Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Need a few mods for 5.3 Yukon...

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2003, 09:29 PM
Mortgage Banker Mod

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need a few mods for 5.3 Yukon...

We just picked up a 2003 Yukon, it's got the5.3 and 3.73's, but we just want to personalize it a 'bit'.

Namely, an intake, programmer, and JL box for the time being. Which intakes are people liking now, FIPK, Volant, etc.?

What about programmers, the HPP3, Predator, Superchips?

My main concern is lifting the top speed ban, how fast will these things run on the top end anyway?
Old 09-27-2003, 09:40 PM
blownerator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Re: Need a few mods for 5.3 Yukon...

How about some wheels? We got a great deal on Centerline 20 inch. Check the classifieds.

Congrats on the new truck! Have fun!
Old 09-27-2003, 09:42 PM
TECH Resident

I would say Westers Tuning, UPD intake, X pipe into 2 spintech or magnaflow mufflers. Plus the wheels Blown is talking about. Its what I want to do anyway. Stereo wise, a JL stealth box like you mentioned would be nice. Have fun!
Old 09-27-2003, 09:50 PM
Mortgage Banker Mod

Cool, I'll wait on the wheels until we burn these new tires down

I didn't see the UPD intake on tbyrne's website (which is the only one I had time to check), is that the one showing the most gains on the dyno?

I did see a Velocity Stack, 22rwtq gain? Snake oil or are people really seeing this?

Old 09-27-2003, 11:17 PM
blownerator

have not seen any dyno numbers on the stack.....
So far it sounds like snake oil!
Old 09-28-2003, 11:15 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Blown,

I bet if you used the stack with the Tornado air managment foil would make about 75 RWHP if I had to bet. sorry just had to

lenny
Old 09-28-2003, 11:58 AM
blownerator

Blown,

I bet if you used the stack with the Tornado air managment foil would make about 75 RWHP if I had to bet. sorry just had to

lenny
That combo should yeild about 73 RWHP
Old 09-28-2003, 04:04 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Man you came to the right place in order to get the best bang for the buck.As you can see in the above post i just did an 03 tahoe 4x4,it is bone stock with stock tire size.Westers tune is the best thing you can do for the first mod.Call Lyndon and
have him do yours exactly like he did mine.Then do the UPD,then do a set of long tube headers.I am not big on catbacks because any aftermarket will cause a drone that may or may not drive you nuts.I am surprised Tom is willing to endorse that snake oil velocity stack,The claim was up to 20+ HP gain? Ya on WTF vehical,i would like to know exactly which vehical they got this on and would they guarrenty 10HP gain on that same vehical.You know they wont.
Old 09-29-2003, 10:05 PM
Mortgage Banker Mod

Man you came to the right place in order to get the best bang for the buck.As you can see in the above post i just did an 03 tahoe 4x4,it is bone stock with stock tire size.Westers tune is the best thing you can do for the first mod.Call Lyndon and
have him do yours exactly like he did mine.Then do the UPD,then do a set of long tube headers.I am not big on catbacks because any aftermarket will cause a drone that may or may not drive you nuts.
Since it's new and I don't want to void the warranty, is the 'tune' removable or swappable back to stock easily? I've had 'chips' before and HPP3's where I could just remove the tuning before taking it in for work.

Thanks for the suggestions, what will these things run on the top end with the Wester's tuning and 3.73's?
Old 09-29-2003, 11:22 PM
TECH Veteran

Thanks for the suggestions, what will these things run on the top end with the Wester's tuning and 3.73's?
130-140mph maybe...remember the faster you go the drag created multiplies exponentially. On top of that you are driving a 5500lbs+ non aerodynamic brick like the rest of us.

If you have never hit aerodynamic drag it is a trip!

Quick Reply: Need a few mods for 5.3 Yukon...