Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

My turn, Camshaft suggestion

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2023, 09:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

I have a 4.8LS in a Tahoe, with stock torque converter and REALLY Like the TSP " Low Lift " .551" 212/218
Smooth idle@ 700 rpm, easy cold starts, runs great up to 6500 rpm.
The following users liked this post:
adriver (02-22-2023)
Old 02-19-2023, 09:14 PM
TECH Resident

Received 238 Likes on 185 Posts

Originally Posted by Fullpower
I have a 4.8LS in a Tahoe, with stock torque converter and REALLY Like the TSP " Low Lift " .551" 212/218
Smooth idle@ 700 rpm, easy cold starts, runs great up to 6500 rpm.
That's really what I want. I think the lobe chop sounds great, but its so annoying in stop and go traffic. I don't want to hate my daily driver for 3hp.
Old 02-19-2023, 09:15 PM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Received 786 Likes on 652 Posts

Originally Posted by adriver
That sounds like right about what every recommendation I found was. I was hoping having a manual would give me more options. Specifically to raise the powerband up from 1K to 3K+. Thinking I could get a slightly smaller band. but that would do a little more. (just not even sure if that's how it would work).
Being a manual, You could probably go with the Stage 3 The thing is, The larger you go you shift the power band up and start loosing low end torque. So unless you are racing what's the point? Tighting up the LSA to bring the power band back down will make it chop....
The following users liked this post:
adriver (02-22-2023)
Old 02-19-2023, 09:28 PM
TECH Resident

I drive it pretty aggressive, If I'm doing 70 in 5th, half the time I shift it to 4th and go, and half I'll drop it to 3rd at 5K rpms, and floor it for 800 more, for no other reason, then I like to try to have control over where I am in relation to traffic. I rarely drive in slow traffic. It's pretty much only when I get stuck in it because I'm just out and about, (maybe once a week or every other week). Even the slow areas around the neighborhood are decent hills, and I have to keep it revved higher in 2nd and 3rd. It just seems like when I need power, it's a lot more of upper RPMs, going up through the end of third. The only time I'm below 3Krpm is when I'm from a stop. If I have less than half a tank, I can't get on it anyways or I'll spin in first.
Old 02-19-2023, 09:29 PM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

That sounds like right about what every recommendation I found was. I was hoping having a manual would give me more options. Specifically to raise the powerband up from 1K to 3K+. Thinking I could get a slightly smaller band. but that would do a little more. (just not even sure if that's how it would work).
That's really what I want. I think the lobe chop sounds great, but its so annoying in stop and go traffic. I don't want to hate my daily driver for 3hp.
When you raise the Powerband like that It will effect your cruising and take off. You will hate driving it around... It won't be efficent until you get up into the powerband of the cam. If you listen to Richard Holdener in all the testing and comparison, He explains this. Its hard to show on a dyno but he has some were they pull it down to like 2k or 2500 to compare and you can see the loss on the low end to the point where it starts to get into it power band of the cam.

Old 02-19-2023, 09:32 PM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

I drive it pretty aggressive, If I'm doing 70 in 5th, half the time I shift it to 4th and go, and half I'll drop it to 3rd at 5K rpms, and floor it for 800 more, for no other reason, then I like to try to have control over where I am in relation to traffic. I rarely drive in slow traffic. It's pretty much only when I get stuck in it because I'm just out and about, (maybe once a week or every other week). Even the slow areas around the neighborhood are decent hills, and I have to keep it revved higher in 2nd and 3rd. It just seems like when I need power, it's a lot more of upper RPMs, going up through the end of third. The only time I'm below 3Krpm is when I'm from a stop. If I have less than half a tank, I can't get on it anyways or I'll spin in first.
These smaller cams will still make 40 or more HP over stock in that upper RPM.
Old 02-19-2023, 09:33 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 1FastBrick
When you raise the Powerband like that It will effect your cruising and take off. You will hate driving it around... It won't be efficent until you get up into the powerband of the cam. If you listen to Richard Holdener in all the testing and comparison, He explains this. Its hard to show on a dyno but he has some were they pull it down to like 2k or 2500 to compare and you can see the loss on the low end to the point where it starts to get into it power band of the cam.
definitely missed that, but that would get annoying too, and not worth a little extra. I was just watching his videos earlier. I'll see if I can find some more on cams from him.
Old 02-19-2023, 09:44 PM
TECH Resident

At the very least it shows there is some difference, but it's minimal. I thought it was worth it to focus on the minimal, but it's too minimal to give up drivability.

Last edited by adriver; 02-19-2023 at 09:52 PM.
Old 02-19-2023, 09:52 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1,276 Likes on 973 Posts

I get inspected annually. I couldn't do long tubes even if I wanted to unless I got two exhausts and swappped em out every year.
San Antonio and you can't find someone to pass you? They don't smog down there so unless your inspector is looking under your truck you should have zero issues.

Not that I condone such behavior....
Old 02-19-2023, 10:15 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by shakenfake
San Antonio and you can't find someone to pass you? They don't smog down there so unless your inspector is looking under your truck you should have zero issues.

Not that I condone such behavior....
I've been back here for about 5 years, and every inspection I've gone to they have a pit and go underneath. I know long tubes are also louder, which I didn't want. This exhaust should be good for a 6.0L too. I think longtubes sound obnoxious, and this sounds great. I'll see if I can make a video and try to post it.

Quick Reply: My turn, Camshaft suggestion