Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

My harmonic balancer wobbles

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2008, 01:06 PM
Wearin' da big hat

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
Default My harmonic balancer wobbles

I can see a noticeable wobble in my harmonic balancer and its causing my A/C belt tensioner to move back and forth. Its been like this for about a month now ever since i did my cam swap. I think this could be because I tightened it down using a pry bar through it and a big TQ wrench to tighten it down. Is this going to mess anything serious up, or just cause me to go through belts/tensioners a little faster than normal?

Also, to fix this, do i need to buy a new bolt and redo the harmonic balancer?
Old 08-23-2008, 03:22 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You should not drive it with a wobble. That can't be good on the rotating assembly. Get a new balancer from a member and a new bolt. This time put it on with the impact gun at 200 ft lbs, that's all I did
Old 08-23-2008, 05:44 PM
2nd fastest 5.3 ECSB

Well wobble may not be the word I'd use but mine moves around a bit and always has. My A/C belt tensioner (that little piece of crap) bounces up and down, always has.
Old 08-23-2008, 10:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I replaced mine with an under drive pulley. PM me an offer if your interested.
Old 08-23-2008, 11:11 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by hirdlej
You should not drive it with a wobble. That can't be good on the rotating assembly. Get a new balancer from a member and a new bolt. This time put it on with the impact gun at 200 ft lbs, that's all I did

yep i agree sounds like it got bent..
Old 08-23-2008, 11:16 PM
Wearin' da big hat

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by skeet
yep i agree sounds like it got bent..
Well I have to drive it, as it is my DD. It doesn't wobble too bad, and doesnt really look bent, but it does cause the A/C tensioner to move some. I'll try and take it easy on the truck and I'll go pick up a new bolt and see what kind of deal I can get on a harmonic balancer at work.
Old 08-24-2008, 06:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

When you but the balancer back on there is a tool to us to get it on correctly and a torque procedure for the bolt. Do a search and do it correctly or you will have another failure. The bolts are a one time use and rather cheap, the torque sequence is something like torque to 37 ft lbs and then measure 240 degrees on balancer and torque to that point. It is several hundred pounds of torque and you need a way to hold the engine from turning. 3 ft pipe extension really helps.
Old 08-24-2008, 08:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Gordy M
When you but the balancer back on there is a tool to us to get it on correctly and a torque procedure for the bolt. Do a search and do it correctly or you will have another failure. The bolts are a one time use and rather cheap, the torque sequence is something like torque to 37 ft lbs and then measure 240 degrees on balancer and torque to that point. It is several hundred pounds of torque and you need a way to hold the engine from turning. 3 ft pipe extension really helps.
You mean old bolt 240ft lbs remove throw out, new bolt 37ft lbs and another 140 degrees.
Old 08-24-2008, 08:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 00ChevyScott
Well I have to drive it, as it is my DD. It doesn't wobble too bad, and doesnt really look bent, but it does cause the A/C tensioner to move some. I'll try and take it easy on the truck and I'll go pick up a new bolt and see what kind of deal I can get on a harmonic balancer at work.
It dosent wobble to bad at idle maybe...but add a couple thousand rpm? I would change it.

Last edited by phasemaster1; 08-24-2008 at 10:49 AM.
Old 08-24-2008, 10:52 AM
Banned

its a pulley not a balancer like old school motors. it will wobble alittle bit

and the crank bolt isnt really torqued using a torque wrench you need to do the Degree ordeal

Quick Reply: My harmonic balancer wobbles