Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

need cats, what's loudest option?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2007, 09:32 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need cats, what's loudest option?

i know not everyone is going to like this, but im putting in a cut out post cat (maryland emissions suck) and im wondering what the loudest possibility is for my truck to get when opening the cut out. basically, should i just leave it as is or should i dump it somewhere or maybe even install a second muffler/bullet (doubt that will help)
Old 06-12-2007, 09:41 AM
Moderately Differentiated

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

loudest for who? you? passenger? or cars to your left or right? Obviously the sooner the cutout the louder it will be. I promise you, dump it immediately and it will be f-ing loud. It will suck in the cab. IMO, if you want to do this, take it to the passenger side.

Where are you in MD?
Old 06-12-2007, 10:36 AM
TECH Apprentice

lol with cats its not gonna be that loud imo... i ran around with my catback off for a day with stock manifolds/cats and i think that was quieter than my truck is now with pacesetters and the same catback with the short *** magnaflow muffler on it...
Old 06-12-2007, 11:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

http://www.car-sound.com/02product/universal/race.asp
Old 06-12-2007, 11:22 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

a hollowed out cat will be the loudest, or one with a pipe threw it.
Old 06-12-2007, 11:44 AM
12 Second Club

go with the magna flow 8inch cats..
they dont quite down the exhaust very much more than straight pipe.

Do a search for the magna flow cats on here and you should be able to find them..
I dont exactly remember the part number but it was 95#### or something like that..
I would have to go home, and look it up, but you could probably search for it faster here.
Old 06-12-2007, 05:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

i heard having the cut out post cat and nothing else will sound like straight pipe and that it will sound like ***. im looking for loud from the outside and cab drone isnt a huge issue being that ill have an e cut out and can 'turn it off' whenever i feel like

dewmanshu, im from annapolis....know of any good exhaust shops to hit up? everyone i've called does not know what a cut out is and when i explain it to them they want $100-$150 just to weld in one
Old 06-12-2007, 05:48 PM
TECH Resident

If you are only interested in having the catalytic converter for visual inspection purposes then buy a 50$ catalytic converter on ebay and hollow it out. I took a 3" hole saw and a hammer handle and put it after the Y-pipe.. The guys at the muffler shop got a laugh, and I got an inspection sticker out of it where I had previously failed the visual.

Good luck!

-Lurius
Old 06-12-2007, 06:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

dynatech powercats on summitracing

Last edited by dewmanshu; 06-12-2007 at 06:19 PM. Reason: non-sponsor link removed
Old 06-12-2007, 06:28 PM
Moderately Differentiated

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dropkick13
i heard having the cut out post cat and nothing else will sound like straight pipe and that it will sound like ***. im looking for loud from the outside and cab drone isnt a huge issue being that ill have an e cut out and can 'turn it off' whenever i feel like

dewmanshu, im from annapolis....know of any good exhaust shops to hit up? everyone i've called does not know what a cut out is and when i explain it to them they want $100-$150 just to weld in one
hit up member Whippled 496, he's in annapolis. He may know some one. I am down in Montgomery County. What ever a shop charges to put a muffler in is gonna be the same labor. Maybe a couple more bucks to put an extension on it. You can do the wiring yourself.

If you have the ability to tune, you can tune out the rear o2 sensors and gut the cats like everyone says. Or you can get o2 sims. The rear is just making sure the cats are doing there job. Your MD inspection can be visual but usually isn't. It is all OBDII plug in. You can't have any codes set and you need to have 80% of your readiness tests passed (pretty much). They reserve the right to dyno test or tail pipe test ya but usually will not. Maryland VEIP LINKY

I had my ecut out after the y-pipe, sure the cats drown the sound some, but LOL I assure you it's loud. Stock cats or not. Can it be louder, sure, gut your cats or get larger cats like mentioned above.

Quick Reply: need cats, what's loudest option?