Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

My OBS Longtube Header Install

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2010, 10:50 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My OBS Longtube Header Install

These are some pics of me and Mr. Nobody installing Pacesetter Longtubes in place of my old Pacesetter Shorties on my 99' OBS 5.7L. Everything fit well and the ORY was ran today. Longtubes are 1 5/8 primaries and 3 inch collectors. The ORY is dual 2.5 inch into a custom laser cut flange to bolt up to my factory cat-back with a Flowmaster Super 40. It sounds pretty good, but I may be changing mufflers soon.

Getting rid of the Shorties:

The New Longtubes:

And The ORY:

Old 02-27-2010, 11:10 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice setup man, that flange is pretty trick. Do you have an x or h pipe anywhere? You could always go with one of the Magnaflow mufflers with the built in x
Old 02-27-2010, 11:25 PM
On The Tree

Thanks, I don't have an X or H pipe at the moment but I have been giving it some thought. I've heard a lot of good things about them balancing the pressure and all. I thought about a dual in/out Magnaflow with the built in X but I just don't want any rasp. I'll do somemore research on the muffler situation but theres just so much out there to choose from!
Old 02-27-2010, 11:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

To be effective, you want the cross-over pipe (x- or h-pipe) as close to the collectors as possible. An x-pipe in the muffler is little more than marketing cause by then the exhaust gases have likely cooled enough to have lost their velocity for a cross-over to help.
Old 02-27-2010, 11:56 PM
Wearin' da big hat

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Wheres the videos?
Old 02-28-2010, 12:17 AM
PT's Slowest Truck

Originally Posted by PathfinderJr
To be effective, you want the cross-over pipe (x- or h-pipe) as close to the collectors as possible. An x-pipe in the muffler is little more than marketing cause by then the exhaust gases have likely cooled enough to have lost their velocity for a cross-over to help.
True...plus, I often think that an x or h pipe won't be very effective on most of our trucks considering that the 2 pipes aren't of equal length before where the x usually meets. trever1t actually has a great exhaust set-up with equal length pipes meeting after the transmission...he posted pics a long time ago but they disappeared, and he hasn't re-posted them since (I think he lost them on his computer).

Even though the x will not be completely effective in most of our situations, I still plan to eventually run one after I do my LQ9 swap and go to a true 2.5 dual exhaust.
Old 02-28-2010, 11:08 PM
Launching!

Talking

DUDE!!! thank you sooo much for posting pics. you do not know how long i have looked for headers for my trucks. in every catalog and site longtubes go from the years 88-97 then 99 nbs-up. they skipped the 98. people say i have to notch the frame to get the long tubes to fit... and so ok, great freakin post man. again really good lookin truck. if you do not mind, where did you get the longtubes from? and where did you get the ORY? or wait, you dont have cats do you? shoot, i gotta pass emissions. unless theres a way i can "get away" with no cats and not have a check engine light on, please man let me know, thats almost 200 saved in cats alone. but install looks good. on our motors, do we have any issues taking out header bolts? i know on the new motors they tend to snap heads.

Last edited by cams 98 silverado; 03-01-2010 at 03:59 AM.
Old 03-02-2010, 04:14 PM
On The Tree

Haha....Yea I know exactly what you mean. I looked forever for a pair of longtubes for the 96-99 vortec 5.7's and could never find any. Thats why I got those shorties, and of course as soon as I got them on I was playin around on the computer and found some! Whoever said you had to notch the frame is lying cause they slipped right in, especially the drivers side. They do come close but do not touch. I bought the headers from flatlanderracing.com, and I had my truck tuned and the rear O2 sensors turned off so no engine light is on. I just went to a local exhaust shop to have them reconnect everything back to the catback. I didn't have any issues with the bolts on mine, but I know many 4.8's and 5.3's have that rear drivers side bolt break pretty often. Thanks for the complements
Old 03-02-2010, 09:06 PM
Launching!

where did you get the tune from? i see in your sig its a futral tune. is that mail order? hows the pickup feel since the switch? i was planning on doing shorties just as well but the ones i was going to get were the same price as the longtubes so heck yea im going long. with that super 40 is it a lot louder? im going to start calling shops around here about prices...
Old 03-03-2010, 06:07 PM
Launching!

yea u shouldnt have to notch a frame for headers and that sounds scary... would magnaflows sound good like it does on ls motors being that his is the vortec? i heard one vortec truck with em and it sounded bad.

Quick Reply: My OBS Longtube Header Install