220 cam.. oh my

Quick Reply: My exhaust is too quiet... Help!!