Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Need help with LQ4 cam selection

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2010, 03:57 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by silverz28camaro
IDK about the 4.2l TC. never worked with one.

I always thought that anytime you went aftermarket on the cam you need the good aftermarket springs/pushrods/etc for the faster ramp rates of the aftermarket cams.

Look into it but I thought the ls6 cam would make more low tq then any of the cams you have listed above.

What size converter is the 4.2L? is it a full 12in. converter? The trt2600 is an 11inch converter making it about 10lbs lighter. litther quiker revs.

If you went to a 2800 10inch stall most of those are around 20lbs lighter then the 12 in. converters.

I had a 2800 in my camaro a few years back and loved it...drove really nice, but when I put in my 224 cam my 330 foot was the same at the track, it wasn't until after the 330foot untill the car started gaining time over my stock ls1 cam. I went 3600 on the stall and the car cam alive, spun to a faster 1/4 mile by .2 tenths..

If I put a stall in my ls1 ram I'll go 2800 on a 10in converter. I found a ls6 cam last night from a guy that I'm going to run.
I wasnt sure so I went and checked. The Chevrolet Trailblazer 4.2L TC is infact a great upgrade used behind a LQx. Circle D Specialties out of Houston sells modified ones for like $350 and they stall at 2700. I think there a sponsor on here or LS1tech. Thats probably the one im going to go with once I figure out my cam.
Old 08-08-2010, 04:12 PM
TECH Addict

Do it once and do it right. Will save you money in the long run.
230+duration cam
Springs good for .650 lift
3500+ 9.5" converter
All bolt-ons

Should be pretty close to 400 if you set it up right. If not, a 90mm intake/tb and a better set of heads would do it for sure.
Old 08-08-2010, 06:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I’m not suggesting you or anyone else for that matter run out and buy one, especially since you’re on a pretty tight budget, but for just comparison sake. The Lingenfelter GT2-3 cam which is basically just a higher lift version of the ’02 and up LS6 cam, one that would also appear to give up bottom end for top end, doesn’t necessarily do so. Tuned properly they can do pretty darn well. I had the GT2-3 in mine well before I added the supercharger due to wanting a smooth idle and Wheatley’s father has one in his 2002 4WD with a NA LM7 5.3L, 31.5” tires with 3.73 gears and on down-shift’s it will slightly break the tires loose going back into 1st. He choose the cam for the same reason I did, slightly more power with a dead nuts smooth idle and loves it. From your choices that you’ve given for us to select from, I too would most likely choose the TR220 for your performance goals in conjunction with a modified Trailblazer converter from Circle D. Spending your money wisely, you should also be able to put some towards a set of long tubes if you already don’t have a set and can end up with a very reliable daily driver that has decent performance and still get reasonable mileage and so on. It may not run as hard as some other combinations, but that doesn’t mean it still won’t be enjoyable to drive and if your components are chosen wisely, you can build on them later without having to do a lot of swapping around, which will cost you more in the long run. Everyone has been there, but anytime you can have a plan and fairly well stick to it, the better off you will be.
Old 08-08-2010, 07:21 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 1Bear
I’m not suggesting you or anyone else for that matter run out and buy one, especially since you’re on a pretty tight budget, but for just comparison sake. The Lingenfelter GT2-3 cam which is basically just a higher lift version of the ’02 and up LS6 cam, one that would also appear to give up bottom end for top end, doesn’t necessarily do so. Tuned properly they can do pretty darn well. I had the GT2-3 in mine well before I added the supercharger due to wanting a smooth idle and Wheatley’s father has one in his 2002 4WD with a NA LM7 5.3L, 31.5” tires with 3.73 gears and on down-shift’s it will slightly break the tires loose going back into 1st. He choose the cam for the same reason I did, slightly more power with a dead nuts smooth idle and loves it. From your choices that you’ve given for us to select from, I too would most likely choose the TR220 for your performance goals in conjunction with a modified Trailblazer converter from Circle D. Spending your money wisely, you should also be able to put some towards a set of long tubes if you already don’t have a set and can end up with a very reliable daily driver that has decent performance and still get reasonable mileage and so on. It may not run as hard as some other combinations, but that doesn’t mean it still won’t be enjoyable to drive and if your components are chosen wisely, you can build on them later without having to do a lot of swapping around, which will cost you more in the long run. Everyone has been there, but anytime you can have a plan and fairly well stick to it, the better off you will be.
Thanks alot 1BEAR I appreciate it. Your exactly right, I have a budget and really need to stick to it. College tuition takes up a lost of my money, Im not interested in having THE fastest truck, but rather one that works well and outputs more than stock.

It looks like TR220 will be more than likely what im going to go with. I am also curious, what length pushrods am I going to need with the heads milled .030?