Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Need Advice On Belt Throwing Problem!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2006, 05:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 07-25-2006, 09:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Well I looked into the Vett fix and it isnt for the AC tensioner so scrap that idea. So here is the story. Last Friday I got a new cam in and that night we were attempting to tune it. We raised the shift points to around 7000(i cant remember exactly) to see how long it was pulling for a few WOT runs. Well when the RPMS went up to 7k I lost power steering,etc... it threw both belts. Or it threw th AC belt and it got caught in with the other one and threw it. That time the ac belt was damaged badly so we scrapped it. The big belt was fine. So I went and replaced the AC belt with a new one and now it is getting thrown when I make a WOT run. The big belt is perfectly fine and hasnt moved since the first night. As far as play the tensioner moves like a 1/8' front and back(towards and away from the motor). Im pretty sure this is normal.
Old 07-25-2006, 09:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

I don't know why this would be an answer I'd give you but it's worth a shot... Check to see if the A/C compressor is kinda lose. If it wiggles a little bit, then that's most likely the problem!! I know they didnt work on it so there's no reason it should be lose but just check anyway.
Old 07-25-2006, 10:06 AM
TECH Junkie

I've got an a/c belt tensioner and I believe a belt I can sell you....if you are interested?

The idea about buying a shorter belt doesn't seem logical....that fugger is hard enough to get on without it being any shorter.

How did you do the crank pulley? Did you tighten to 240lb/ft with the old bolt, then install the new bolt and torqued it down? You sure there wasn't any debris on the snout of the crank pulley that may be offsetting it a tad?
Old 07-26-2006, 10:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 01Blackerado
I don't know why this would be an answer I'd give you but it's worth a shot... Check to see if the A/C compressor is kinda lose. If it wiggles a little bit, then that's most likely the problem!! I know they didnt work on it so there's no reason it should be lose but just check anyway.

Well I have a nasty rubbing sound coming from whatg seems to be the AC compressor. It started slightly a year ago but now its is loud. In the last two months Ive had to replace the ac discharge hose/assy becuase it was leaking where the hose connects to the assy. I dont know. Ive had alot of AC problems lately. From the hoses leaking and releasing all the coolant,to what seems like the compressor(sounds like sticking a piece of wood on a fan blade), and the belts issue.