Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Need help on E-fan-pin 42?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2010, 10:14 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help on E-fan-pin 42?

Well Got the clutch fan out, set the fans in there and made brackets, bolted it up. Put the grounds on, put the positives on, and now I'm trying to figure out where the other two wires go.

I was told the harness I bought (secondhand) was a 1 pin nelson harness. It has a wire with a pcm pin on it, and it has a green wire that is capped off with wireloom.

I've read and read, and it seems that the green wire (its actually white coming out of the harness-it was spliced to a green wire and then capped off) needs to splice into the DARK green wire in the wire loom harness by the red power box. Why would this green wire be capped off? Could the harness work with just grounds, power, and the one pin wire?

It seems that the pin wire needs to be in pin 42. I've read Nelsons directions on finding the correct area for this pin, It states something like theres a blue connector that you need to remove using a 7mm socket, then theres a clear cover on it....etc....

There is no blue connector that I can see under there with a 7mm bolt. There is a red on green one, grey....so on and so forth.

Where is the correct connector, and how do you tell which is pin 42, as I dont see any numbers. This is on a 2001 truck. Thanks! Figured I might as well post the questions on here while I continue to search.
Old 07-03-2010, 10:22 PM
Banned

EDIT: Its a 1 pin Blackbear harness-not nelson.....anyone have install instructions on it?
Old 07-03-2010, 10:46 PM
11 sec. Truck Mod

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The 7mm bolt holds the connector in the PCM, loosen the 7mm bolts and unplug the PCM.

Then, you'll see how the plastic cover on each connector you just unplugged can be taken off to access the wires.

Once that cover is off you should see very small numbers where each wire lead is .

Find the blank spot numbered 42 . Push a needle or equivelent thru it to knock out/thru the rubber plig.

Then insert the PIN/ wire from the Blackbear harness . Push it in as far as you can, might need to use a small nail or paperclip. It should " lock" in and be even with the surrounding PINS.

Then put the connector back together and reinstall connectors on the PCM.

Hope this helps as its from memory.
Old 07-04-2010, 01:48 AM
Banned

Well Thanks for the info, I eventually gave up on the internet, took another look under the hood, and found that I was under the completely wrong box! I was looking under the fusebox....

Either way, I got em working. Pushed a small allen wrench through the hole, lubed it with wd-40, the pin went in flawlessly. Then I spliced two of the wrong green wires in the loom before I found the third and right one.

Fans work flawlessly. I can actually feel the difference, the truck doesnt feel as sluggish anymore, plus I love not hearing the "tornado" sound of that clutch fan when the truck was hot and had been idling.

Heres a pic, yes I know the engine is dirty as **** but thats what happens when you have 160,000 miles and the first half of its life it was a mud truck lol.

Old 07-04-2010, 09:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Now you could update the air intake to an electric fan one.
Old 07-04-2010, 04:11 PM
11 sec. Truck Mod

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Looks good man, Def a must have mod.