Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

need cats, what's loudest option?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2007, 06:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dewmanshu
hit up member Whippled 496, he's in annapolis. He may know some one. I am down in Montgomery County. What ever a shop charges to put a muffler in is gonna be the same labor. Maybe a couple more bucks to put an extension on it. You can do the wiring yourself.

If you have the ability to tune, you can tune out the rear o2 sensors and gut the cats like everyone says. Or you can get o2 sims. The rear is just making sure the cats are doing there job. Your MD inspection can be visual but usually isn't. It is all OBDII plug in. You can't have any codes set and you need to have 80% of your readiness tests passed (pretty much). They reserve the right to dyno test or tail pipe test ya but usually will not. Maryland VEIP LINKY

I had my ecut out after the y-pipe, sure the cats drown the sound some, but LOL I assure you it's loud. Stock cats or not. Can it be louder, sure, gut your cats or get larger cats like mentioned above.
the visual is what i was worried about but the people that work emissions are retarded. My girlfriend's car just failed visual before they even hooked up the plug in because of a tiny hole. I think I'll just throw the cut out on after the Y and just go from there...ill talk to whippled496 about a place
Old 06-12-2007, 07:01 PM
TECH Resident

Haha, yea. As I mentioned above, I put that cat on to pass visuals and when I went back to show them I installed the cat, and to get my sticker they told me it passes... After looking at the wrong side of the truck, lol. They just did it for appearance sake I guess.

-Lurius
Old 06-12-2007, 07:07 PM
TECH Regular

I recently installed a TSP catted Y on my Z28 and was surprised at how loud the car still was. All the cats did was get rid of RASP. I have a cut out in my Y after the cats and I can barely tell a difference with it open vs when I had no cats and open exhaust. My car sounds a lot better with cats though. After my experience I would not worry much about high flow cats killing how loud your truck is.
Old 06-12-2007, 10:12 PM
Teching In

Loudest is no cats.