Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

My New Motor and trans

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2008, 01:52 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts
Default My New Motor and trans

Ok, so a few of you in the "know", know about my latest engine and tranny swap but for the rest of you, I will go head and spill the beans about what I have been up to. So, if you have been paying attention to the FI section, you know I hurt the little 4.8 a couple of months ago, getting a little to greedy with E-85, here is the link
https://www.performancetrucks.net/fo...&highlight=E85

Well, I thought it would be a good time to do a little upgrading , so I was going to build the iron block 5.7 I had been wanting. I started looking for a 5.3 for a builder and happened to find a smoking deal on a nice LS1 short block with a spun rod bearing. I already had a good crank, and the bores in the LS1 where in good shape and didn't need an over bore, just honed. So I got a set of Maule Pistons and Scat I beam rods to make up a nice upgraded rotating assembly. I had everything balanced and put a set of 317 heads that I cleaned up a little on it to lower the compression for a nice, boost friendly 9.2 to 1 . I kept my same Vinci Ultra Torque cam (210/218 .551/.551 on a 116 lsa).

Well, since I was upping the CI, and the old faithful STOCK 4l60e was still going strong, I figured I would just give it a break and go ahead and put something a little stronger in it to hold up to the 600/600 I'd like to see out of this setup on high boost. I went with a non-sponsor that a few others have used, which turned out to be a BIG mistake (not going to discuss it publicly), but I do have a tranny with the equivalent parts as a FLT 5 or Performabuilt 3. Just not piratically happy with the builder right now, but the tranny has worked fine so far.

I finished the motor and tranny swapped on July 3th. It runs VERY nicely . Motor is a bit on the loose side and has a bit of piston noise on start up but goes away after about 30-60 seconds as the pistons heat up and expand.

I really LOVE the off idle torque this motors has over the 4.8 . It just turned over 600 miles and it got it's first oil change. Everything looks good, it feels so much stronger then the old setup. SOTP feels like the old motor on 11psi with this one just running on 7psi . A few more miles and I'm going to start cranking up the boost! Here's some pic, enjoy

Difference in stock pistons and rods and the Maule's. The machinist said these pistons and rod where quite a bit lighter then the stockers and he had to take a fair amount off the counter weights to get it to balance

A little port clean up.

Last edited by kbracing96; 07-14-2008 at 02:35 PM.
Old 07-14-2008, 01:52 AM
TECH Senior Member

Dreaming with Chris's intake

New "built"tranny

In and puring like a kitten
Old 07-14-2008, 02:49 AM
GFYS and STFU

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm the first I'm the first I'm the first to post!!!

Awesome man! Been wondering why you've been sitting on your hands with the 4.8 outta your truck!! So why did you go for stock cubes rather than stroked and bored?
Old 07-14-2008, 05:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you and Chris work??? All I see you guys do is swap motors in and out of your trucks....

Wish I had a fast truck like you guys!!!
Old 07-14-2008, 10:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Looks good Kyle. Now you can stop seeing Chris tailgate and he can start see yours at drag strip. I can't wait for winter to see those two-truck line up and see who going to win.
Old 07-14-2008, 10:27 AM
TECH Addict

very nice kyle....time to up tha boost!!!!!
Old 07-14-2008, 10:35 AM
High on diesel fumes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Grumpy5.3
Do you and Chris work??? All I see you guys do is swap motors in and out of your trucks....

I work! Then I come home at 5 and work on my truck till midnight

Originally Posted by 53RUSSELL
Now you can stop seeing Chris tailgate and he can start see yours at drag strip.
Not gonna happen!!!
Old 07-14-2008, 11:03 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Spoolin
I'm the first I'm the first I'm the first to post!!!

Awesome man! Been wondering why you've been sitting on your hands with the 4.8 outta your truck!! So why did you go for stock cubes rather than stroked and bored?
Haha, my truck was only down for 10 days and that was only cuz of the damn tranny builder . Should have only taken 2 days . The 4.8 was still running fine after it lifted the head on high boost. I could only run 7psi and keep water in it, so I could still drive it. I even took it to the track one night and just ran low boost,

346 forged ci is just what I wanted and this was a budget build that still cost too much money . I got rid of the short stroke of the 4.8, and picked up the low end pulling torque and should still pull down some good gas mileage. When I need more power, just crank up the BOOST! That's why it got forged pistons and rods in place of the stockers. Everyone wants to just throw a stock 6L in these and boost it, I wanted some thing a little less gas hungry, but when needed will take the big boost numbers. Turbos work more efficiently with less flow and higher boost numbers any way . I LOVE turbos!!

Originally Posted by Grumpy5.3

I'm self employed, so I work on what I want!

Chris is just a working FREAK!

Originally Posted by 53RUSSELL
Looks good Kyle. Now you can stop seeing Chris tailgate and he can start see yours at drag strip. I can't wait for winter to see those two-truck line up and see who going to win.

Originally Posted by bud8fan
very nice kyle....time to up tha boost!!!!!
Soon, soon...

Last edited by kbracing96; 07-14-2008 at 11:30 AM.
Old 07-14-2008, 11:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

So I guess we will have to have a track day when you guys get your motors broken in to see who has the faster truck.
Old 07-14-2008, 12:06 PM
2nd fastest 5.3 ECSB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats on the new build!

Quick Reply: My New Motor and trans