Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Need Help ASAP!!!Engine won't turn over!

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2007, 10:40 PM
14 Second Truck Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Zick
Right in this area where I circled red. Sorry, best picture I had.
Thanks for the picture! Yeah, I remember doing that one. I'll double check it though.

WHere does the braided strap on the firewall go? I put it with the other ground strap on the back of the head.
Old 01-04-2007, 10:42 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Hemi Killer
Thanks for the picture! Yeah, I remember doing that one. I'll double check it though.

WHere does the braided strap on the firewall go? I put it with the other ground strap on the back of the head.

I'm pretty sure it went to the back of the head.
Old 01-04-2007, 10:44 PM
TECH Addict

Actually going through some of my pictures it looks like there should be one ground strap on the back of each head. The passenger side has a smaller ground strap.
Old 01-04-2007, 10:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

i had the same problem and i had a heavy ground wire that went to the bottom of the block
Old 01-04-2007, 11:23 PM
14 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by Zick
Actually going through some of my pictures it looks like there should be one ground strap on the back of each head. The passenger side has a smaller ground strap.
I didn't reassemble everything with a ground strap to the passenger side, I need to look around, I might have overlooked it. Where does it connect to from the head?
Old 01-05-2007, 06:39 AM
TECH Regular

Does the dash and eveything else work? but the starter wont turn over? On mine the headers have heated the wire that tells the starter solinoid to engage and made it brittle. if everything else works and the starter wont turn, look at this wire....Good Ruck
Old 01-05-2007, 09:51 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Hemi Killer
I didn't reassemble everything with a ground strap to the passenger side, I need to look around, I might have overlooked it. Where does it connect to from the head?
Here is the picture w/ the ground circled. Sorry for another poor quality image but it's the best I have. It looks like it goes into the wire harness in the back.
Old 01-05-2007, 09:57 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by dirt_track_racer_81
i had the same problem and i had a heavy ground wire that went to the bottom of the block
You know how many times that stupid ground keep me from starting in the mornings. More times then I care to remember. I had that thing perfectly clean and tight and it didn't matter. Finally I put a bunch of dielectric grease on the threads of the bolt and head. After that it worked great. I never figured out why it wasn't making very good contact.
Old 01-05-2007, 10:09 AM
High on diesel fumes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had 5 grounds total on my motor. Two (including the big one straight from the negative battery post) went to the lower driver's side of the engine block. One (the ground strap from the firewall) bolted to the driver's side of the block in between the heads at the back of the motor. Two more (one from the coil pack harness and one from somewhere else - maybe the tranny harness?) went to the passenger side of the block in between the heads at the back of the motor.
Old 01-05-2007, 10:11 AM
TECH Junkie

Pull the plugs out and try to turn ir over by hand with a breaker bar on the crank bolt. If it still doesnt turn over you have a mechanical problem in the engine. I've seen engines with improper deck clearance do this, as well as engines with cams installed wrong.

If it turns over by hand with no plugs, put the plugs back and try it again. It will be hard but it should still turn. The cam could be 180* out and be holding too much compression for the starter to turn over. Doubtful but possible.

Quick Reply: Need Help ASAP!!!Engine won't turn over!