Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Need exhaust opinions & ideas

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2011, 09:53 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need exhaust opinions & ideas

I'm currently on my 7th or so exhaust on this truck, current setup is ARH 1-7/8" longtubes with catless mids with a corsa sport full catback. I absolutely love how it sounds at idle and WOT but cursing around at 55mph it has the worst raspy banging noise you can imagine, I'll try to get a video of it so you guys can know exactly what I'm talking about. If I can somehow cure that annoying sounds I'll gladly keep the corsa but I've been doing some thinking on my exhaust setup. I'm thinking about going back to a magnaflow setup with a dual 3" in and single 3.5 or 4" out and either run the tail pipe out with a turndown under the bed or keep the corsa tips. With my setup with the d1 I'm not sure I'll gain anything from the larger piping nor do I expect to really, I just can't handle that noise I'm getting at 55. Anyway, let's hear some thoughts or ideas on either how to get rid of the banging noise if anyone has any and I'll try to get a video up in the next couple hours for y'all to understand what I'm talking about a little better.
Old 10-12-2011, 04:00 PM

Received 61 Likes on 60 Posts

I,ve heard that the corse sport with a catless mid pipe can be a little overwhelming. I have also heard (from reputable big name exhaust companies) that a dual in single out muffler is more prone to resonance and interior noise than a single in muffler is, so maybe you should think about running 3" to 3.5" Y pipe into a 3.5" muffler. That would also be a great opportunity to run a cut out if you choose to. Thats what my plan is when the time comes. Part of me wishes I went with the 5.3 style Y pipe from ARH with a 3.5" collector... oh well. I'm still a ways away from making that move. I hate how the one side goes down to 2.5" on the ARH kit though, now I will need to cut some of that pipe off when I make the change.

How much boost do you plan with the D1? You'll be in the 11's no sweat! You must be pretty amped about that.

Last edited by Vortec350ss; 10-12-2011 at 04:09 PM.
Old 10-12-2011, 11:49 PM
TECH Resident

with my old LPP headers i was running a single 3.5" exhaust and I liked it alot, but i stumbled across a deal today that may have made my mind up. Another guy here in town with an SSS has a dual 3" in single 4" out magnaflow on his truck currently and said hed like to trade me for the corsa, plus cash on his end of course, so i may take him up on that and if i end up not liking it ill sell the muffler and go back to a si/so exhaust. I plan to ride in his truck before i do any swapping to see how bad it drones.

I was only planning on running in the 10-12psi range with the D1 as i was only running 8-9 on the P1 but went WOT for the first time tonight since i put the D1 on and got the tranny put back together and at 90mph i was getting 15psi, so i may be looking for a slightly larger pulley, im not sure if im comfortable with 15psi on a stock motor with 118k miles on it and no meth
Old 10-13-2011, 12:15 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

I have the ARHS, with the 3" CATTED Y, and Corsa Touring. It's pretty damn perfect in my opinion. Just cruising around it's just a hair louder than stock, with no rasp or anything. Cruising on the highway it's as quiet as stock. But when I get on it, it's downright NASTY.

I did a lot of research before buying the Corsa, and everything I read said to go with the Touring, especially if you aren't running cats. Also, I read that at WOT the two are the same, but the Touring isn't nearly as obnoxious as the sport. Personally, I think the Sport is good for stock vehicles, anything else go with the Touring.
Old 10-13-2011, 12:15 AM
11 Second Hall Moniter

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Have you seen my exhaust thread?
Old 10-13-2011, 12:35 AM
TECH Resident

the touring is what i originally wanted but ended up ordering the wrong part number

yeah man ive been reading some of it, havent checked it out in a while though, ill go read up
Old 10-13-2011, 12:37 AM
11 Second Hall Moniter

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm about to order a MBRP muffler. I find out tomorrow how bad I get hit with my quarterly taxes....... Just waiting until I consult with my accountant.
Old 10-13-2011, 12:54 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

I could see how you ordered the sport, it was about $90 cheaper than the Touring!
Old 10-13-2011, 12:55 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by AKlowriderZ71
I'm about to order a MBRP muffler. I find out tomorrow how bad I get hit with my quarterly taxes....... Just waiting until I consult with my accountant.
haha well let me know how you like it if you get it on soon. only reason im not going back to a single 3.5" or 4" exhaust is i dont want to screw with changing mid pipes or welding in a y pipe to the ARH mids when i could do basically the same thing with a di/so muffler. im thinking the 5x11x22 dual 3" in single 4" out magnaflow with a tail pipe dumped under the bed will get the job done, it will quiet it down enough to keep passengers and the neighbors happy and i wont have to put up with the Corsa being loud as fu*k ALL the time. i love the way the corsa sounds, and im sure id be happier with the touring over the sport but i cant make myself spend another 800 bucks on a catback, even if i could sell my current one.
Old 10-13-2011, 12:56 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by GMCtrk
I could see how you ordered the sport, it was about $90 cheaper than the Touring!
that and i guess i had the part numbers backwards in my head. lol

arent you in Dallas or am i thinking of someone else with a gmc?

Quick Reply: Need exhaust opinions & ideas