Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Is my Stock MAF hurting my Camd 6L preformance?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2013, 02:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can gut the screen.. but majority of the time it leads to weird issues with Fueling. The screen is there for straighten out the air flow over the sensors in the MAF so it can get an accurate reading of how much air is incoming. Not to keep foreign objects out like the air filter does
It can actually hurt the performance if the acts weird.

Coolant goin thru the Throttle body acutally is needed up north where it gets kinda cold.. Throttle will stick open. Not all the time, its just there to prevent the issue.

The Federal .gov says Catalytic converters are needed.. not me..
Old 04-09-2013, 02:55 PM

Received 226 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by nonnieselman
You can gut the screen.. but majority of the time it leads to weird issues with Fueling. The screen is there for straighten out the air flow over the sensors in the MAF so it can get an accurate reading of how much air is incoming. Not to keep foreign objects out like the air filter does
It can actually hurt the performance if the acts weird.

Coolant goin thru the Throttle body acutally is needed up north where it gets kinda cold.. Throttle will stick open. Not all the time, its just there to prevent the issue.

this. i removed the screen on my MAF, then had to find a unmolested maf after finding some weird issues. the difference between a stock maf and an aftermarket MAF is the stock one works better (probably because of the screen)

ditch the MAF and go speed density if it bothers you.
Old 04-09-2013, 02:55 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by nonnieselman

^^^^ I second that ^^^^
Old 04-09-2013, 03:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

@wicked, I have seen like others the the screen being removed can make things act weird. Like nonnie said "the screen is not there to keep objects out, lol.
I can assure that a dyno run with the screen in and out would add little to no gain.
Yes I have a modded stock air box, as I am sure it flows and keeps out hot air and elements better than the conical style...
Old 04-09-2013, 03:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My stock airbox worked alot better than the K&N intake i use to have. but yea tune it SPeed density and see if you pick up anything without the MAF.
Old 04-09-2013, 05:10 PM
Teching In

1. i know what the coolant going through the tb is suposed to do. i dont think i need to thaw out my tb in texas.

2. screw what the government wants. deleting the rear o2's allows to me pass an inspection thats all i care about.

3. im pretty sure reputable brands such as lingenfelter, granatelli , jet.. have done there research, and i dont see screens in them.

yeah straighening the air flow sounds good in theory and that write up had alot of data behind it. but no comparison. AGAIN, i stated that removing the screen makes them similiar to aftermarket units as listed to let the OP know its not worth investing in an aftermarket one, since theres minimal gains to be had.
Old 04-09-2013, 05:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by wickedRCSB
1. i know what the coolant going through the tb is suposed to do. i dont think i need to thaw out my tb in texas.

2. screw what the government wants. deleting the rear o2's allows to me pass an inspection thats all i care about.

3. im pretty sure reputable brands such as lingenfelter, granatelli , jet.. have done there research, and i dont see screens in them.

yeah straighening the air flow sounds good in theory and that write up had alot of data behind it. but no comparison. AGAIN, i stated that removing the screen makes them similiar to aftermarket units as listed to let the OP know its not worth investing in an aftermarket one, since theres minimal gains to be had.
im with you. ive removed them without any real issues. i do however hope in the future to do speed density tuning.