Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

My TT3000 sucks!

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2004, 02:49 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I gained about .7 with my converter and shiftkit. No computer programming and a relatively stock truck.

It always worked best from me if I would bring the stall up to about 2k and launch from there. Now there just isn't any traction at all on street tires.
Old 04-12-2004, 04:47 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by rileyc8
Weren't you at the Southern Shootout last year? I was in the sloooowww red 4.8 rcsb GMC. I want a stall for my truck too, probably gonna go with the 3000 yank, but any help you could give me to help me reach the mid 14's would be nice. Do you still have a 4.8 in your truck? I just didn't think those times were possible on just motor for a 4.8. Right now i've got Flowmaster's, Hypertech, Edelbroke shorties, K&N kit, and all i can do is a 15.3 best
yeah I was out there in Belle rose last Oct if thats what your reffering to.
you have about the same thing I had when you last saw me.
15.2 was my best then. I know how you feel about those times. I was also having major issues with the truck getting hot and slowing down.
And yes I still have the 4.8L in there. a stall would diffinatly get you there as well as some 3.73 or 4.10's. with a posi. I went with 3.73 cause I drive on the highway alot.
and yes it's all motor, I dont run Nitrous or a SC, but I do have a built 4L65E. this helps a little too.
Old 04-13-2004, 12:24 AM
TECH Regular

Default Cool, appreciate the input

Originally Posted by 01 Thunder
yeah I was out there in Belle rose last Oct if thats what your reffering to.
you have about the same thing I had when you last saw me.
15.2 was my best then. I know how you feel about those times. I was also having major issues with the truck getting hot and slowing down.
And yes I still have the 4.8L in there. a stall would diffinatly get you there as well as some 3.73 or 4.10's. with a posi. I went with 3.73 cause I drive on the highway alot.
and yes it's all motor, I dont run Nitrous or a SC, but I do have a built 4L65E. this helps a little too.
I planned on getting a stall, guess i'll some gears too. I'll probably go with the 4.10's since i don't drive on the highway much anymore. When i get the converter i guess i'll put the Corvette billet servo in. What else is needed to beef up a transmission though? I've got Edit on the way, but i'm afraid to take out the torque management till it can hold it.
Old 04-13-2004, 02:09 PM
TECH Addict

tell me about it. i can't get the full effect of my yank unless i put it in 4WD
Old 04-13-2004, 05:20 PM
12 Second Club

I planned on getting a stall, guess i'll some gears too. I'll probably go with the 4.10's since i don't drive on the highway much anymore. When i get the converter i guess i'll put the Corvette billet servo in. What else is needed to beef up a transmission though? I've got Edit on the way, but i'm afraid to take out the torque management till it can hold it.
hate to say but a complete rebuild is in order if you want it to hold. just find a shop that does excellant work, not just good work, but excellant work.
then you should have no worries. no promises tho. a trans can go at anytime. trust me I know.
Old 04-14-2004, 12:47 AM
TECH Regular

Default HD Transmission?

hate to say but a complete rebuild is in order if you want it to hold. just find a shop that does excellant work, not just good work, but excellant work.
then you should have no worries. no promises tho. a trans can go at anytime. trust me I know.
Sounds like great advice. How much do you think a excellent rebuild job should run? My transmission has 80K on it right now. I had considered taking out some of the torque management and seeing how long it will last, but i guess i should just bite the bullet and do it right. Depends on the cost i guess. Either way sounds like i'll be getting it rebuilt or a new one. It's not a matter of "if", it's a matter of "when" it goes then huh.

What about something like an HD transmission?
Old 04-14-2004, 08:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

True
Were you running at Trails ?? Weds night....
Old 04-14-2004, 01:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LS1csherm
True
Were you running at Trails ?? Weds night....
No! I have only been out once this year and went to Marion County Friday. Track sucks up there! Waiting for May 7, we rented out the track again!
Old 04-14-2004, 04:43 PM
12 Second Club

Sounds like great advice. How much do you think a excellent rebuild job should run? My transmission has 80K on it right now. I had considered taking out some of the torque management and seeing how long it will last, but i guess i should just bite the bullet and do it right. Depends on the cost i guess. Either way sounds like i'll be getting it rebuilt or a new one. It's not a matter of "if", it's a matter of "when" it goes then huh.

What about something like an HD transmission?
there is a shop here where I live called Century Automotive & Transmissions.
they charged 02Denali 2800 for his Built 4L65E, and charged me 3200 for my built $4L65E( I had other issues than 02Denali did). But you could also check out the 4L65E trans from FLP. I hear they have a nice setup.
Old 04-14-2004, 05:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

there is a shop here where I live called Century Automotive & Transmissions.
they charged 02Denali 2800 for his Built 4L65E, and charged me 3200 for my built $4L65E( I had other issues than 02Denali did). But you could also check out the 4L65E trans from FLP. I hear they have a nice setup.
WATCH OUT FOR CENTURY TRANSMISSION!!!

They charged me $571 to install just a shift kit.
NO KIDDING. They ripped me a new one, and didn't even include vaseline in the deal.

Funny thing is, I brought the transmission to them. They didn't even have to drop it out of the truck....fluid was drained and everything.
A simple bench job.

Mike quoted me $380-400 originally, walked out paying $571 for a simple shift kit install.

I turned red in the face when I saw the invoice. Mike said, "oh, uh, its been a while since we've worked on one of these 4L80's and it wasn't as easy as the 60, but I did give you a $17 discount".
I asked him if there were any problems and he said no, transmission looks great. A-HOLES

Definitely not worth driving an hour each way and $571, let me tell you!

I have the receipt to prove this!

Oh yeah, he quoted me $1800 for a rear-end job (Eaton, Gear, etc.)
HAHAHA....That's a rear-end job alright!

I am not usually the one to talk bad about people....but this is fact, and I am still a little peaved about it.

Quick Reply: My TT3000 sucks!