Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Need advice. Dont want to touch engine just yet.

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2011, 02:32 AM
11 Second Hall Moniter

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You're on the D1 now, right? I've got a buddy who's probably going to want to upgrade after a cam swap. When you gonna run that bitch at the track?

And yeah, my boost level dropped, but I don't give a damn. My acceleration to 120 mph is considerably faster now. The compressor is spinning the same speed, and pushing the same amount of air, with less resistance. So yeah, more power. Not sure about swapping to a smaller pulley for more boost yet. Once I'm happy with the tune again, I'll check my IDC, but I was seeing 104% at 6400 rpm before all this work, so it probably won't happen. I may need to lower some shift points. We shall see.
Old 04-19-2011, 02:34 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mangled03gmc
Procharger = more rpms you feed them the more power they make.. TQ is not as huge hit, like a roots style blower.. So if you have a big converter and gears the PC is going to shine.. I can flat out blow the tires off at anything under 50-55 mph..

The roots, do not need big converters or gears to get them moving, but the initial hit of tq will roast the tires also.. They will shine more in the lower rpms, vs the PC..

Here is a half *** vid I got the other day, I am slowing rolling into the throttle. No where near close to WOT..

Originally Posted by AKlowriderZ71
No port work. Just a 3.0 pulley and some supporting mods with a decent tune(by me, so maybe decent is a stretch...)

But the OP already has a Yank 3200, so I'd point him towards a PC. After that, a cam swap and retune, and lookout!

I'm an advocate & dealer for both brands, so you won't see any hatin' going on by me.
***NOT EXTREMELY IMPORTANT***
What is your fuel economy like on these two setups?
Old 04-19-2011, 02:43 AM
11 Second Hall Moniter

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 04Burban
***NOT EXTREMELY IMPORTANT***
What is your fuel economy like on these two setups?
Good question. I'll have to check after I get the tune finished. With the 3.73's I was getting around 20 hwy/16-17 mixed. But I have a problem with my right foot, and I like the smell of burning rubber.
Old 04-19-2011, 02:47 AM
Baltimore Whore

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think I am getting about 15-16 hwy, 9 in the city.. I drive normal about 90% of the time..
Old 04-19-2011, 04:25 AM
11 sec. Truck Mod

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

And yeah, my boost level dropped, but I don't give a damn. My acceleration to 120 mph is considerably faster now.
I lost about 1.5 psi when i installed my headers.

For the guys who dont know, Boost is a measure of restriction, When AKlowrider added a free-er flowing exhaust, he lessened breathing restriction and hence made less boost, but more quality power . Having 8-9 psi of quality boost is WAYYY better than 10-12 psi of more restricted boost If ya know what i mean haha.

Any way for OP, for YOUR ideal setup,

I would Get a roots style blower -You have a heavy vehicle that needs grunt to get it moving.
I would Get a 2600-2800 triple disc stall
I would plan on swapping in a 4L80e, you'll have too sooner than later.
Get a blower friendly cam, headers, exhaust.
Might as well start with a 6.0.

And hell if ya arnet feeling fast enough throw a 75-100 shot on it for the extra edge if ya need it.

Either way you go you Def. want Forced Induction.
Old 04-19-2011, 04:43 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by TIM Z
For the guys who dont know, Boost is a measure of restriction, When AKlowrider added a free-er flowing exhaust, he lessened breathing restriction and hence made less boost, but more quality power . Having 8-9 psi of quality boost is WAYYY better than 10-12 psi of more restricted boost If ya know what i mean haha.

I did not know that. It makes a lot more sense now. Thank you. I am so green to the whole forced induction thing i honestly feel like a retard lol.

Originally Posted by TIM Z
Any way for OP, for YOUR ideal setup,

I would Get a roots style blower -You have a heavy vehicle that needs grunt to get it moving.
I would Get a 2600-2800 triple disc stall
I would plan on swapping in a 4L80e, you'll have too sooner than later.
Get a blower friendly cam, headers, exhaust.
Might as well start with a 6.0.

And hell if ya arnet feeling fast enough throw a 75-100 shot on it for the extra edge if ya need it.

Either way you go you Def. want Forced Induction.
Talking on roots style blowers, which one would you recommend? TVS 1900? Whipple? Magnuson? Which one is the most highly recommended.

Also, is the LS6 cam "blower friendly"?

Sorry if I'm asking too many ?s.
Old 04-19-2011, 08:18 AM
TECH Addict

Lol this turned into a supercharger discussion rather quickly
Old 04-19-2011, 09:22 AM
TECH Regular

Hey I gotta be able to keep up wit ya'll fools
Old 04-19-2011, 01:34 PM
TECH Resident

Going farther with it, is your truck 2 or 4 wheel drive? Unless it's a 4x4, you probably should stay away from the TVS, you'll never have enough traction. You already have a Yank 3200, which would work well with a P1 or D1 ProCharger. Since the boost is linear with engine rpm, you'll have better traction and still make alot of power. Something to think about.
well its a 2wd truck. but my tires are pretty wide & big 285/50/20. I have looked at D1 in the past and was impressed. Im going to have to do more research on one.
Old 04-19-2011, 01:37 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Mangled03gmc
Your not going to hang with any thing remotely fast if you plan to stay NA..
nuff said. I would be very dissapointed after that....

Quick Reply: Need advice. Dont want to touch engine just yet.