Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

My STS experience so far...

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2005, 02:00 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My STS experience so far...

I'll number these to make it easier to read.

1. Turbo kit was received approximately 2-2 1/2 weeks after it was ordered, (wastegates were not in) although myself or the Tuner couldn't find out when it was to be sent out, or if it was already sent out.
2. Methanol Injection was received 1 week later.
3. Filter Relo kit is still not here, but I was told I was to receive it the same day as the Meth kit (obviously didn't happen).
4. Getting someone on the phone is just about impossible. Even my Tuner(s) have had trouble getting someone to call them back. 1 of 5 emails was responded to.
5. I was sent 1 tracking number after requesting it directly through STS. The Tuner I ordered the kit through couldnt not get a response.
6. After multiple calls, I never received a tracking # for the Methanol kit or the Filter Relo kit (neither did the Tuner).
7. The STS kit was received, but with the "old install documentation". 2 or 3 days later the Tuner received the "supplimental install doc". During this time they wasted a few extra hours trying to figure out why a few of the parts would not fit.
8. My Denali was stock except for a "cat-back" from Flowmaster. Because I didn't have the stock exhaust, this cost an extra few hours of custom fitting exhaust parts. If I had the stock exhaust, evidently it would have been much easier (would have been nice to know this ahead of time).
9. The Tuner is going to put the sensor for the IAT in a different spot so that it reads the temps whether I'm running the Meth or not. In other words, it won't run 8-9psi if I'm out of Meth and the temps are too high. The STS rep I spoke with thought it was a great idea but hadn't heard of doing that. (Just an FYI to ask your Tuner about doing this for you).
10. From the day I dropped my car off, to the day it will be ready, is going to be close to 2 weeks. Mostly due to little issues (above) that we didn't know about. Another minor issue was the A-pillar: in the Yukon Denali with Bose, it houses a different speaker in the pillar than any of the others so there needs to be a custom hole drilled for the tweeter.

I'm sure there is more, but that's all I can think of for now.
I should have the truck back tomorrow and will post driving impressions, dyno results, 0-60 times (G-Tech) and 1/4 mile times (at Firebird Raceway) hopefully by next week!

On a side note, please don't read this as a bash on STS or the Tuner. That is not my intention. I simply want to state my experiences so far. Xtreme is doing the install now, and they've been very upfront and helpful along the way. They've done about a dozen STS installs so I don't expect any issue once I actually get the truck back!
Old 03-09-2005, 02:11 PM
what a rush!

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

looking fwd to the follow-on data!

Best of luck wrapping it up!
Old 03-09-2005, 03:13 PM
How do I change this text

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That sucks your have that many problems, but I'm sure it will be worth it in the end.
Old 03-09-2005, 03:30 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by moregrip
looking fwd to the follow-on data!

Best of luck wrapping it up!
ME TOO!

As for the problems. They haven't been that big of a deal, just very time consumer making so many calls and worrying/wondering where everything is. Something this fun couldn't possibly go smoothly, could it??

I just called, truck should be done tomorrow!!
Old 03-09-2005, 03:36 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Once you drive the truck you will forget that any of the set backs happened.
Old 03-09-2005, 03:37 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Please dont take this the wrong way but why the STS over the radix?
Old 03-09-2005, 04:21 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by gonzo 6.0
Please dont take this the wrong way but why the STS over the radix?
I wouldn't take that the wrong way. I weighed both options. I would be bored to death with a Radix. For some people, having it put on and being done with it is all they want. In fact, that's probably best for most people. I'm a tweaker (not that kind)...

For the STS, I was able to pick and choose all of the different options like a bigger turbo, electronic boost controller, etc... I'll be able to run 5psi, then 9psi with the Methanol. More if I feel like risking it!!

Also, after riding in an STS truck, it sold me. Being able to play with everything, and have more power was, well, something I needed!

My personal opinion is that a turbo is always the way to go in any car/truck. Until recently, that wasn't an option on a BIG V8!!
Old 03-09-2005, 04:27 PM
what a rush!

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Weedo
I wouldn't take that the wrong way. I weighed both options. I would be bored to death with a Radix. For some people, having it put on and being done with it is all they want. In fact, that's probably best for most people. I'm a tweaker (not that kind)...

For the STS, I was able to pick and choose all of the different options like a bigger turbo, electronic boost controller, etc... I'll be able to run 5psi, then 9psi with the Methanol. More if I feel like risking it!!

Also, after riding in an STS truck, it sold me. Being able to play with everything, and have more power was, well, something I needed!

My personal opinion is that a turbo is always the way to go in any car/truck. Until recently, that wasn't an option on a BIG V8!!
is that so.......hmmmm

next time I'm out in Chandler visiting my cousin I'll have to look you up so we can run'em
Old 03-09-2005, 04:34 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by moregrip
is that so.......hmmmm

next time I'm out in Chandler visiting my cousin I'll have to look you up so we can run'em
LOL! I'd love to! I hope you're running in the mid 13's??

Oh, I never saw you post the numbers from the day you were going to the Dyno?
Old 03-09-2005, 04:48 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Weedo~ That sux about the delays. They arnt that bad though. My engine has been at the builders for the last month and 1/2 the guy went on vacation for 3 weeks right after he told me to send him the engine. I havent had a engine in my truck since November

Quick Reply: My STS experience so far...