Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Need advice on a 5.3 cam swap for DD

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2011, 04:38 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need advice on a 5.3 cam swap for DD

Hi all,
I am a new member that has been researching the best cam swap for my daily driver 03 ex. cab 4X4 Silverado LM7. I have found members with awesome gains using the Comp xr265hr or similar spec Voodoo. I will pick one of those up soon. My plan is to just change the cam, valve springs, and timing chain only. My truck has 148000 miles, is very well maintained, and runs like a top. QUESTION, should I be pulling the heads and changing lifters, pushrods because of the mileage? Would you guys replace the oil pump? Anything else? My only mods are a Spectre cold air kit and Granatelli MAF. Thanks

Name:  ebaymarch011.jpg
Views: 270
Size:  139.4 KB
Old 03-08-2011, 02:49 PM
Teching In

bump...dumb questions?
Old 03-08-2011, 03:06 PM
On The Tree

No question is dumb. In the end its really all up to u. With my build I had only about 90k on all my lifters an oil pump and stuff like that but I'm deciding to go with all new just because it just makes me feel better knowing I have good stuff in there fore my new engine. Lifters could go forever, but I'm getting new ones also. So its really up to what makes u feel good and your budget lol
Old 03-08-2011, 05:22 PM
TECH Resident

ive hear lots of people running the xr265 cam as a daily, i personally have a 2wd 5.3 with an ls6 cam and ls6 springs that have 18k miles, i want more for my daily, so this month im installing a tr224 from a buddy, some 7.4 frugal hardened rods, and pac 1218 springs. my current 5.3 has 18k miles as well. trck still runs strong with no problems, its all in what you want your truck to do
Old 03-08-2011, 05:25 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the reply, I hear you, however I am trying to do this mod "on the cheap". I am thinking there are a lot of guys on here that have done just cam and spring swaps. I wanted to hear good stories of many trouble free miles after a swap like this.
Old 03-08-2011, 05:28 PM
TECH Resident

in that case, i had my ls6 cam and springs still in truck lol, have 18k miles, retuned with no problems, still runs strong. and that was just a cam/sring swap, of course in my rebuilt 5.3
Old 03-08-2011, 06:17 PM
TECH Addict

IMO using the word cheap is probably not the right term to use. We all value our vehicles in one way or another. I have an '02 and I've been through 3 GM 4L60E's under warranty, and when the last one crapped out I went after market.

Make sure that if you add up front you have the support on the back side, IE solid trans and rear gearing.

I think doing the preventative stuff also helps, like the trans flush, radiator flush, check your diff's, seals.. you know the list.

Sorry don't mean to be blabbing, I just have learned a lot over the past few years....

Welcome to the site.

Lisa
Old 03-08-2011, 07:12 PM
Teching In

Cheap may not have been the best choice of words. I just dont want to spend money I dont have to. I am kind of a maintenence freak, so the rest of the drivetrain is in good shape.
This truck is not my "hot rod" and it wont be flogged, it just commutes and will very occasionally tow a Camaro home if its broken. I want to do the cam swap because it appears GM left a lot on the table with the factory cam. If I can get more horsepower and a nice flat torque curve without losing milage or any drivability, sign me up!
Old 03-08-2011, 07:19 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by sidewayz71
Cheap may not have been the best choice of words. I just dont want to spend money I dont have to. I am kind of a maintenence freak, so the rest of the drivetrain is in good shape.
I want to do the cam swap because it appears GM left a lot on the table with the factory cam. If I can get more horsepower and a nice flat torque curve without losing milage or any drivability, sign me up!
I can't say that I've learned to be a maintenance freak, but hey close enough. I've learned to take care of my truck and my Husband's HHR SS (not stock either).

I agree with you completely about GM leaving some room on the table.
Old 03-12-2011, 07:06 AM
On The Tree

Yea, I agree with Lisa, CHeap is a word you never say around your beloved truck. But in all honesty call John at Thunder racing or TSP or hell even Geoff at EPS. But I would replace lifters and atleast the chain while you got it tore down. Pay now or pay twice later........

Quick Reply: Need advice on a 5.3 cam swap for DD