Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Need cam kit advice for my 6.2 L86 build.

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2023, 02:11 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need cam kit advice for my 6.2 L86 build.

Hey everyone,
To start the story I recently had a FBO 5.3 in my 15’ Silverado 1500 pickup, it sent a rod through the bottom of it somehow and I am not even gonna try and fix it figure it out. I have a 6.2 L86 engine sitting waiting to be played with! I want to slide a good cam into this thing, as well as probably needing to couple it with a torque converter. I would love all good cam kit ideas you have. I am also transferring over my LT2 intake manifold, 95mm TB, and long tube headers. I want some damn good power, as well as good reliability through the kit. You guys know the deal.
Thank you for all the input, and I look forward to sharing this build with you all!

Old 03-26-2023, 10:34 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1,276 Likes on 973 Posts

Probably a stage 3 truck kit from Texas Speed if you are gonna do a converter. Stage 2 would be better though

Call Circle D for the converter
Old 03-26-2023, 10:41 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by shakenfake
Probably a stage 3 truck kit from Texas Speed if you are gonna do a converter. Stage 2 would be better though

Call Circle D for the converter

I was looking at their kits earlier, then have the stage 1 and 2 of course, then they have the “el c7” cam. are the specs too aggressive on it?
Old 03-26-2023, 07:27 PM
TECH Veteran

Yes way too much for any truck you want to drive on the street or daily.
Old 03-26-2023, 10:24 PM
Teching In

Yes way too much for any truck you want to drive on the street or daily.

yea, seemed like that as much. the “stage 2” kit seems a little better with 227/242 .646"/.631" 112 LSA. i don’t mind a little bit less street manners but of course i don’t need to be dealing with the reliability and obnoxious bs of a race truck cam. if u know what i mean
Old 03-27-2023, 12:31 AM
TECH Veteran

That cam is also too big for a truck. Look at the 5.3 stage 2 cam. That one is so much better. The LT1 6.2 cam you are looking at is for cars.

Not saying it wouldn’t work but it is going to suck massive **** in a truck.
The following users liked this post:
zz454Chevelle67 (03-27-2023)
Old 03-27-2023, 12:27 PM
Teching In

That cam is also too big for a truck. Look at the 5.3 stage 2 cam. That one is so much better. The LT1 6.2 cam you are looking at is for cars.

Not saying it wouldn’t work but it is going to suck massive **** in a truck.

lmfao good to know. makes sense as there’s no blur with an L83 cam, it’s really only found in a truck. whereas 6.2 is LT1/L86 so there’s a lot more blur.
I don’t mind a semi-aggressive cam, so if you think (Stage 3 V2 Camshaft w/ +10% Fuel Lobe: 222/236 .610"/.610" 113 LSA, 110 ICL) is still not horrible for a truck, I don’t mind. but if there isn’t enough of a difference between the stage 2 and stage 3, I’ll consider “stage 2”.
Thanks for all the help so far, by the way.
Old 03-27-2023, 02:24 PM
TECH Veteran

Okay I think you have a small misunderstanding, and it is not your fault completely as most cam companies market this **** sub-optimally. When you see 5.3 cams they are almost always designated truck cams, anything that says LT1 or LT4 is going to be designated car cams. HOWEVER they both can go in any vehicle. You can put an LT1 cam in an L83 but it may not be optimal depending on what you are trying to do with it.

Let's leave the stage portion behind us for a moment and the designation between L83 and LT1 cam behind as well. For a truck to keep it tame on the street and still add power everywhere (converter and other variables will have an effect on this but for simplicity sake we are bone stock) you will want a 20x/20x or 20x/21x cam. Higher lift, .600/.600, allows for more power than lower lift, .500/.500 or so. I am more familiar with the LS generations over the LT Gen V but they are mostly the same. I would NOT run that cam you posted in a truck. It is going to be too big and your truck will be a pig down low where you need it.

The questions we need to ask though before we can really begin to cam spec involves your accessory parts. For example, tire size, gears, converter, goal for the truck. All of these things are going to want to be known before we get to speccing a cam. THEN you really want to know what heads you are running. Cams are great but the big money and power are in the heads. If you have a big honkin cam and some shitty stock heads then you basically just wasted your money and will never take full advantage of your camshaft. Everything has to match in synch. It's a big dance that all the parts and pieces do.
The following 2 users liked this post by shakenfake:
68Formula (03-27-2023), zz454Chevelle67 (03-28-2023)
Old 03-27-2023, 06:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 149 Likes on 102 Posts

Another factor to consider when choosing, is whether or not you plan to keep the VVT.

Whichever you do choose, contact the manufacturer and tell them your engine details, so they can verify the fuel lobe is sufficient to feed the high pressure injectors.

Last edited by 68Formula; 03-27-2023 at 06:27 PM.
Old 03-27-2023, 08:43 PM
Teching In

Okay I think you have a small misunderstanding, and it is not your fault completely as most cam companies market this **** sub-optimally. When you see 5.3 cams they are almost always designated truck cams, anything that says LT1 or LT4 is going to be designated car cams. HOWEVER they both can go in any vehicle. You can put an LT1 cam in an L83 but it may not be optimal depending on what you are trying to do with it.

Let's leave the stage portion behind us for a moment and the designation between L83 and LT1 cam behind as well. For a truck to keep it tame on the street and still add power everywhere (converter and other variables will have an effect on this but for simplicity sake we are bone stock) you will want a 20x/20x or 20x/21x cam. Higher lift, .600/.600, allows for more power than lower lift, .500/.500 or so. I am more familiar with the LS generations over the LT Gen V but they are mostly the same. I would NOT run that cam you posted in a truck. It is going to be too big and your truck will be a pig down low where you need it.

The questions we need to ask though before we can really begin to cam spec involves your accessory parts. For example, tire size, gears, converter, goal for the truck. All of these things are going to want to be known before we get to speccing a cam. THEN you really want to know what heads you are running. Cams are great but the big money and power are in the heads. If you have a big honkin cam and some shitty stock heads then you basically just wasted your money and will never take full advantage of your camshaft. Everything has to match in synch. It's a big dance that all the parts and pieces do.

yup this definitely cleared **** up for me. thanks.
im currently on 305/50R20's, I have the LT2 intake mani, LT5 throttle body, headers, with no cats. Figured I would just throw that info in there, as well as tire size to give everyone here a stronger idea of what I am working with.
As far as a converter goes, I will be purchasing one varying on the intensity and the requirement of the cam. I'm pretty sure I have 3.42 gears in the rear, as they are stock. Not positive though. I am on stock heads though, not sure where to go with that. I wasn't fully planning on running aftermarket heads due to the time frame I am given to get this all together, but I still will take suggestions regardless then go from there.
Edit: L86 Stock Heads: 297 CC intake runner volume / 107 cc exhaust , 56.5 cc chambers

Last edited by gavinfaulkner44; 03-27-2023 at 08:55 PM.

Quick Reply: Need cam kit advice for my 6.2 L86 build.