Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Need advice. Dont want to touch engine just yet.

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2011, 10:03 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need advice. Dont want to touch engine just yet.

Okay here is the deal, I was planing to go TVS route, but Im thinking about staying NA, and just building my Tahoe for a street beast, that can run with the best of them. I want to fully address the drivetrain! I am talking about out runing = sports cars, newer cars & trucks, diesel trucks, and slightly modded trucks. I have been doing some research and paying detail to times, and I realize some people are NA and are faster than FI setups. I dont really plan to take my truck to the track like that but I will for a time slip... I MAINLY just want a fun daily, than can run out, if its any clown or anyone wanting to play, I also want to hit the hwy with it, and run it for 10-12hrs maybe twice a year. My commute to work is about 30 miles hwy as well one way.

That being said. I want a cam, but I better gear the truck 1st if it will stay NA. So I can get a cam for the gears and stall together. My truck is heavy, its a 01 Tahoe. The wheels are 31.2" from a calculator online. My tires are 285/50/20. My stall is a 3200 Yank converter, tranny is a 4l60e, I do plan to add a TRUTRAC with the gear swap. The gear I was thinking would be a 4.30 with trutrac. Just dont want to hate it when I need to take that long trip. Personaly I think 4.56s will be too much, so Im highly leaning 4.30s.

Also I think I can go with a big cam as my gears would be lower with my high stall converter? Correct me here. I wont add a cam for another couple of months, maybe xmas. But I am planing here. My previous cam I was planing with the 3.73s was a 217/222 cam. I think I can go bigger cam now as my lowend will be replace by gears, and my curve will be shifited? I really need a expert here.

Whats a good cam for my new combo 4.30 gears and 3200 stall converter with lq9 6.0, LPP longtube heads with ORY, AIRAID CAI.

And do 4.30 gears on 31.2 inch tires sound performance oriented.
Old 04-18-2011, 11:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sleeperlqx
Okay here is the deal, I was planing to go TVS route, but Im thinking about staying NA, and just building my Tahoe for a street beast, that can run with the best of them. I want to fully address the drivetrain! I am talking about out runing = sports cars, newer cars & trucks, diesel trucks, and slightly modded trucks. I have been doing some research and paying detail to times, and I realize some people are NA and are faster than FI setups. I dont really plan to take my truck to the track like that but I will for a time slip... I MAINLY just want a fun daily, than can run out, if its any clown or anyone wanting to play, I also want to hit the hwy with it, and run it for 10-12hrs maybe twice a year. My commute to work is about 30 miles hwy as well one way.

That being said. I want a cam, but I better gear the truck 1st if it will stay NA. So I can get a cam for the gears and stall together. My truck is heavy, its a 01 Tahoe. The wheels are 31.2" from a calculator online. My tires are 285/50/20. My stall is a 3200 Yank converter, tranny is a 4l60e, I do plan to add a TRUTRAC with the gear swap. The gear I was thinking would be a 4.30 with trutrac. Just dont want to hate it when I need to take that long trip. Personaly I think 4.56s will be too much, so Im highly leaning 4.30s.

Also I think I can go with a big cam as my gears would be lower with my high stall converter? Correct me here. I wont add a cam for another couple of months, maybe xmas. But I am planing here. My previous cam I was planing with the 3.73s was a 217/222 cam. I think I can go bigger cam now as my lowend will be replace by gears, and my curve will be shifited? I really need a expert here.

Whats a good cam for my new combo 4.30 gears and 3200 stall converter with lq9 6.0, LPP longtube heads with ORY, AIRAID CAI.

And do 4.30 gears on 31.2 inch tires sound performance oriented.

If you rule out the TVS then you are on the right track, 4.30s, 3200 stall, go bigger on the cam though you will be perfectly fine with the 4.30's and that stall and plus heads with a bigger cam. With the higher compression from heads you can run bigger cam as well.

You will want a little bigger than a 217/222 imo. Look into a 224R at least or 222/228, 224/230, 228R or maybe a custom grind cam from eps.
Old 04-18-2011, 11:28 PM
Baltimore Whore

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Your not going to hang with any thing remotely fast if you plan to stay NA..
Old 04-18-2011, 11:32 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Mangled03gmc
truth

The tvs would be great in a tahoe. But if your set on n/a. Get the 4.30s with your converter and a 224 ish cam..
Old 04-19-2011, 12:10 AM
I have a gauge for that

Received 391 Likes on 261 Posts

exactly....

IMHO, you are making the wrong decision. Keep your current gears, and torque converter, get a blower cam from EPS or whoever, something like 212/220 on 117, throw on a tvs with a 3" pulley and have fun. You dont stand a chance against anything lighter and more power with an NA tahoe, and if you decide to go with big NA parts you are going to have more money into your setup than just getting a blower and its going to suck as a DD. Take it from a guy that has had more setups than most...slap on the blower with a cam and have fun.

Just read your sig, is this the first vehicle we are talking about with the 366? If so, and if the reason you dont want the TVS is because its too expensive, go with a used 1900 instead of the 2300. The 1900 will do fine on a 366 and will be an AWESOME daily driver with *** tons of torque off idle.
Old 04-19-2011, 12:45 AM
TECH Regular

Don't mean to thread jack, but how would a 244-248 612-615 @ 114 respond in the lq9 wit stock (p/p) heads?
Old 04-19-2011, 12:45 AM
Baltimore Whore

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 04Burban
Don't mean to thread jack, but how would a 244-248 612-615 @ 114 respond in the lq9 wit stock (p/p) heads?
Like **** unless you have a huge converter in there.. Now STOP HACKING
Old 04-19-2011, 12:55 AM
11 Second Hall Moniter

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

A N/A track beast would suck ballz as a daily driver. There are guys who do it, but without a power adder of some type, your daily driver is NOT going to be "destroying" those sports cars you talk about.

You were on the right track considering a blower, or other power adder.
Old 04-19-2011, 12:59 AM
11 Second Hall Moniter

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Going farther with it, is your truck 2 or 4 wheel drive? Unless it's a 4x4, you probably should stay away from the TVS, you'll never have enough traction. You already have a Yank 3200, which would work well with a P1 or D1 ProCharger. Since the boost is linear with engine rpm, you'll have better traction and still make alot of power. Something to think about.
Old 04-19-2011, 01:07 AM
TECH Regular

Like **** unless you have a huge converter in there.. Now STOP HACKING
Hey, we're all learning here right? I was trying to decide between a TVS, whipple or PC. A lot of signs point to PC - that being on the SS and the LM7 bored to 5.7

I was planning on going with like a 3600 stall on that lq9 setup.

Quick Reply: Need advice. Dont want to touch engine just yet.